a different grandmother shot

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited July 31, 2006 in People
her personality really flows through the shot, but of course i actually know her! what say ye, the dgrinners? :ears

84641875-L.jpg

bonus family shot..... my grandma is one of four sisters, on rare occasion they all get together. not too many "complete" reunions left....

84642672-M.jpg
(nothing fancy shot....great grandma doesn't have alot of up time and walking far for better backrounds is out of the question. all five were thrilled with the shot)

family = legacy,
chris
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 29, 2006
    In the first shot it seems the focus is on her lips which is making her eyes go soft. Happens to me all the time especially if I have the af sensor set for the center.

Are they all wearing the exact same glasses in the second pic? It's a nice casual family portrait. Has a happy vibe to it.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    I agree w truth, only it looks to me like that first shot may have been "blurred" in post, if so I would lose it, the blur.

I do like the second shot!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    no af sensor to blame... it was a manual focus 50mm f1.4, stopped to f2 if i can remember right. No blur added in post, it was shot with a diffusion filter, though the colors were manipulated in post a little to give it a bit different feel. but yes.... i focused on her lips umph.giflol3.gif i don't manually focus enough to always get them spot on mwink.gif

those glasses DO look simular don't they! just simular tastes i suppose.....that's really funny!! headscratch.giflol3.gif

thank you both for your comments!! thumb.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    I've got to say, I don't mind the emphasis on her lips in the first shot. The portrait shows her years and experience, and she's about to say something very wise.

The second is a good family shot. What's wonderful is that everyone has her eyes open, and they are all smiling at the same time. :D

P.S. The family resemblance is amazing.
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I agree w truth, only it looks to me like that first shot may have been "blurred" in post, if so I would lose it, the blur.

I do like the second shot!

ginger
    speaking of blur...perhaps slightly blurring the background would make those beautiful ladies stand out more...MHO
    Mandi
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
    edited July 31, 2006
    I've got to say, I don't mind the emphasis on her lips in the first shot. The portrait shows her years and experience, and she's about to say something very wise.

The second is a good family shot. What's wonderful is that everyone has her eyes open, and they are all smiling at the same time. :D

P.S. The family resemblance is amazing.

The personality resemblance is stark as well, those ladies are something! I thought simular things about her lips, she is a very wise person and has always given me good advice, but interpitation is very subjective in this instance, eh?
    edited July 31, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    speaking of blur...perhaps slightly blurring the background would make those beautiful ladies stand out more...MHO
    Mandi

I was toying with the idea, I agree it could be improved with more work. The photo's already printed and passed among those who really wanted a copy, so any more work to it would just be for myself. No biggie, really.

Thanks for your comment thumb.gif