Skyscrapers the Sky and the past

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited July 30, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is how I see a place such as this. Missing what once was there and replaced with steel.

Taken in Chicago the tall building is the Sears Tower.

chicagodgrin.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 27, 2006
    Shot from the JHB?

Was that frosted glass you shot through or a layer you added?

I'm getting the concept but I'm not sold on the capture being that strong. It's muted and washed out. The sky is blown out and there is a lack of sharpness that bugs me. Perhaps I'm biased though as that is my hometown skyline and I might just be extra critical of a subject I'm so familiar with.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Now that is a creative response to the challenge theme! I like the idea a lot. I do wish the city were a bit less bluish and I think that the photo could be improved with a bit more "pop." Still, the concept is wonderful. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Email
  • Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    I really like the idea behind the shot.
    Personally, I think it would work better on a different scale.
    i.e.; One or two buildings with tree outline in a proportionate scale.
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    :thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    I understand the idea, but not sure that's what come across when one looks at the picture. Don't think the two really connect.
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Seems like a good idea, but the 'artificial' superimposition of the trees over the buildings weakens it for me. How about a real tree, growing in a vacant lot, tall buildings all around? That would do contrast for me in a more real way.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    It took me a long time to get it, and something about the balance appears off, too.

I really do like the current skyline (and I am like a tree hugger), but the current skyline is strong as a photo, IMO. Now if you could just find that vacant lot with one tree on it surrounded by bldgs, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    I love the idea.....but it doesnt look like frosted glass to me....it looks like an overlay......if you can work with contrast etc a bit to blend it more......I think it would really be even more wonderfull than it is clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    To me, at first glance, it looks like you shot the pic through a dirty window. I didn't see a "tree" until I read the caption, and then...still not too much.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    i can see contrast between a dirty glass and clean cty nice idea thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Because the trees are scaled to be 100M away, while the buildings are 1000M or more, I thought it was a dirty glass... and I think it's the scaling that has thrown others off as well. It wasn't until I read the text that I got it... all that said, I do think you're on the right track.

Jamie