Options

RAW via ACR vs. DPP

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited November 26, 2004 in Finishing School
I'm trying to compare RAW conversion with Adobe Camera Raw versus Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. But I want to make sure I'm comparing basic settings correctly.

ACR has settings for Contrast from -50 to +100, with +25 being the middle. It has Saturation from -100 to +100, with 0 being the middle.

DPP has settings for Contrast from -2 to +2, with 0 being the middle. It has Saturation from -2 to +2, with 0 being the middle.

Can I safely assume that +100 Contrast and +2 Contrast are the same? Likewise, that ACR's equivalent to DPP's +1 would be halfway between +25 and +100? Or would this be a wrong assumption on my part?
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm trying to compare RAW conversion with Adobe Camera Raw versus Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. But I want to make sure I'm comparing basic settings correctly.

ACR has settings for Contrast from -50 to +100, with +25 being the middle. It has Saturation from -100 to +100, with 0 being the middle.

DPP has settings for Contrast from -2 to +2, with 0 being the middle. It has Saturation from -2 to +2, with 0 being the middle.

Can I safely assume that +100 Contrast and +2 Contrast are the same? Likewise, that ACR's equivalent to DPP's +1 would be halfway between +25 and +100? Or would this be a wrong assumption on my part?
    Merc,

Sorry for not getting you a response on this...

I'm not sure that ACR's +100 contrast and DPP's +2 contrast would be equivalent. I would like to see the same image run through both programs at minimum, maximum, and mid point contrast levels and see how the results compare.