Strong Hands

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited August 3, 2006 in People
On my daily walk yesterday I've noticed this man sitting on the stairs behind a crowd of people awaiting for their bus. There was no real way of photographing him due to the crowd until I saw him from the side. I almost gave it a miss as usually it is the face and eyes that make the portraits interesting.

Suddenly, I have noticed his hands and a quote from an old children movie "Neverending Story" came instantly to my mind:"They look like big, strong, good hands don’t they.” Once strong, now powerless. Once healthy, now unfit. The nothing had taken hold."

This triptych of digital photographs is dedicated to these once strong hands.
Strong-Hands-1-IMG_4179.jpg Strong-Hands-2-IMG_4180.jpg Strong-Hands-3-IMG_4181.jpg
Strong Hands - Part i
Strong Hands - Part ii
Strong Hands - Part iii
Click the thumbnails or the links for full phtographs.
PS: I have increased the size of my thumbnails :):

Comments

• photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    On my daily walk yesterday I've noticed this man sitting on the stairs behind a crowd of people awaiting for their bus. There was no real way of photographing him due to the crowd until I saw him from the side. I almost gave it a miss as usually it is the face and eyes that make the portraits interesting.

Suddenly, I have noticed his hands and a quote from an old children movie "Neverending Story" came instantly to my mind:"They look like big, strong, good hands don’t they.” Once strong, now powerless. Once healthy, now unfit. The nothing had taken hold."

This triptych of digital photographs is dedicated to these once strong hands.
    Strong-Hands-1-IMG_4179.jpg Strong-Hands-2-IMG_4180.jpg Strong-Hands-3-IMG_4181.jpg
    Strong Hands - Part i
    Strong Hands - Part ii
    Strong Hands - Part iii
    Click the thumbnails or the links for full phtographs.
    PS: I have increased the size of my thumbnails :):

Ted, Your images evoke so much emotion from me. Thank you for sharing...and, I feel honored you critiqued my photo.
    Mandi
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Powerful B&W, Ted. Those hands really are remarkable.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Very powerful even without eye contact...maybe more so. I think the first shot really shows the hands well, it's unfortunate the finger-tip is cut off. I like the way he is holding his hands, and they appear to have once been very strong indeed. It almost appears as if he is contemplating what they once were capable of accomplishing. thumb.gif
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    very nice! shows a lot about the person in the image....those are the best kinds of images....that invoke passion and wonder and awe about the thing/stuff/person in the photograph.

great job,

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Very powerful even without eye contact...maybe more so. I think the first shot really shows the hands well, it's unfortunate the finger-tip is cut off. I like the way he is holding his hands, and they appear to have once been very strong indeed. It almost appears as if he is contemplating what they once were capable of accomplishing. thumb.gif

I agree! It's like he thinks about times that won't come back.. makes me sad a little. Isn't it great that the shot you actually thought would be second best -because you wanted to capture his face and couldn't- gives this extra emotion to the photo? Great BW also Ted!
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Mandi,
    I'm trying to be a fair participant of this forum. To me this not only means showing my work but also to enjoy the work of others. Learn something from them and teach something if there is an opportunity.
    photofreak wrote:
    Ted, Your images evoke so much emotion from me. Thank you for sharing...and, I feel honored you critiqued my photo.
    Mandi
    edited July 29, 2006
    So many comments. I'm glad you are enjoying my photography. I must confess good feedback encourages me to take more and probably more
    challenging
    shots - like the ones in this post. Thanks all.
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    "They look like big, strong, good hands don’t they.” Once strong, now powerless. Once healthy, now unfit. The nothing had taken hold."[/I]

Ted - Very powerful, emotional images. I was very impacted by them and the quote makes it much more! I'll always remember that part of the movie, and it fits so well.

Of the three, I feel that #2 is perfect - the position of his hands and with his head down, it adds so much more!

It reminds me of a shot I took in Mexico. We were doing ministry at a village that literally lived on a dump. They made they money by rummaging through the trash, day after day, and would build things with junk. Hope you don't mind the post, here's one of the "rummagers":

66485742-S.jpg
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
    edited July 30, 2006
    Thanks for comments.
    No, I don't mind at all. This forum is for sharing and exchanging experiences. We learn not only about photography but also about the world we living in through the photography of others.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 30, 2006
    I really like this series. There's great tension and emotion but it's left to the viewers interpretation more so than if you could see the mans face. THat's cool. I'm not super crazy about some of the filters applied but that's a style thing and totally subjective. For me they are a bit orange...but regardless, the captures are brilliant. I envy your diverse subjects, the aboriginal features (other post) you get to shoot are truly striking.
    edited August 1, 2006
    The coversion was done using optikverve plugin, which I actually like - it is a subjective thing.

Australia is quite diverse when it comes to racial mix, I guess it is similar to USA to some extend. Apparently every 5th Australian, including me wasn't born here.

As for aboriginal tribes - I do not see many of them around. Mostly performers. I'd like to do a proper tour of inland Australia but that takes time and money. One day...
    truth wrote:
    I really like this series. There's great tension and emotion but it's left to the viewers interpretation more so than if you could see the mans face. THat's cool. I'm not super crazy about some of the filters applied but that's a style thing and totally subjective. For me they are a bit orange...but regardless, the captures are brilliant. I envy your diverse subjects, the aboriginal features (other post) you get to shoot are truly striking.
  • John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Really powerful shots, all threeclap.gif . I like them as a set. Also really like your processing job. Thanks for sharing.
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    For moi, #2 is the strongest. #1, you cut off the pinky, #3 has a bit more going on ... #2 is very strong, the hand are held almost prayer like, the winkles of the hands are reflected in the wrinkles of the side of the face.

I would like to see a tighter crop. The white concrete stairway wall is distracting, I'd crop and burn that sucker to minimize its distracting brightness.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited August 1, 2006
    Take a shot at the post process and show me what you mean.
    Seefutlung wrote:
    For moi, #2 is the strongest. #1, you cut off the pinky, #3 has a bit more going on ... #2 is very strong, the hand are held almost prayer like, the winkles of the hands are reflected in the wrinkles of the side of the face.

I would like to see a tighter crop. The white concrete stairway wall is distracting, I'd crop and burn that sucker to minimize its distracting brightness.
    edited August 1, 2006
    Take a shot at the post process and show me what you mean.

Sure ... no problem in right-clicking from your site?

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited August 2, 2006
    85650984-L.jpg

85650989-L.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited August 3, 2006
    I like that crop quite a lot. I'll see if I can rework the series over the weekend using something like that as a template.
    edited August 3, 2006
    Thanks for allowing me to work with your pix. Notice that I darkened most everything except the hands and triangle of the face. Good luck.
    Unsharp at any Speed