Image Display Size?

redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited July 30, 2006 in SmugMug Support
On my smugmug site, I let the user select display size. The default starts out medium. That's OK. I set "your preferred size" to large. Then, if I "link" navigate back to the gallery page, subsequent image displays remain large. OK.

But, if I use the browser's back arrow function and pass thru the previous medium image page to the gallery index, subsequent image page displays are medium again, even though the "preferred size" selection shows large.

Seems like most users will "back arrow", thus losing their preferred size setting. Is this how it's supposed to work, a bug, or do I have something set wrong in my configs.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    On my smugmug site, I let the user select display size. The default starts out medium. That's OK. I set "your preferred size" to large. Then, if I "link" navigate back to the gallery page, subsequent image displays remain large. OK.

But, if I use the browser's back arrow function and pass thru the previous medium image page to the gallery index, subsequent image page displays are medium again, even though the "preferred size" selection shows large.

Seems like most users will "back arrow", thus losing their preferred size setting. Is this how it's supposed to work, a bug, or do I have something set wrong in my configs.

Back arrow will present the page from the browser's cache - it's not refreshing so it's not getting the Large.

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
  • redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Thanks, Andy. I understand that when I back arrow thru the "medium" page display I'm seeing the cache. But I'm asking about backarrowing to the index and then displaying a completely different image. Seems the new image should be displayed large since preferred size is set to large. But it's not. It's displayed medium. Acts like back arrow passing thru the original medium display page is somehow resetting the preference. Again, if I don't backarrow, but instead go to index via the nav bar, then display a new image, it comes up large. But I think back arrow is a more common practice. Seems to behave the same on a couple other people's sites I've tried. One of my indexes: http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1701701 Another behaving the same: http://www.lbg.smugmug.com/
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 29, 2006
    when you 'back button' to your index, you're still pulling that 'index' out of the cache, and all the links on that index are coded to the viewing size that was set when the user visited the index the first time.

so if the user has their viewing size set to medium all the links on the index page will be coded as medium. When they go to your full image view, you force it to large, but when they go back to the index via back button they get medium links again.

make sense?
    Pedal faster
  • redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Thanks Bigwebguy,

Yes, it makes sense that the cache is causing the issue of losing preferred size settings. But I still don't see the difference between arriving at an index via back arrow and arriving at via direct link from a navbar. The URL's look the same, seems both would be coming from the cache. But clearly the two methods produce different results.

Regardless, I don't want it to happen (Losing perferred size settings via back arrow, that is), so is there a way to fix?

Google finds various examples of code to force a page to reload from server instead of cache, but before I do trail and error I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm not real happy with the "expire page, force reload" solutions because they will cause increase in bandwidth usage.