Holy Cow!!!

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited August 3, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Can it be true, custom water marks, backside printing? What else???? Check out your control panel :clap
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    backside printing?

:moon ?
    Smug since 2003
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    backside printing?
    Actually, we're not going into the photo tattoo business.

backside.jpg
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    backside printing?
    It's almost like you're trying to scare off customers, Mike.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Actually, we're not going into the photo tattoo business.

backside.jpg
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Uh.. er...

You know what I mean... My excitement got the best of me...

:lol
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 28, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Uh.. er...

You know what I mean... My excitement got the best of me...

:lol
    hide the cats when IE7 comes out then!
    Pedal faster
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    It pays to subscribe to the smugblog RSS feed for release notes. Blammo, there's the news! This is the hottest "new hotness" in a while. whew, turn on the air conditioner!

(No, I'm not talking about that photo.)
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    The awesomeness of these features cannot be described with words.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Can it be true, custom water marks, backside printing? What else???? Check out your control panel clap.gif
    I just noticed this now. Sweet! Gonna check things out and see what new goodies Smugmug has come out with. Thanks guys!

-Matt-

*edit*

84611572-L.jpg

AAHHH!!! SWEET!!!

*edit II*

84612873-L.jpg

AAAHHHHHHH!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! I LOVE YOU SMUGMUG!!! Wow, honestly I am in love with this. I can now have my own microstock company. How cool...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • tweakertweaker Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    The awesomeness of these features cannot be described with words.

I will attempt with a Haiku

Smugblog Says new features
    Overwhelming mouse clicks of joy
    Must hold back the tears :cry
    -Paul
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    holy cow is right!
    Way to go, SM folks! These new features are much requested and much appreciated. Thank you for listening (and more importantly, acting on the requests).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    What the heck happened?
    I'm gone for a few days, and all of a sudden, we get all this stuff everybody's been asking for? suweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
  • C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    this is soo awesome! Thanks smugmug
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    rain on parade
    I hate to rain on the parade, all of these new features are wowie zowie and really needed after all the requests, but i cant help but notice that they are pro only..

It seems that all major feature releases are either for everyone (mapping, timelines, etc) or for pros (watermarking [already a pro feature so thats fine], digital downloads [again, gotta set a price so pro for this is fine], and again same with proof delayed, as proofs are implied). it seems power users dont havnt really gotten anything new (please correct me if im wrong, i could be totally forgetting something at this hour).

what about backprinting? why cant at least power users get at this? my photos arnt numerous enough or good enough to go the 'pro' angle with regards to selling, but id still like to get my website on the back print, or even for my personal prinitng needs maybe i want the date.

please, give us power users something too!

as i said though, good on all of you for getting these things done and meeting the demand, im yet again very impressed, id just like access to something new as well without having to fork out $90 to get at them..

-r
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    To add to your thoughts, renstar, I can think of one thing:

When I had a "power" account, I hated not having the "clean" option. I think power users should be awarded this option for their gallery customization, if they haven't already.

Oh and a couple other things would be nice that would benefit everyone, like panoramic printing, or just a complete re-assesment of our business ties to EZ-prints. Maybe SM should go over it's printing options every 5 years or every decade, if it can, and pick the best lab. I think performing a print test ONCE back in '03 or '02 is not enough. I like that SM has finally adopted the $0.19 4x6" print price as well as a few other price improvements, but there are still better options out there now. Namely WHCC, MPIX, or maybe even Adorama... Both which offer true B&W prints, and WHCC / MPIX offering metallic as well.

But that's another topic for, well, another topic...

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    When I had a "power" account, I hated not having the "clean" option. I think power users should be awarded this option for their gallery customization, if they haven't already.

Power users can always do this thru customization:

.updated {display: none;}
    p.description {display: none;}
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    To add to your thoughts, renstar, I can think of one thing:

Standard users (and Power) have this option already. ?
    Oh and a couple other things would be nice that would benefit everyone, like panoramic printing, or just a complete re-assesment of our business ties to EZ-prints. Maybe SM should go over it's printing options every 5 years or every decade, if it can, and pick the best lab. I think performing a print test ONCE back in '03 or '02 is not enough. I like that SM has finally adopted the $0.19 4x6" print price as well as a few other price improvements, but there are still better options out there now. Namely WHCC, MPIX, or maybe even Adorama... Both which offer true B&W prints, and WHCC / MPIX offering metallic as well.

We re-evaluate at least yearly, and usually more often than that - like every 6 months. WHCC and MPIX, while nice labs, don't come close to EZ Prints when measured against all the criteria - at least, not yet.

We rarely get requests for metallic prints, so that's not a big motivating factor. We've ordered plenty ourselves, of course, but I'm not sure anyone at the company actually liked them.

I'm not sure we've looked into Adorama, though...

Don
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Don

And I hope you don't. Maybe their ok with new stuff, but with used stuff their business practices are pretty shady.
    edited July 30, 2006
    proof delay kudos
    I just have to add that if this feature works like it should-- it's fantastic! This has the potential to save event shooters major time by only having to post-process actual print orders rather every single photo. Smugmug, this is a feature that really, really has potential and that will save me so much time and effort. Thank you. I just set up a gallery with the proof delay to test it out.

clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

• flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Standard users (and Power) have this option already. ?

We re-evaluate at least yearly, and usually more often than that - like every 6 months. WHCC and MPIX, while nice labs, don't come close to EZ Prints when measured against all the criteria - at least, not yet.

We rarely get requests for metallic prints, so that's not a big motivating factor. We've ordered plenty ourselves, of course, but I'm not sure anyone at the company actually liked them.

Don

Metallic prints are kewl; some pics look great when printed on metallic prints, but i have had prints that did not look too great at all (e.g. skin-tones seemed 'off').

But true B&W is really nice. It is hard to describe, but it just looks a bit better. However, i must admit, the EZPrints printing of B&W pics is very good. Even in very sharp areas, you won't see a color bleed. I had some B&W-pics printed at CVS, for example, and the hair of some people in the pics turned greenish.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited July 31, 2006
    i could be wrong...
    ... but I know "how" you convert to b&w is crucial too. There are many ways and not all of them are good. And-- it depends on how you like your b&w's too-- for example a lot of folks like the "channel mixer" method. I actually prefer the "LAB method" followed by a healthy curves tweak to really bring out the whites and blacks. I'm sure most folks here know this-- but simply desaturating you photos is not very good for true b&w's.

Anyway, I've had decent b&w prints from EZ Prints too-- but again, I use a fairly heathly curves tweak and soft-proofing to make sure they're going to print like I want. But... it's all subjective. I love high-contrast b&w... so this may not work for the more grayish b&w fans.

• PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Oh Wonderful

Thankyou!
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    :jawdrop:jawdrop So very cool. Thanks guys, your customer service remains top-notch. bowdown.gif

Off to explore the new toys.
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    When it rains it pours indeed....

So where is the "racing stripe" option for the "backside" printing?rolleyes1.gif
  • Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Andy, JT and the rest of the team,

Thank you for ALL the great features you just added. I've been requesting most of these since I started and they are finally here. I'm glad I signed up for another year last week!

It looks like all of these are going to work out extremely well for us. The delayed printing/proofing option just completes the whole Pro Sales Series of features. Great job team!!!
    clap.gif

Best regards,
    Fred