Some More Dragons

CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited August 1, 2006 in Holy Macro
Well here's my first try at shooting dragons, all I can say is... I wish I had a macro lens! These were shot in the macro mode on my 70-300mm lens. Partly cloudy skies at around 1pm (my lunch hour) The sun kept coming and going. I really liked the way the light sparkled on the wings but it completely blew the highlights.

Needless to say I was 15 minutes late back from my lunch break :uhoh I really need to get a new watch!

Charla

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Cool dragons!

I always set my camera to -2/3 exposure compensation when I'm shooting in aperture or shutter priority. The slight underexposure causes colors to saturate and can help to keep highlight from getting blown out in tricky light. Also you might try setting your camera's flash to -2 and use it for a little fill light to bring up the shadows. If you are using the camera's built in flash you can cut a slit in a ping pong ball and slide it over the flash -instant diffuser... mwink.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    Cool dragons!

I always set my camera to -2/3 exposure compensation when I'm shooting in aperture or shutter priority. The slight underexposure causes colors to saturate and can help to keep highlight from getting blown out in tricky light. Also you might try setting your camera's flash to -2 and use it for a little fill light to bring up the shadows. If you are using the camera's built in flash you can cut a slit in a ping pong ball and slide it over the flash -instant diffuser... mwink.gif

Thanks so much for the tips! I will give those a try. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Dalen's tips are worth tryng nice you found a dragon :D nice shots
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 27, 2006
    Dalen's tips are worth tryng nice you found a dragon :D nice shots

Thanks Awais!
    There are several small lakes near my work that I visit on my lunch breaks and there are hundreds of dragons there now. It's a really nice way the break up my workday, even if the light sucks. :):

Charla
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Charla wrote:
    Well here's my first try at shooting dragons, all I can say is... I wish I had a macro lens! These were shot in the macro mode on my 70-300mm lens. Partly cloudy skies at around 1pm (my lunch hour) The sun kept coming and going. I really liked the way the light sparkled on the wings but it completely blew the highlights.

Needless to say I was 15 minutes late back from my lunch break :uhoh I really need to get a new watch!

Charla

Nice series............ Dragonflies are really popular with lots of folks, especially with me rolleyes1.gif mostly because I rarely see them in my neck of the woods..... I love their body structure, the Heads of these creatures are just amazing, almost have the Miltary Look about them :D

Thanks for sharing....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited July 28, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Nice series............ Dragonflies are really popular with lots of folks, especially with me rolleyes1.gif mostly because I rarely see them in my neck of the woods..... I love their body structure, the Heads of these creatures are just amazing, almost have the Miltary Look about them :D

Thanks for sharing....... Skippy (Australia)

Thanks for the comments Skippy! I plan to go back today to see if I can take the tips given and do a little better. I'm going to switch back to autofocus because I'm wondering if maybe my eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be, I can't seem to get a sharp focus on anything lately. umph.gif

Charla
    edited July 29, 2006
    Dragons Round #2

I switched to autofocus and set EC at -0.7
    I think I did a little better on the focus and detail but I still want a macro lens!

Thanks for looking :D
    Charla

Dragonfly8.jpg

Dragonfly7.jpg

Dragonfly6.jpg

Dragonfly5.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Charla wrote:
    Dragons Round #2
    I think I did a little better on the focus and detail but I still want a macro lens!
    Charla

Hi again Charla........Dragonflies have the best heads, they really do.
    Your lucky you can find some to actually photograph..... the dragon in your last shot looks like he is posing for you........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Charla wrote:
    Dragons Round #2

Charla

OK, much better! clap.gif

Now turn off the auto focus and concentrate on putting the area of sharp focus right over the eyes...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited August 1, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    OK, much better! clap.gif

Now turn off the auto focus and concentrate on putting the area of sharp focus right over the eyes...

Thanks! I'll give it another go round with manual focus but I'm at the point where I'm not sure I trust my eyes anymore. headscratch.gif We'll see what happens. :):

Charla