A night of bug hunting

rckmtlrckmtl Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited July 22, 2006 in Holy Macro
Tropical style heat and humidity here the last few days have made for all kinds of bugs sticking their heads out. Bug shots still are a bit tricky for me, so I only have a few shots to share, but I had fun getting them!

Dragonfly-had bunches of theses little ones out, in all different colors. The challange I had was getting a decent shot from the front. Bug butts tend to be just as boring as animal butts.
grndrgflycropresize.jpg

Red-ish dragonfly- kinda a behind shot this time, but I liked the grass around him
reddrgnflycropresize.jpg

Shiny beatles- actually, these guys weren't too bad. They sat still the whole time!
beattles4resize.jpg

More beatles
beatlles2resize.jpg

Mr. bug! He flew off before I could get a better framed shot, but his antenna are so cute!
mr.jpg

Huh, I don't know why those three shots are so much smaller. There's a lot more detail to see on the beatles. They should be the same size as the others, but I'm too tired to fix it right now.

Creepy spider, shot taken after dark
spider2resize.jpg

More creepy spider, looking even creepier
spider4resize.jpg

Comments

• LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Nice bugs.

Actually, your first two shots are damsel flies, cousins to the dragon flies.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    I like that first damselfly shot clap.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    rckmtl wrote:
    Tropical style heat and humidity here the last few days have made for all kinds of bugs sticking their heads out. Bug shots still are a bit tricky for me, so I only have a few shots to share, but I had fun getting them!

Dragonfly-had bunches of theses little ones out, in all different colors. The challange I had was getting a decent shot from the front. Bug butts tend to be just as boring as animal butts.

Red-ish dragonfly- kinda a behind shot this time, but I liked the grass around him

Shiny beatles- actually, these guys weren't too bad. They sat still the whole time!

More beatles

Mr. bug! He flew off before I could get a better framed shot, but his antenna are so cute!

Huh, I don't know why those three shots are so much smaller. There's a lot more detail to see on the beatles. They should be the same size as the others, but I'm too tired to fix it right now.

Creepy spider, shot taken after dark

More creepy spider, looking even creepier

Hi there............ahhhhhhhh I see you have the "BUG" so to speak rolleyes1.gif
    Yep before ya know it you will be sooooooooo hooked on Macro you won't be able to stop looking for them rolleyes1.gif

Look at the variety you got......boy oh boy you've got it made already mwink.gif

Those little Damsel Flies are not easy to photograph, they are so thin and often AUTO focus will not pick them up......those little guys are not always easy to sneak up on, but if you keep trying I just know you will get yourself a great head shot, and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face when you do thumb.gif you did good..... keep posting :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • rckmtlrckmtl Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

And thanks for the correction on the little guys being damsel flies! I have a feelling that's the type of thing I used to know was I was younger and had totally forgotten about.

It was hard shooting them though, and Skippy, the autofocus problem is -prescisly- what I was having trouble with. It took me a long time to get those first few shots.

Question for any moderators reading this though... Does anyone know why this post was moved from nature/wildlife to here? Are all bug shots supposed to go in this subforum, or was there something else about the post that got it put here? Just curious so I know what to do for next time, thanks!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    wow in 1st one it looks like a girl
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery