for CS2, MAC or IBM?

GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited July 29, 2006 in Finishing School
I'm going to get a laptop in the next week or two and the primary application will be photo processing in CS2 - so is there a difference in running Photoshop on an Apple v. IBM when RAM and speed are the same?

Thanks, Gavin

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Gventure wrote:
    I'm going to get a laptop in the next week or two and the primary application will be photo processing in CS2 - so is there a difference in running Photoshop on an Apple v. IBM when RAM and speed are the same?

Thanks, Gavin

For the time being CS2 is running in emulation on the Mac, since they've recently migrated to Intel chips from PPC, and Adobe hasn't caught up yet. When CS3 comes out this will no longer be an issue.

That aside, I don't know of any major difference in speed. I just know that Macs are much less problematic especially in the area of malware.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    ...in emulation on the Mac...
    just a minor edit, that should read "on an Intel-processor Mac." If you're looking at a new laptop everything David said applies; if you're interested at all in refurb or used systems you may have more more research to do. CS feels about as fast on my non-Intel Powerbook as it did on my HP laptop.
  • KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Macs...
    Hi GVenture,

I'll chip my 2 cents worth in here: I recently purchased one of the new Apple MacBooks, 2 Ghz with 1 Gb or RAM. I use PS CS2 to edit RAW pictures from a 20D, and have had zero issues with the setup - it's speedy and reliable, just as you'd expect from an Apple. Hope this helps thumb.gif

Kevin K.
  • tweakertweaker Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    I got a macbook pro (intel) when they first came out. It was my first mac. I love it, it is the best laptop i have ever owned and i have owned ALOT. Form factor is great, power adapter with cable management, and back lit keyboard are some of my favorite features. Slot load CD/DVD is a world better then the crappy tray load PC CD/DVD drives. I have bootcamp loaded and when in windows (playing games) it will outpace my dell XPS laptop easy. Long story short i would say a new macbook is the best option, if you dont care for OSX then load windows and you will still have one of the fastest, smallest, coolest laptops around. I should be getting commission for this.
    -Paul
  • cerementcerement Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2006
    The primary difference is look-and-feel ... do you like the Mac interface better than the Windows interface?

The current advantage of the Intel based Macs is that, with Bootcamp, you can boot into either OS X or WinXP on the same machine. The current advantage of Windows is popularity, everybody and their dog is using Windows, websites think of optimizing for Explorer long before they ever get around to Safari compatibility (especially in these days of "Web2.0" hype). Adobe products are setup the same on both, use the same shortcuts (as long as you remember the Ctrl/Cmd and Alt/Opt switch). And the Macs lack of malware is simply due to lack of popularity (and there's gonna be an "adjustment" phase between Macs gaining popularity and anti-malware tools catching up on the Mac side ...)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Gventure wrote:

Thanks, Gavin
    Remains to be seen. I think there's a suspicion that when Adobe releases PS for Intel Macs, that it will run faster on similar Macs than PCs. But until CS3 comes out, who knows? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au