Advice from you MotoGP photographers

stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited July 25, 2006 in Sports
well there is going to be a play day at a local track here in New Mexico in about 2 weeks i have attempted to take pics of street/racing bikes before but i alway "freeze the wheels" what tips do you have so that i can have the "moving" wheel to give my pics a sense of motion..... and what about track location is there some places that are better than others....

Comments

• trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    well there is going to be a play day at a local track here in New Mexico in about 2 weeks i have attempted to take pics of street/racing bikes before but i alway "freeze the wheels" what tips do you have so that i can have the "moving" wheel to give my pics a sense of motion..... and what about track location is there some places that are better than others....
    I just attended a race - and I was playing around with some different shutter speeds since I was clueless.

At 1000/1 ISO 800 to 1600 everthing stopped, well the letters on the tires were a tad blurred. (200mm lens)

At 60/1 ISO 100 I got nice blur's of background and tires, though there was a good number of shots that the vehicle was blurry, not everything came out good. (200mm lens)

I think my monopod helped a lot with panning providing that flat plane to swivel on.

I would think that 250-500 would slightly blur the wheels, but I love my 1/60 shots that I took.

You can see the difference in the Ferrari Race Day post; http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38763

Hope that helps! - I don't have too much experience with sport shots but the nice thing about photography is that you learn constantly!
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Panning will turn out nicely depending on how fast the bikes are going between 1/60 and 1/500. I keep the 20D in Tv mode and shutter around 1/320. ISO is set 200-400 IIRC. The longer the lens, the more practice it'll take to pull it off, but the more intimate the shot will be. If you have a newer Canon IS lens, there's a built-in panning setting (Mode 2). Here's a shot from Summit Point:

77504916-M.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Panning will turn out nicely depending on how fast the bikes are going between 1/60 and 1/500. I keep the 20D in Tv mode and shutter around 1/320. ISO is set 200-400 IIRC. The longer the lens, the more practice it'll take to pull it off, but the more intimate the shot will be. If you have a newer Canon IS lens, there's a built-in panning setting (Mode 2). Here's a shot from Summit Point:

77504916-M.jpg

thanks for the advice....