84551569-L.jpg

84551570-L.jpg

84656608-L.jpg

84656876-L.jpg

84656880-L.jpg

Comments

• illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    I like the feel of these photos, you did a nice job, I always get scared to take photos of homeless people, I'm afraid they'll get mad at me.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 29, 2006
    I like the feel of these photos, you did a nice job, I always get scared to take photos of homeless people, I'm afraid they'll get mad at me.
    Thanks!

FYI: If you look on my site I plan to donate any sales from this gallery to the shelters in the area.

You have to be very careful and very polite. If it's obvious you're shooting someone you best ask. Many times for the change in my pocket (which I usually give anyway) I can get the green light for a few quick pics. For true candids it's much more of a challenge. I'm a pretty scary looking guy so not too many people will get too tough with me but I never want to get in that situation (especially not with the cam on my neck). I've had peopel get all kinds of bent out of shape and i always put thte cam down, apologize and keep on walking. Be quick and move on before anyone knows what happened. You can always go back for another lap a little later if you did not get the shot. Also, be very aware of your surroundings, don;t get lost in the camera and end up in a bad scenario. Sadly there are far too many subjects to shoot to get too focused on any one scene.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Some good shots there, with the second photo probably being something I'd do.

As you may know I shoot similar photographs often. I select people I approach very carefully. I rather not take the shot than anger some of the people. I never approach people who are visibly "too far gone". They are mentally unstable to say the least. I also do not venture outside of main streets with reasonable crowds around. So far I have been lucky with only 2 refusals for this kind of photography.

It may sound oxymoronic but we have career "homeless" in Sydney. They have these cardboard signs. Usually with some plea for donation. When you see them day in day out for years in the same spot and read these "changing" situation signs you really wonder what they are doing there.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    sad photos well photographed
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 29, 2006

It may sound oxymoronic but we have career "homeless" in Sydney. They have these cardboard signs. Usually with some plea for donation. When you see them day in day out for years in the same spot and read these "changing" situation signs you really wonder what they are doing there.

We have the same thing here in Chicago. I give them no attention nor do I respect their wishes or demands. They are so pervasive here that in the past few years there have been numerous and increasingly ridgid panhandling laws passed to attempt to eliminate the most aggresive of the lot. It's a tough situation and one that I can only hope is helped by the pictures I take. Having lived in the heart of the city for the past 8 years I can say with all honesty that the situation is not getting better. In fact, as the city rides the wave of urban renewal it seems to be growing more and more desperate.
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Very strong Truth...nicely done. It's hard to say positive comments about images like these but I really like the concepts & framing for #1 and #2. I love the guy in motion for #1, and the reflection of the city in #2 - it really adds to the images.

You did a great job these. I love your differences in angles.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin