After rain you get .. (56K warning)

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited July 24, 2006 in Holy Macro
Raindrop macros :)
Finally rained here- well quite violent thunderstorms, after 2 weeks of high temperatures (up to 35.C). Can't resist doing water drop shots- just find the light and refraction effects fascinating. All the shots are focus stacked apart from the flower. Most of the other shots were taken on a Potentilla shrub which has nicely hydrophobic hairy leaves.
Brian V.

195464803_88bbc604ea_o.jpg

195464805_6fa997308c_o.jpg

195464807_739e93115a_o.jpg

195464808_db456acea0_o.jpg

195469547_1f33cb2451_o.jpg

195469549_8c74bc481f_o.jpg

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Excellent photos Brian!

It's been so windy here I may have to resort to indoor macro earlier than I expected... :cry
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 23, 2006
    These are wonderful, Brian. One thing I sometimes wonder about in your pics is how big the things really are. Any hints?

Cheers,
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    These are wonderful, Brian. One thing I sometimes wonder about in your pics is how big the things really are. Any hints?

Cheers,
    Thanks Richard :)
    The water drops with good refacted images in them are normally about 2mm in diameter or less. Bigger drops around 5mm in diameter or larger tend to give very distorted images I assume because the drop is no longer spherical due to gravitation effects. Most of these shots were taken at around 2:1 which gives a viewfinder/sensor width of about 11mm.
    So they are fairly small :)
    Brian V
    edited July 23, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    Excellent photos Brian!

It's been so windy here I may have to resort to indoor macro earlier than I expected... :cry
    I wouldn't let the wind put you off- I've taken some of my best pics in strong/gale force winds. You just need to practice shooting one handed whilst holding on to the plant or whatever the bug is on. The advantages are that the bugs are very unlikely to fly off (they don't like the wind either) and you can often twist or bend the plant to get a better angle.
    About the only time I don't o out shooting is when it is actually raining
    Brian V.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    I wouldn't let the wind put you off- I've tken some of my best pics in strong/gale force winds. You just need to practice shooting one handed whilst holding on to the plant or whatever the bug is on. The advantages are that the bugs are very unlikely to fly off (they don't like the wind either) and you can often twist or bend the plant to get a better angle.
    About the only time I don't o out shooting is when it is actually raining
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian -I'll have to give that a try! :):
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Raindrop macros :)
    Finally rained here- well quite violent thunderstorms, after 2 weeks of high temperatures (up to 35.C). Can't resist doing water drop shots- just find the light and refraction effects fascinating. All the shots are focus stacked apart from the flower. Most of the other shots were taken on a Potentilla shrub which has nicely hydrophobic hairy leaves.
    Brian V.

Brian your work just amazes me, you always find something different to photograph and show us....... gosh I sooo need to try your stacking technique....it is made difficult by the lack and almost non existance of bugs in my yard.

You continue to not only inspire me, but so many other people on this forum with your williness to share your work and techniques with us. clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    #5 and #6, one word: Wow! :wow
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 23, 2006
    Nice work with stacking the layers. Spectacular final products.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Sam
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    saw few fine as always
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Amazing. #3 reminds me of a bulb on a Christmas tree. Beautiful images. iloveyou.gif
    edited July 24, 2006
    Thanks again for the comments,
    Andrea- you are right some of them do look like decorated Christmas trees.
    Brian V.
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    The last one is my favourite. Almost looks like some kind of musical instrument!

jamie