a fungus or a flower?

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited July 25, 2006 in Holy Macro
I came across this interesting growth in the National Forest this weekend. Isn't it neat? The solid white, seems to me, to indicate a fungus, yet the flower actually looks like that of a plant. I was so intrigued that I thought it warranted sharing...

83662019-M.jpg

83662023-M.jpg
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    That's very odd -thanks for sharing!

*Dal wonders if we are being invaded...*
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    very clear beautiful pictures
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I came across this interesting growth in the National Forest this weekend. Isn't it neat? The solid white, seems to me, to indicate a fungus, yet the flower actually looks like that of a plant. I was so intrigued that I thought it warranted sharing...

Hi Tessa........ they are odd, never seen a white flower like that, they actually look similar to Daffodils don't they.

Did you get to see on that was open by any chance ?? Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Great minds think alike!

Got this one in Northern, ME about 20 miles west of Bar Harbor.

I'm certain it's some sort of a mushroom or fungus. There is no clorophil, and it sprang up rather suddenly. Beautiful in it's own way though.

shroom.jpg
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Indian Pipe is its Name
    Tessa HD wrote:

Here you go Tess......found this info on the net, its not a fungus how bout that :D Skippy (Australia)

http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H86.htm
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Here you go Tess......found this info on the net, its not a fungus how bout that :D Skippy (Australia)

http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H86.htm
    wow - could have fooled me!!!! never would have guessed that was a perrinial! well the defenition say's it feed on dead organic matter - so it's *almost* a fungus.... maybe?

"saprophytic
    A plant that lives on dead organic matter such as rotting tree roots. These plants often have no need for chlorophyll thus are not at all green."

funny - it took someone on the other side of the globe to ID it! rolleyes1.gif

(I guess I abuse the priviledge)
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Hey - you got some too! Neat!
    Nice photo!

Tessa HD

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    thanks skippy!
    I had done a little searching on the web and couldn't find it - and you did! Awesome! Thanks!

Very interesting history. Can't wait to share that with the folks who were with me!

Tessa HD

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com