New camera, need lens (canon)

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 27, 2006 in Cameras
So I now have my new Canon 30D, I also now have my Battery grip and strap and about to buy a new memory card in the next few days. So my question is I need to upgrade my lenses. What are your recommendations?

At this point I pretty much use my 50mm religiously where ever I go. but of course will need telephoto lenses and a good standard lens and wide angle for traveling.

I have been eyeing the new Canon 17-85 USM IS lens that was a potential kit for the Canon 30D.

I know of course the L series is the highest quality but at this time is a little out of my price range.
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I'm a bit leary of investing in EF-S lenses...if that's the one you are thinking about. I like the fact that my current lens lineup...except the EF-S 18-55 kit lens that came with my Rebel....will work on my film camera, and future Canon digital cameras.

I see the New EFS-17-55 F2.8 IS, is going for $1,149!! Yikes, that would be a huge investment, taking into consideration that it wont work on all the digital Canon bodies. I'd go for the 24-105L F2.8 for the same money before I went with the EF-S lens.

With the prices of what you are looking at being so close to L glass, and considering the focal lengths you have, I would think about saving for that first L glass. You wont regret it. I love all my L glass. I want the 24-70L F2.8 now, and will patiently wait until the day comes that I can get it.

If it's a good season at the track that day may be closer than I think......:D

Good luck with your dessision, as Canon gives us oh so many choices...clap.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    what is the lowest priced L series lens?
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
    edited July 24, 2006
    mrlarter wrote:
    what is the lowest priced L series lens?

At B&H the 70-200L F4 is $584.95...great lens, ask anyone.
    The 17-40L F4 is $679.95.....great lens, just ask me!:D
    The 200L F2.8 II USM is $659.95.

The 70-200 and 17-40 together are only a hundred bucks more than the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS....and in my book will hold their value way longer.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I can tell you that the 70-200 f/4L and the 17-40L are fantastic lenses. My 17-40 practically lives on my camera. Definately worth saving for a bit longer.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Of course the obvious question is what do you need the lens to do? The mentioned lenses all have excellent reputations (I've only used a 70-200/f4, so am only familiar with that--it IS a fantastic lens). However, a 17-40 is useless for sports or birding while the 70-200 probably isn't the first choice for landscapes. So analyze your shooting habits and what is really needed before dropping money just to cover 8-400mm seamlessly.

A very popular walk-around is the 24-105. I have the 24-70 as my mid-rnage zoom & it's well worth the $1k pricetag. Once I have the $1500 for a 70-200/2.8IS I won't worry about spend that on the lens--but I know exactly what I need it for.

As for EF vs EF-S. Only worry about EF-S if you definitely plan of going to a 1.3x or FF body (that would be 1D-series, 5D, or film). The 1.6 bodies will be around for a while. For some people it's an issue, for others sticking with 1.6 crop bodies it's a non-issue.

BTW, for wide angle, the Canon 10-22 is an EF-S, non-L, but a great UWA lens--so the magic red stripe is not necessary (also see the various 50mm "nifty-fifty" "thrifty-fifty" and "plastic fantastic" lenses).

As an example I'll use myself for choosing lenses. First was the kit obviously, then the 50/1.8 Mk I as a cheap stopgap better-quality lens until I settled my wishlist. I shoot dance performances primarily in either coffee shops or smaller "black-box" theaters, to the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8IS are ideal both for fast apertures and focal lengths. I will also be doing landscapes on trips, so the Tokina 12-24 will handl those needs. Less frequently I do racing and some larger venues for dance/theater, so the Sigma 120-300 looks atractive (since I cannot afford the 300/2.8IS). Yes, I intend to have 12-300 more-or less covered, but each lens has a specific purpose in mind. The 24-70 was first as it covered my most common situations, the 12-24 is next as a) I can usually get my hands on a 70-200 when needed, and a vacation later this year provides the perfect excuse. :)
    edited July 25, 2006
    However, a 17-40 is useless for sports or birding while the 70-200 probably isn't the first choice for landscapes.

I wouldn't call it usesless in sports..because I have and do use it for a different perspective from time to time, it can give something old a new look. See....

Attachment not found.

BTW this was shot (at 17mm) without a polarizer, but with the Canon UV filter attached, oh and the lens hood.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    mrlarter wrote:
    What are your recommendations?
    The first questions are, of course, what do you want to use it for, and also what other lenses might you complement it with in the future as you build up your kit.

However I also suggest you think carefully about whether any EF-S series lens is right for you. The 30D is a great camera, but EF-S lenses cannot be used on EOS 1x and 1.3x crop factor cameras. Is it possible a 1Dxxx or 5D or other full or near full-frame camera yet to come could be in your future? If so, you may wish to steer clear of an EF-S lens.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    I bought my 20D with the 17-85 EF-S lens thinking that if I ever sold the body, then the lens would go with it. I haven't regretted that decision, it's a good (not great) lens with a lot of flexibility.

That being said, my next "stop" is probably the 24-105L. I like the quality of primes, but I've decided I'm a zoomer for most walkabouts.
    Chris
    edited July 26, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I wouldn't call it usesless in sports..because I have and do use it for a different perspective from time to time, it can give something old a new look. See....

Attachment not found.

BTW this was shot (at 17mm) without a polarizer, but with the Canon UV filter attached, oh and the lens hood.

...and thus the exception to my generalization. I was half-expecting someone to pipe up with a picture of some tiny bird whose nose was poked right up to the lens. The point is still valid, some lenses are better suited to some types of shooting than others & tht should be taken into consideration when making a selection.

OT, very cool shot & a good example of thinking outside the box. thumb.gif
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    sorry I tried to reply to this yesterday but got an error.

Right now i'm mostly taking portrait shots but I want to be doing photo journalism so a good walk around lens is the focus right now.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
    edited July 26, 2006
    ...and thus the exception to my generalization. I was half-expecting someone to pipe up with a picture of some tiny bird whose nose was poked right up to the lens. The point is still valid, some lenses are better suited to some types of shooting than others & tht should be taken into consideration when making a selection.

OT, very cool shot & a good example of thinking outside the box. thumb.gif

You're right the point is still valid, as you have to be very close, and going for a certain look with the 17-40 in sports. And thanks...:D

If I were choosing an L walk around lens, I would go for the 24-70 f2.8L, to compliment my 70-200 f2.8L IS.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I would go for the 24-70 f2.8L.
    thumb.gif
    edited July 27, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    You're right the point is still valid, as you have to be very close, and going for a certain look with the 17-40 in sports. And thanks...:D

If I were choosing an L walk around lens, I would go for the 24-70 f2.8L, to compliment my 70-200 f2.8L IS.

Those two lenses go together so well it's almost a crime to call your collection complete with only one of them (no, mine is not complete--gotta get the 70-200).

Anyway, the 24-70 or 24-105 both make great walk-around lenses. I have the 24-70 & love it. Oh, almost forgot the 17-85 IS...and I see that they just added a new 18-55/2.8 IS to the line--though those two are EF-S lenses.