Options

MAC or PC for digital imaging and WHY?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

That's old news and a completely innocuous, unsuccessful attempt to create an OSX virus. It failed in the wild and is not worth worrying about.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 24, 2006
    but it is a mac virus yes? failed or not, they exist.

also, here is an article written just for you. :D

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/09/1545241&from=rss
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Even Symantec acknowledges that there are no viruses for the Mac.

And, read this.

I still urge caution, I just don't urge the use of anti-viral software as a means of protection.

A snippet from the linked article:

The bottom line is that Mac OS X virus software has, collectively, precipitated more security flaws, slow-downs, accidental file deletions and overall system issues than perhaps any other grouping of software.

It's also important to remember that just because you have an AntiVirus software package installed and regularly scanning your hard drive does not -- by any means -- ensure you will not contract a Mac OS X virus should one materialize. Virus scanning software works by checking files on your hard drive against a pre-defined set of file types that could potentially be malware. Should the dreaded effective Mac OS X virus surface, current AntiVirus software will be rendered impotent against its spread until virus definitions are updated to account for the new type
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    heck, it's a really good article so i'll just post the highlights here (emphasis added by me)

"If I can get our Mac users up to speed and say 'you are not immune' -- so when [the malware] hits, hopefully we will be pretty safe," he said.
    The University of Otago's Apple desktops are all loaded with antivirus protection just in case of an outbreak.
    "We want to be ready for the first big Macintosh virus -- because it will come. Some day, somebody will say 'I am going to create a headline and write a virus for Mac'," said Borrie.
    Borrie admits to being a Macintosh fan and claims to have used one 'since the day they were launched', but he said the problem with loyal communities like Macintosh users is that when it comes to security, the conversation is usually 'religious' rather than constructive.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    heck, it's a really good article so i'll just post the highlights here (emphasis added by me)

I do not believe that the Mac is secure by design. Sure it's MORE secure, but that's far from secure.

I just strongly believe that at this time anti-virus software does more harm than good.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Even Symantec acknowledges that there are no viruses for the Mac.

And, read this.

I still urge caution, I just don't urge the use of anti-viral software as a means of protection.

A snippet from the linked article:

The bottom line is that Mac OS X virus software has, collectively, precipitated more security flaws, slow-downs, accidental file deletions and overall system issues than perhaps any other grouping of software.

It's also important to remember that just because you have an AntiVirus software package installed and regularly scanning your hard drive does not -- by any means -- ensure you will not contract a Mac OS X virus should one materialize. Virus scanning software works by checking files on your hard drive against a pre-defined set of file types that could potentially be malware. Should the dreaded effective Mac OS X virus surface, current AntiVirus software will be rendered impotent against its spread until virus definitions are updated to account for the new type
    my argument is not about antivirus programs, it's about this "Titanic" philosophy that the mac faithful have. 'We are unsinkable!' bah, it's only a matter of time.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    oops, i mean 'iTanic'

sorry Steve.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    my argument is not about antivirus programs, it's about this "Titanic" philosophy that the mac faithful have. 'We are unsinkable!' bah, it's only a matter of time.

Oh. Well, the Mac may spring a tiny leak.... :D

So we're in basic agreement, then.

I still think I'm safer relying on all the Windows users crying out "I told you so" as my early warning system than I am mucking up my system with anti-virus software. Believe me, when a true virus hits the Mac, it will be news. In the meantime, prudent caution...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Guys, didn't we discuss that 100 times already?
    Frequent visitor to the Red Light Districts will catch STD sooner or later.
    Downloading and launching unknown software eventually will give you some trouble.
    Don't do that - you'll be 99.99% safe, Windows or Mac. ne_nau.gif

Thinking that any s/w system - Pick, OSX, Linux or Windows - is impermeable only means being quite naive... They all are - until someone puts some efforts into breaking. :):

Just my thoughts. headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I'm waiting for the new Intel based desktop Mac, then I'll be able to dual boot both OS-X and Windows, best of both worlds.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Frequent visitor to the Red Light Districts will catch STD sooner or later.
    Downloading and launching unknown software eventually will give you some trouble.
    Don't do that - you'll be 99.99% safe, Windows or Mac. ne_nau.gif

Thinking that any s/w system - Pick, OSX, Linux or Windows - is impermeable only means being quite naive... They all are - until someone puts some efforts into breaking. :):

Just my thoughts. headscratch.gif

You're misunderstanding the discussion, Nik. And you're wrong that PCs are as safe as Macs.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I guess a dog's view can't hurt anything at this point...
    My 'simple' solution based on pure economics (read: hardware on hand + a small cash investment):

1. Build a 'web' cruiser out of the pile of pc stuff laying around.

2. Build a dedicated photo editing box that will easily keep pace or surpass current and near future Mac offerings...

Intel Conroe dual-core E6XXX, 4GB DDR2, a couple SATA II drives, two 20.1" Samsung monitors, Win XP home, etc etc etc

Fast, quiet, stable, and cheap (relatively). Only need for internet is to upload pics, which can be done very securely with minimum effort.

Use common sense for backups, keep only non-critical info on the Web-box, which if\when infected can be f-disked to oblivion in minutes if necessary. I figure my net cost to easily be under $1000 and will take care of my needs for quite some time. I couldn't begin to touch a comparable Apple system for anywhere less than $1800 I believe and that only gets me a 20" iMac with 512mb of ram, one 20" monitor, and a 2ghz intel core duo cpu.

For *my* needs, having a single stand alone editing station that easily benches as fast or faster than a mac and a 'junk' pc for day to day surfing and non-critical apps makes more sense.

But that's just me...

:D
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Sure...
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're misunderstanding the discussion, Nik. And you're wrong that PCs are as safe as Macs.

Of course, Macs are much safer. So are the TVs, fridges and dishwashers. Easy to use, virus-free, energy-star-compliant, etc. mwink.gif

It's been said many times: no one is safe. Denying the very possibilty (i.e. being religious instead of being practical) is hiding one's head in the sand. Don't surf the astalalvista and xxx-sites, don't download warez, and you don't get burnt. Oh, I forgot.. there is no warez for macs... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Of course, Macs are much safer. So are the TVs, fridges and dishwashers. Easy to use, virus-free, energy-star-compliant, etc. mwink.gif

It's been said many times: no one is safe. Denying the very possibilty (i.e. being religious instead of being practical) is hiding one's head in the sand. Don't surf the astalalvista and xxx-sites, don't download warez, and you don't get burnt. Oh, I forgot.. there is no warez for macs... ne_nau.gif

I agree that Macs aren't 100% safe, and I've said it above. That's not what I'm saying. Just saying that both boats may be leaky, but one's out in the middle of the ocean and the other's in dry dock.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Of course, Macs are much safer.
    Yay clap.gif another convert to the enlightened side!
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Very well put, sir!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just saying that both boats may be leaky, but one's out in the middle of the ocean and the other's in dry dock.

PCs maybe leaky as hell, but at least you can use them to cross the ocean.:D
    And I wonder, what is the use of a boat that can be only used in a dry dock? mwink.gif
    Sorry, David, it was your analogy, not mine, could not help it iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    PCs maybe leaky as hell, but at least you can use them to cross the ocean.:D
    And I wonder, what is the use of a boat that can be only used in a dry dock? mwink.gif
    Sorry, David, it was your analogy, not mine, could not help it iloveyou.gif

I figured you'd go there. I posted, and thought, "Now I've stepped in it."

But you get the point. It's like you want to stay healthy, last place on earth you'd go to is a hospital. Viruses everywhere. Just steer clear and stay healthy. (There's another analogy for you to tear apart!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    I figured you'd go there. I posted, and thought, "Now I've stepped in it."

But you get the point. It's like you want to stay healthy, last place on earth you'd go to is a hospital. Viruses everywhere. Just steer clear and stay healthy. (There's another analogy for you to tear apart!)

The analogies are getting us farther and farther from the actual things. :D

I was just pulling your leg, we all know where we stand on this:-):):

I simply didn't have a chance to talk to you almost since May, so I thought I'd add some spices in this ragout :-) rolleyes1.gif

All in all, I think it's time to get beer.gif sometime soon 1drink.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Analogies are like feathers on a snake.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    ....I'm going to need a day or two to digest all this information. Much thanx to all for sharing your thoughts etc..

I'll be buying the desktop in a month or two, so every tinsy info is welcome.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

From my recent experience, I'd say they're more like snakes on a plane.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    You may be interested to know that security experts Sophos have recently recommended people switch to Macs (by the way I use both and am neutral on the subject, both platforms have their advantages.)

Here's a link:-

http://www.securitypronews.com/news/securitynews/spn-45-20060705SecurityFirmSaysGetAMac.html
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    You may be interested to know that security experts Sophos have recently recommended people switch to Macs (by the way I use both and am neutral on the subject, both platforms have their advantages.)

Here's a link:-

http://www.securitypronews.com/news/securitynews/spn-45-20060705SecurityFirmSaysGetAMac.html

Reading is hard eh? DavidTO posted that on the first page of this thread. It's what started all this madness.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    that made me laugh more than anything else I've seen yet this week!
    DavidTO wrote:
    From my recent experience, I'd say they're more like snakes on a plane.
    you in on that one?

fwiw, DavidTO I'm firmly in your camp. My Windows systems all run anti-virus, updates each night and scans at night when I'm not using 'em. My Powerbook doesn't run any. I'm no religious nutter, but I know enough to know that a banana's already wrapped by nature, doesn't need an extra covering.

(And, fwiw, I work for one of those computer companies that, among other things, builds, sells and supports systems that run Windows. Have for over a dozen years. Been a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. Twice. I believe I know what I'm speaking about. Any customer that wants to run anti-virus software on his Mac, Linux or other Unix system - I say go right ahead, it's your perogitave but I believe it's a waste of processor time.)
    Now... :burger and beer.gif, that sounds more like someting worth discussing.

(and please folks - personal rant here - its' "Mac" or "Macintosh" not "MAC" and "Windows" or "Win" or "PC" not "WIN")
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Reading is hard eh? DavidTO posted that on the first page of this thread. It's what started all this madness.
    Ooh excuse my stupidity, I made a mistake, keelhaul me now, I'm not worthy.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:

Yeah, I posted it, and more importantly, BWG can be surly.

I hope you're kidding, because no one should take him too seriously.... :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    Aww don't get upset :D It's in bwg's job description to point that sort of stuff out lol3.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifOh, I'm not upset, it takes more than an anonymous forum pedant to cause me umbrage, however I can never resist a bout of sarcasm.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifOh, I'm not upset, it takes more than an anonymous forum pedant to cause me umbrage, however I can never resist a bout of sarcasm.
    Wow, you sure talk fancy!
    Pedal faster