Images linked from SmugMug sometimes don't appear

FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a problem with SmugMug, or with the other site, but when I post image links, sometimes they are visible and sometimes not.

Some people never have problems viewing them, and others do intermittently. I wondered if there was some type of interaction or specific situations where you know this would occur. They claim that this problem only happens with some photo hosting sites and never with others.

The actual post discussing this, which contains examples is here.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Frank

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    FrankC wrote:
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a problem with SmugMug, or with the other site, but when I post image links, sometimes they are visible and sometimes not.

Some people never have problems viewing them, and others do intermittently. I wondered if there was some type of interaction or specific situations where you know this would occur. They claim that this problem only happens with some photo hosting sites and never with others.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Frank

wave.gif Hi Frank,

The problem is most certainly that you do not have "external links" enabled in your customize gallery settings. Check, set that to "yes" and then you're posts will appear :)

Welcome to Dgrin!
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 21, 2006
    FrankC wrote:
    Hi,

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Frank
    make sure you are allowing external links for your galleries. it's in the gallery customization screen.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage
    Pedal faster
  • FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    make sure you are allowing external links for your galleries. it's in the gallery customization screen.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage
    Thanks for the fast responses.

Very interesting result - that was the problem. The images now display correctly. However, some people could see the pictures anyway, before I made this change. So how do you explain that ?

Frank.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 21, 2006
    FrankC wrote:
    Thanks for the fast responses.

Very interesting result - that was the problem. The images now display correctly. However, some people could see the pictures anyway, before I made this change. So how do you explain that ?

Frank.
    were they in different galleries? maybe one of your galleries had externals off and another had externals on?
    Pedal faster
    edited July 21, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    were they in different galleries? maybe one of your galleries had externals off and another had externals on?

No - I started a special gallery for linked images.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    FrankC wrote:
    No - I started a special gallery for linked images.

Who were the people? IOW, you would be able to see the image in the link but only because it's already in your cache from your own site, so the forum will serve the image up for you from your cache.

So if a person viewed your image in your gallery first, then went to the forum wiht the external link they would be able to see it too, again, from their cache. But if they were to clear their cache and you had still not enabled external links, they would no longer be able to see your image.

Make sense?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 21, 2006
    Yes - sort of makes sense. It's possible some of them might have dug out the link and gone directly to the gallery on SmugMug.
    That might explain the symptoms.

Similarly, posting the image link directly into the browser would populate the cache.

Anyway - it seems to work fine now.

Thanks,

F.