Denver, CO locations???

turnerphototurnerphoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
Hi-would love some suggestions on locations in Denver, CO and surrounding areas-I know there are many, many great areas and I don't even know where to start! Parks, trails, open space, mountains, whatever you know please feel free to share.
Thanks, Lisa
TurnerPhoto
trying to figure it all out

Comments

• photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Hi-would love some suggestions on locations in Denver, CO and surrounding areas-I know there are many, many great areas and I don't even know where to start! Parks, trails, open space, mountains, whatever you know please feel free to share.
    Thanks, Lisa
    Hi Lisa,
    There are so many locations...where do you start? First do a search for parks in the area. I live closer to Boulder and could give you some places to go there.
    The flatirons are always good to have in the background. Up near NCAR is a good place to start. There is also Chitauqua Park that is amazing. In Boulder by the library are some stunning areas to photograph.
    So many to choose from...not sure this was any help at all...
    Mandi
    www.mandraleephotography.com
    Mandi :shay

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 27, 2006
    You could head up to the Peak-to-Peak highway. Many great opportunities.

NCAR is a building designed by Frank Loyd Wright. The way it blends into
    it's surroundings. If you go, be sure to take the tour. There are lots of
    really cool things to see (well, if you like weather related stuff).

Also, in the late afternoon, deer often come down to the building.

There are a variety of interesting towns that surround the Denver area
    too. I like to wander the campuses at Boulder and the Colorado School
    of Mines in Golden.

What is it that you want to shoot?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 27, 2006
    NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research)
    84255475-L.jpg
    They need to mow their lawn more often.

Ian Suggested we go there while in Boulder, and on the way to the Dgrin May Shootout. There's some hiking trails behind it (on the Flatirons side). They hold a few tours evey day, something not to miss if you make the trip. I hope Ian doesn't mind the correction... the Architect was I.M. Pei. Though F.L.W. would have also been a fine choice too had he been alive in the 60's.

There's also Rocky Mountain National Park nearby. Gotta be some good scenery up in there too.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited July 27, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    84255475-L.jpg

Ian Suggested we go there while in Boulder, and on the way to the Dgrin May Shootout. There's some hiking trails behind it (on the Flatirons side). They hold a few tours evey day, something not to miss if you make the trip. I hope Ian doesn't mind the correction... the Architect was I.M. Pei. Though F.L.W. would have also been a fine choice too had he been alive in the 60's.

There's also Rocky Mountain National Park nearby. Gotta be some good scenery up in there too.

You're right. For some reason, FLW was floating...reading something on
    him now.
    edited July 27, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    84255475-L.jpg

Just to the north west of this shot is some absolutely beautiful scenery.
    And yes, I was doing a wedding there last month on one of the overhangs outside...a deer came up during the ceremony. The only thing that "took away" from the experience was the huge monitoring collar on it's neck.
    Mandi
    You have to be careful up around there, as they require you to stay on the trail. Made it diffucult to be as creative with the photos.

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    Just to the north west of this shot is some absolutely beautiful scenery.
    And yes, I was doing a wedding there last month on one of the overhangs outside...a deer came up during the ceremony. The only thing that "took away" from the experience was the huge monitoring collar on it's neck.
    Mandi
    www.amdraleephotography.com
    You have to be careful up around there, as they require you to stay on the trail. Made it diffucult to be as creative with the photos.

Heh, well FWIW, that is where I got married to the wifey. We got married in the porch outside the cafeteria on a blistering hot July day back in '99. A very beautiful location to be, assuming its not 100 mph winds that accompany it rolleyes1.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited July 27, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Heh, well FWIW, that is where I got married to the wifey. We got married in the porch outside the cafeteria on a blistering hot July day back in '99. A very beautiful location to be, assuming its not 100 mph winds that accompany it rolleyes1.gif

Take the tour and you're bound to find out about the winds :D

Did you work there? If so, did you know Ilana?
    edited July 27, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Yep, that's where it was, outside the cafeteria. I walked miles that day!!! I suggest anyone doing a shoot there...request a map ahead of time. eek7.gif...not necessarily to the building-but of it.
    Mandi

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Take the tour and you're bound to find out about the winds :D

Did you work there? If so, did you know Ilana?

The wifey's mother worked there for quite a few years and over at the Valmont street campus. When I used to live in Boulder, I remember that area around Table Mesa as one of the most windy spots along the Front Range, especially in spring when those chinook winds would kick in. Yikes!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited July 28, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    The wifey's mother worked there for quite a few years and over at the Valmont street campus. When I used to live in Boulder, I remember that area around Table Mesa as one of the most windy spots along the Front Range, especially in spring when those chinook winds would kick in. Yikes!

Yikes is right. Windy doesn't begin to describe it some days :yikes