Still Life

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited July 23, 2006 in Holy Macro
Ok, don't know if this is the right room to post this. My first time at Still Life. Those of you who know me know that I'm a newbie with lots of questions. I don't know yet what thrills me the most so I just try every shooting technique. Today I planned to be at a skateboarding/bmexing/hiphopping meeting but it was one of the hottest day my young life can remember so I decided to give still life a go.
Here's what I got.

Edit: I uploaded the shots on Smug, better leave resize to it, my technique is very poor.

PS: I can't get rid of lights reflection in the bottle. Any help? Any tip?

83244981-L.jpg

83245041-L.jpg

83245105-L.jpg

83245371-L.jpg

83245396-L.jpg
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    one way to remove reflection is to block the light with black
    you can make light tent for this kind of work
    i loved last 2 reflection looks fine in them i think you did to much cropping in 2nd and 3rd and bottol is leaning you can adjust it in photoshop i think you should build a light tent iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Ok, don't know if this is the right room to post this. My first time at Still Life. Those of you who know me know that I'm a newbie with lots of questions. I don't know yet what thrills me the most so I just try every shooting technique. Today I planned to be at a skateboarding/bmexing/hiphopping meeting but it was one of the hottest day my young life can remember so I decided to give still life a go.
    Here's what I got.

Edit: I uploaded the shots on Smug, better leave resize to it, my technique is very poor.

PS: I can't get rid of lights reflection in the bottle. Any help? Any tip?

Hahahaha well I dunno that I would call you a newbie with over 100 posts already up your sleeve already :D

Reflection is sometimes a good thing and other times it's annoying or distracting...... a lot of folks use Light Tents to try and diffuse or bounce the light..... you did pretty darn good on this lot, not sure that I like the dust on the bottle though ???

Quite a nice Series, keep up the good work, and please post more :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    I especially like the last shot...very dramatic. I even like the dust on the bottle in this one. Looks like it came straight out of the wine cellar and it's been there a while!!! thumb.gif
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    one way to remove reflection is to block the light with black
    you can make light tent for this kind of work
    i loved last 2 reflection looks fine in them i think you did to much cropping in 2nd and 3rd and bottol is leaning you can adjust it in photoshop i think you should build a light tent iloveyou.gif

I Awais,
    thanks for your input. I did no cropping, these are straight from the camera, just edited'em a bit with PSP. I know the bottle is leaning, unfortunately my tripod is no perfectly parallel to the floor and I always end up with this problem. I read somewhere on the net that rotating an image by very few degrees can drastically degrade teh image quality. Is this true? :):

edited July 23, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hahahaha well I dunno that I would call you a newbie with over 100 posts already up your sleeve already :D

Hi Skippy, that' true, I'm a pain in the a**! Got lots of questions! :):
    Reflection is sometimes a good thing and other times it's annoying or distracting...... a lot of folks use Light Tents to try and diffuse or bounce the light..... you did pretty darn good on this lot, not sure that I like the dust on the bottle though ???

Refelction is really somethign I have to work on, I'd like to control them instead of having them fall whatever they like. The dust on the bottleis what pushed me to shoot! :): I find it very charming. :):
    Quite a nice Series, keep up the good work, and please post more :D
    Skippy (Australia)

Thanks a million. Will do! :D

edited July 23, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I especially like the last shot...very dramatic. I even like the dust on the bottle in this one. Looks like it came straight out of the wine cellar and it's been there a while!!! thumb.gif

Hi Saurora,
    in fact it was in the cellar for a veeeeeeeeery looooooong time! I agree it ads some drama to the picture. Thanks for your comment. :):

• ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    The last one is near perfect IMHO.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
    edited July 23, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    The last one is near perfect IMHO.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I'm embarassed Ultravox. I owe you one. 1drink.gif

• ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    judah wrote:
    I'm embarassed Ultravox. I owe you one. 1drink.gif
    No, you dont! Some may have different opinions ne_nau.gif .
    But I do like it a LOT!
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    judah wrote:
    I Awais,
    I read somewhere on the net that rotating an image by very few degrees can drastically degrade teh image quality. Is this true? :):

you can fix it in Photoshop without any degrade ! very simple and fast

you have to do this

1. Open photoshop and file ne_nau.gif
    2. Go to Measure tool found in color sampler tool in Tools
    3. Now draw line along straigt path that you know is strait in real
    4. Image>Rotate canvas> Arbitrary > click ok (dont change values)
    5. Crop area of intrest to clear white background you see after arbitrary thumb.gif

I hope you understood it works fine if you have some space in sides of subject which could be cropped
    still confused ? just inform me
    Salam
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery