An Amazing Free Program!!!

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited July 24, 2006 in Finishing School
This program is GREAT! I just downloaded and I like it a ton...and it's FREE. an amazing product for....NILL $!

Thought I'd share with y'all!!!

http://www.faststone.org/index.htm

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 22, 2006
    Might be a good plan to tell the class what the program is used for and why it's so great other than the fact that it's free.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    I took a kwik look
    truth wrote:
    Might be a good plan to tell the class what the program is used for and why it's so great other than the fact that it's free.

It's a little suite of 4 photo-related utilities. Functionality intersects alot, so it's not clear which one is doing what (except for the screen capture one), but it looks like a photo manager, photo editor, and photo resizer.

All in all, yet another free photo suite... In general, you get what you paid for... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    sorry...I was in a hurry - now it's midnight, and I have nothing better to do. :D

well, I liked the fact that you could easily search through all of your photos and compare them side-by-side and see which is better, you could also easily magnify it, and view and edit everything in full screen. it was very user friendly, which I think is why it was appealling...also, there's the music slideshow option which seemed pretty neat, and the direct email option. also, it was highly recommended in the top 46 more useful freeware programs because it was supposed to be really speedy. and when you're viewing on full screen, if you move your cursor to the right of the screen, all of the exif data slides over and you can see all of it...I thought that was a neat feature as well. okay....so...

I'm trying to find the best program (free) to use for everyday use, even though I have the Microsoft Image Pro 9.0 - - - it just runs really slow....imagine that....MICROSOFT?! now I'm working on getting used to the GIMPShow, which has a pretty good interface, in and of itself....still a lot of buttons to get used to...though I'm workin' on it!

so....okay - well, that's it...

:):

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
    edited July 23, 2006
    Why not just seek out some free real software? There's plenty of places to find a copy of photoshop without spending a dime.
  • silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Why not just seek out some free real software? There's plenty of places to find a copy of photoshop without spending a dime.

Why don't I just walk in and get some "free" money at the bank? It's called "stealing," and it applies just as much to pirating commercial software.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    truth wrote:
    truth, dgrin is a little bit suffy about a few of things.

Nudity and foul language is one area - we try to be family friendly.

Illegal activity is another. We take a dim view of dealing in illegal copies of PS etc.

Any discussion of this sort of stuff will be shut down promptly.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    As the starter of this thread, I would like it to be known that I in no way condone stealing software and the mention of such was in no way related to my said statements.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
    edited July 23, 2006
    Ross,
    rosselliot wrote:
    As the starter of this thread, I would like it to be known that I in no way condone stealing software and the mention of such was in no way related to my said statements.

- RE

Nobody had any doubts about it!:):

However, I think it will be much more helpful for everybody if the next time you don't just a post a link to an unknown s/w, but provide a short review of what it does, how it's different, what you like and dislike about it, etc. Life is too short and the Internet is too big to check every out link based on "awesome free tool" type of info. ne_nau.gif

HTH
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    All in all, yet another free photo suite... In general, you get what you paid for... ne_nau.gif
    I'm using the FastStone Image Viewer myself. Have a closer look at it - really got some neat features. Especially the fullscreen view is unique...
    - Want a quick look at EXIF? Just move the mouse to the right screen border.
    - Want to quickly scroll through the rest of the thumbs without leaving fullscreen view? Just move the mouse to the top...
    - Need a quick 1:1 look at the picture? Just click and hold while pan the 1:1 scale picture - release to see the whole again...

The list probably goes on a bit...give it a chance and perhaps you'll like what you see. Comparable to Irfanview - both have their strenghts and weakneses.

Sebastian

EDIT: This might be interesting for some of you: It also supports a couple of RAW formats, but haven't checked the functionality as I lack a camera that supports RAW.

Of course there are also some downs: like no IPTC support
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    truth, dgrin is a little bit suffy about a few of things.

Nudity and foul language is one area - we try to be family friendly.

Illegal activity is another. We take a dim view of dealing in illegal copies of PS etc.

Any discussion of this sort of stuff will be shut down promptly.
    Gotcha. As a graphics realated professional I own all my software outright, but as a highschool student, well it really doesn't irk me much to think of them scamming some freebies. You do get what you pay for though.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Gotcha........as a highschool student, well it really doesn't irk me much to think of them scamming some freebies. You do get what you pay for though.

So then, are you a volunteer teen role model in your spare time? headscratch.gif
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    I'm guessing this is a windows only program???
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited July 23, 2006
    Thanks, Sebastian!
    Now, *that* is a kind of post I wanna see when someone posts a link about some new s/w thumb.gif
    edited July 23, 2006
    So then, are you a volunteer teen role model in your spare time? headscratch.gif

Is that a rhetorical question?
  • badtzbadtz Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I've been using faststone for quite some time now and 'you get what you pay for' obviously isnt true. Anyone who uses good open source (or its derivatives) knows the folly of that statement. Faststone reads canon raw with no modification (at least up to the 20D/350D) and their software does exactly what you want with very little annoyance. Having just tried lightroom I know for organization and 'quick and dirty' viewing I will be sticking with faststone at this point.
    edited July 24, 2006
    Badtz,
    badtz wrote:
    I've been using faststone for quite some time now and 'you get what you pay for' obviously isnt true. Anyone who uses good open source (or its derivatives) knows the folly of that statement. Faststone reads canon raw with no modification (at least up to the 20D/350D) and their software does exactly what you want with very little annoyance. Having just tried lightroom I know for organization and 'quick and dirty' viewing I will be sticking with faststone at this point.

it's nice news and I appreciate your feedback on FastStone.

I was not implying that all free software is bad (I'm using some of it on an every day basis), it's just a lot of it is. It's like looking for gems in the tons of raw ore...

Cheers! 1drink.gif