Options

Mac OS X uploader

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
I asked this question buried in a thread in the support forum, so I will re-ask it here.

We are interested in making the OS X uploader open source, and seeing what cool stuff the community can do with it. I have heard a few people express interest in it over the last year, but I don't know how many are still actually interested in it.

The guy who built v2.0 is mostly done with the project right now, and is quite busy with other projects. Apparently the reason the uploader won't work with Intel Macs currently is that the cocoa-java bridge is causing problems with all sorts of Cocoa-Java apps (ours being just such an app).

Details on solution (that we haven't been able to chase down yet) in Xcode:
One has to split the single Cocoa-Java target into separate Java andObjC targets, add a direct dependency and a Copy Files build phase, then
use the "Upgrade <target> To Native Target" menu-item from the Project menu
to upgrade the now-Java-free target to Native. These changes to the
original target allow it to have multiple CPU architectures, which you can
then set using the Build tab and Architectures thingy in the target's Get
Info window.

I have more details on this process that supposedly should fix it, that I can provide if anyone is indeed interested in moving forward.

Also, something that could be done pretty easily in the future is adding sync capability to iphoto albums, as our API should allow for this. It would mean it can automatically keep your galleries up to date. :clap

Anyways, let me know if there is any interest.

Smug since 2003

Comments

• Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    You know,

I am not a hot-shot coder but I am pretty certain that this would be a fantastic idea. Especially since WWDC is about to kick loose. There seems to be quite a dev' following for the OSX platform as of late - so while I am not good at the actual coding, I am sure there is more than one multi-skilled individual out there that would LOVE to give this thing a shot.

Even if it serves just as an example how to hook an application to your API on the OS X platform.