New guy and some bike questions.

Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited July 28, 2006 in Sports
Hey guys...New guy to the forums...thought I would share a few assorted images from this year and ask a question....I am shooting my first AMA race at Mid-Ohio in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what is the lens of choice with the more experienced guys? I shoot Mid-Ohio on a regular basis, but given the size of the bikes, I was wondering if a 400L is long enough?

Thanks and on to the images...

rolex4.jpg

9201web.jpg

usgp17.jpg

Comments

• F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Terry66 wrote:
    I was wondering what is the lens of choice with the more experienced guys? I shoot Mid-Ohio on a regular basis, but given the size of the bikes, I was wondering if a 400L is long enough?
    Hi Terry66,

Welcome to the forum! There is quite a bit to be learned from these guys here on Digital Grin.

I'm relatively new to motorsports but I'll chuck in my observations thus far...
    Most of the pro photogs I've seen and spoken with use either the 500 F4 L or 300 2.8 L and keep 1.4 tele with them at all times! I use a 400 2.8 L myself with a 1.4 tele and it probably goes without saying that almost everyone has the 70-200 2.8 L for it's flexibilty and convenience. Nikon equilvalents in other cases of course.

Every lens on the market is a little too short for something and a bit too long for something else! Working the angles with whatever your comfortable with (both physically and financially) will help you decide on the glass for YOUR needs.

I hope that's food for thought!

Your images are very compelling and I love the colors. I'll throw in some constructive critisism here so as to offer something of more value...
    The crops are a little bit "frustrating" and by that I mean if there's going to be a tight crop then great (I'm all for it) but make sure its tight and not simply clipped as in #2 and #3. Very tight crops look intentional while clips look like mistakes.

Great first post too!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• mghanermghaner Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Gto-r
    Hey Terry66,
    Sorry I dont have info on the lens question. I was wondering if you had any more pics of the GTO-R? Maybe a side shot or something.
    Thanks, Mike
    "I feel way more like I do right now then I did earlier today"
    http://www.mikehaner.blogspot.com

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Well no help here but

I will be at Mid-Ohio on Sat. probably with the 717...or maybe the 20D and only one lens.
    Looks like we will get wet...again :D

Awesome photos too

Fred
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    :): :): cool photos welcome to the forum keep posting iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Terrific shots!

Go to Maczippy's profile, click on "Find all threads started by Maczippy."

He shoots bikes for publication, does a superb job.

In at least one of his threads, he discusses his lenses and techniques. I may be wrong, but I don't think he uses anything more than 200mm for most of his work. Of course, he's credentialed and has good access.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Thanks...
    Thanks for the feedback guys....

Chris...I know where you are coming from on the clipping. I probably should have put a little thought into the images of my first post to the forum, but alas I just grabbed a few...I shoot everything from full shots to extreme crops and everything in between...some work and some don't...and I am cool with that...I do appreciate the constructive feedback!

Thanks for the info on Andrew. I'll check it out. I'll have credentials, so maybe I'll run into him at the track. His shots are superb...I have seen his work and read his column a couple of times. Serious amounts of respect for his work.

Mike...I'll see if I can dig out some photos of the GTO-R. Marc Bunting who is driving the GTO-R in the rain photo emailed me the other day about getting copies of the pic. I told him I would dig out the others, so I'll post what I have in a couple of days. You a GTO guy? Check out this shot I took of the car last year...This was taken in one of the garages at Mid-Ohio.

power.jpg
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Great shots. I iloveyou.gif the last. thumb.gif Welcome to the forum.
    xtnomad :wink
  • mghanermghaner Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Love the GTO
    I love the GTO (Holden Monaro to be exact) both my wife and I bought 2004 GTO's. She got a Silver auto and I got a Black 6 speed. I put alot into mine converting as much as I could back to the Holden Monaro look. I did some stuff to the engine adding about 40 more HP to the LS1 Vette motor. The cars are totally rockin and faster then most anything else you run into very often on the road. Since they kinda look like a Cavaler on steriods they are real sleepers for sure. The only problem is that they seem to pass most everything except a gas station. Great pics of the GTO-R and I look forward to more pics of it and more posts from you in general. I love the other pics of your too. Keep up the great work.

All the best to you and yours..............Mike

Terry66 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback guys....

Chris...I know where you are coming from on the clipping. I probably should have put a little thought into the images of my first post to the forum, but alas I just grabbed a few...I shoot everything from full shots to extreme crops and everything in between...some work and some don't...and I am cool with that...I do appreciate the constructive feedback!

Thanks for the info on Andrew. I'll check it out. I'll have credentials, so maybe I'll run into him at the track. His shots are superb...I have seen his work and read his column a couple of times. Serious amounts of respect for his work.

Mike...I'll see if I can dig out some photos of the GTO-R. Marc Bunting who is driving the GTO-R in the rain photo emailed me the other day about getting copies of the pic. I told him I would dig out the others, so I'll post what I have in a couple of days. You a GTO guy? Check out this shot I took of the car last year...This was taken in one of the garages at Mid-Ohio.

power.jpg
    "I feel way more like I do right now then I did earlier today"
    http://www.mikehaner.blogspot.com

• Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Hey Mike..This is my favorite GTO shot of the year...Unfortunately all I have is a small version here in the office, but in the larger version you can really see the blue sky and clouds reflecting off the gray paint. It's from the SPEED GT series.

0001.jpg

Cool story on the his and hers GTOs. Any pictures of them?
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Just wanted to say welcome, thanks for posting some awesome shots (that last one is SWEET), and I have no idea about the lenses. I'd love to try the 400/5.6 out for myself, though.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72