Wife and niece at lunch

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 24, 2006 in People
In Whittier, AK, there is a hotel with a restaurant. While waiting for lunch to arrive, and I thought about what I might be able to accomplish with appropriate use of flash exposure compensation (it's amazing what can be done with the on-camera flash).

My wife - probably the best photo I have ever taken of her
82072720-M.jpg

This is my brother's daughter (I guess that makes her my niece). Of course, she was hungry and not really in the mood to have her picture taken.
82072721-M.jpg

So, what do y'all think? Thanks for looking!

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    In Whittier, AK, there is a hotel with a restaurant. While waiting for lunch to arrive, and I thought about what I might be able to accomplish with appropriate use of flash exposure compensation (it's amazing what can be done with the on-camera flash).

My wife - probably the best photo I have ever taken of her

This is my brother's daughter (I guess that makes her my niece). Of course, she was hungry and not really in the mood to have her picture taken.

So, what do y'all think? Thanks for looking!
    Hi Scott.. lucky man you have two beautiful women in your life! for me, the lighting is a tad flat? also I keep thinking I wish they would turn to me and look at me so I could see their eyes. Tricky lighting to deal with there with the back light an all. Lets see some more! Thanks for sharing.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Not to criticize the ladies, they are both lovely, but the on-board flash doesn't do them justice. I know...you have to work with what equipment you have at the moment! My feeling towards "candid" shots like these....I like more shadow for drama (mood..whatever you want to call it). Of course, that's just my preference, not necessarily everyone else's. I love natural window-light, too, and the flash has managed to degrade that lovely quality. Maybe, it's just the amount of flash used, I'm not sure. :D
  • tomthephotographertomthephotographer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    well done
    Canon 40D. Lens Sigma 170-500, Tamron 75-300, Quantaray 19-35,
    Bogan Tripod. Gaint Yukon 25' Bike,

Like it or not we most often get what we deserve in the end.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Scott.. lucky man you have two beautiful women in your life! for me, the lighting is a tad flat? also I keep thinking I wish they would turn to me and look at me so I could see their eyes. Tricky lighting to deal with there with the back light an all. Lets see some more! Thanks for sharing.
    Yep, I agree....
    • A tad flat - on-board flash is only so good and I had no diffuser and my niece was not interested...
    • Look at me - yeah, especially my wife - she has lovely eyes.
    More on the way.
    edited July 24, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Not to criticize the ladies, they are both lovely, but the on-board flash doesn't do them justice. I know...you have to work with what equipment you have at the moment! My feeling towards "candid" shots like these....I like more shadow for drama (mood..whatever you want to call it). Of course, that's just my preference, not necessarily everyone else's. I love natural window-light, too, and the flash has managed to degrade that lovely quality. Maybe, it's just the amount of flash used, I'm not sure. :D
    If I had been able to position myself so they were more facing me, I would have been able to better capitlize on the window light and reduce my dependence on the flash (as it was, the FEC was set to -1). I guess I'm just going to have to bribe my wife into actully sitting for me to see if I can get it all together.

I appreciate your thoughts on this and I will have to see what I can do to make the most of them.
    edited July 24, 2006
    well done
    Thanks for looking and the kind words.