Options

I think I need a lens

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited December 11, 2004 in Accessories
For doing "The Calendar" I got some gifts one of which was a gift certificate to a camera store yipeeeeee

I have an 18-55mm lens (came with the rebel and a 300 mm zoom (not IS) what, in your humble but expert opinions would be a good lens for me to indulge myself in.. I rarely use the 300mm.. comments are welcome.
Thanks kids
Lynnma:1drink

(or should I skip the lens and get some filters... what what?? help!!)

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    Since I got my 50mm f/1.8, I've been in supreme bliss. And it's $70 new.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Since I got my 50mm f/1.8, I've been in supreme bliss. And it's $70 new.
    50mm f1.8 is a nice lens.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    how much do you have to spend?

the 17-40 f/4L is universally loved (and you know i love the wides) under $800
    the 50 f/1.4L is under $300, super for low light!

the 35 f/2 nice review here is close to a 50mm "normal" lens on your rebel body

the 50 f/1.8 is only $70 yeah it's good too.

tell us more, lynnie!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    What ability do you want... that you dont have?

Some Ideas...

Ifrared- Get a cokin A series filter holder and a cokin infrared filter, try something new.

Macro- get a set of Kenko auto-extension tubes for extreme closeup work with your existing lens.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    There are so many great options. The 50mm f2.5 "compact macro" is a fine all perfect lens and is great for bugs and flowers and other found treasures. And it is compact, which makes it good for streat photography.

PF would suggest the Tamron 28-80..
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    For doing "The Calendar" I got some gifts one of which was a gift certificate to a camera store yipeeeeee

I have an 18-55mm lens (came with the rebel and a 300 mm zoom (not IS) what, in your humble but expert opinions would be a good lens for me to indulge myself in.. I rarely use the 300mm.. comments are welcome.
    Thanks kids
    Lynnma1drink.gif

(or should I skip the lens and get some filters... what what?? help!!)
    Lynnma,

I'm gona go against the tide here. While many here advocate the 50mm 1.8, I say no way! Sure it looks innocent. I mean it's only $80.00 or so with tax, license, and dealer prep. What could possably be a problem? After all your only risking $80.00 right?

Wrong!!! Stick with me and I'll set you straight. What happens is you buy this little cheap plastic lens and begin to wonder if you made a mistake, but since you have it, well then, might as well take a few photos, right?

All seems well but, the danger is creeping close and closer, and your totally unaware. Then you down load those suposed innocent photos to your computer. Oh the horror! It's closing in, and you haven't got a clue.

You open the first one in PhotoShop......to late....it strikes! your jaw drops, inarticulate sounds usher from your lips....some near might claim later to have heard it as WOW! or unbelievable! or worse...........

That night you begin dream and lust after the "L" glass. You are now trasformed for life. There is no going back.

Soon you'll be standing at busy intersections durring commute times, with a card board sign, Please help an "L" glass adict.....spare change....anything...please!

The only thing I have to say, is stay off my streat corner...find your own!

Hi....my name is Sam and I'm an "L" glass adict.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 22, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Lynnma,

I'm gona go against the tide here. While many here advocate the 50mm 1.8, I say no way! Sure it looks innocent. I mean it's only $80.00 or so with tax, license, and dealer prep. What could possably be a problem? After all your only risking $80.00 right?

Wrong!!! Stick with me and I'll set you straight. What happens is you buy this little cheap plastic lens and begin to wonder if you made a mistake, but since you have it, well then, might as well take a few photos, right?

All seems well but, the danger is creeping close and closer, and your totally unaware. Then you down load those suposed innocent photos to your computer. Oh the horror! It's closing in, and you haven't got a clue.

You open the first one in PhotoShop......to late....it strikes! your jaw drops, inarticulate sounds usher from your lips....some near might claim later to have heard it as WOW! or unbelievable! or worse...........

That night you begin dream and lust after the "L" glass. You are now trasformed for life. There is no going back.

Soon you'll be standing at busy intersections durring commute times, with a card board sign, Please help an "L" glass adict.....spare change....anything...please!

HI, My name is Pathfinder and I am an "L" glass addict. I own several and I want more, more.

But Rutt is right - I am a real believer in the fast normal range zoom - Canon's 24-70 f2.8 L - a real gem, sharp, fast, heavy for a 300D, and expensive - but worth every cent. A cheaper alternative that is as fast, lighter and hence better ergonomically for the 300D, and less expensive than the L glass - as I am sure you already know - is the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di. (Tamron should be paying me for this, shouldn't they. But I have seen the same opinion from other reviewers online as well.)
    You will not be unhappy with the Canon 28-135 IS either, but it is not as fast as the normal range zooms. Having seen many of your images online, I really think you will make good use of the flexibility of a fast f2.8 mid-range zoom. YMMV

The Tamron 17-40 f2.8 Di also gets very high marks if you need a wider lens. Or you could go straight for the 70-200 f2.8 IS L for a real thrill.
    1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2004
    I'm very partial towards the 50mm 1.8 since i own one as well. It does take rock solid pics. One major benefit to this lens, aside from what others have said, is the fact that it captures Infrared pics with the Hoya R72 filter quite well. Not sure about the other ones but that's a great benefit.

Another plus? You can buy a step up ring (52mm-58mm) for about $8 and use all the filters you currently own for the 18-55mm.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited November 23, 2004
    Oh boy....

I'm prepared for addiction... I'm addicted to most things most of the time so whats one more...

Thanks all so much .. I'm gonna read again, and then again..hmmm

I'll try not to be implusive and do my homeowork (nearly impossible)

1drink.gif

ya know? I've bin thinkin.... you've all seen the shots I take.. do you honestly believe that I'll really "see" the difference if I buy another lens... do you think I'm at that level.. I'm not sure I am.
    Be honest... it's no crime to be a novice :D
    Damon where did you find your lens for $70 and is it a Canon?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4687&item=3854697856&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

OK I've been doing some homework and now see why I desperately need a faster lens than 5.6.. which lens is everyone talking about for $80??? AND just to show you how dumb I am... what does L glass mean????ne_nau.gif and no Pathfinder I don't know anything about nuttin... less than nuttin actually...
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 23, 2004
    1drink.gifOK I've been doing some homework and now see why I desperately need a faster lens than 5.6.. which lens is everyone talking about for $80??? AND just to show you how dumb I am... what does L glass mean????ne_nau.gif and no Pathfinder I don't know anything about nuttin... less than nuttin actually...

Lynn,
    They're talking about the plastic 50mm F1.8 Mk II prime. It's available just about anywhere from $70-$90. For the price, I believe it's Canon's best value. You get lots of speed and an 80mm FOV (with the DR, or 10D/20D). For the price, everyone should have one in their bag. Well, unless they can afford the 50mm F1.4 instead rolleyes1.gif

L glass means really good image quality (sharpness, color and contrast) lenses made by Canon. Unfortunately, really good image quality lenses from Canon cost big bucks:cry The cheapest usually run about $500 and, other than super tele primes and a few other "unique" lenses, top out around around $1700. If you were really a good girl and got a $1500 camera shop gift certificate, you're all set....lol Personally, I've never been THAT good rolleyes1.gif

The $70-$90 50mm is a great deal. If you want something a little longer, that's also fast and fairly inexpensive, the 85mm F1.8 is another very nice lens. From all that I have seen/read it is the preferred portrait lens. It's also killer for low light action. It runs about $350. The F2.8 Tamron's are usually pretty good too, especially the one mentioned above and the 28-75 F2.8 XR. I believe both are in the mid-$300 range.

Good luck with your decision,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2004
    1drink.gifOK I've been doing some homework and now see why I desperately need a faster lens than 5.6.. which lens is everyone talking about for $80??? AND just to show you how dumb I am... what does L glass mean????ne_nau.gif and no Pathfinder I don't know anything about nuttin... less than nuttin actually...

Lynn,
    They're talking about the plastic 50mm F1.8 Mk II prime. It's available just about anywhere from $70-$90. For the price, I believe it's Canon's best value. You get lots of speed and an 80mm FOV (with the DR, or 10D/20D). For the price, everyone should have one in their bag. Well, unless they can afford the 50mm F1.4 instead rolleyes1.gif

L glass means really good image quality (sharpness, color and contrast) lenses made by Canon. Unfortunately, really good image quality lenses from Canon cost big bucks:cry The cheapest usually run about $500 and, other than super tele primes and a few other "unique" lenses, top out around around $1700. If you were really a good girl and got a $1500 camera shop gift certificate, you're all set....lol Personally, I've never been THAT good rolleyes1.gif

The $70-$90 50mm is a great deal. If you want something a little longer, that's also fast and fairly inexpensive, the 85mm F1.8 is another very nice lens. From all that I have seen/read it is the preferred portrait lens. It's also killer for low light action. It runs about $350. The F2.8 Tamron's are usually pretty good too, especially the one mentioned above and the 28-75 F2.8 XR. I believe both are in the mid-$300 range.

Good luck with your decision,
    Steve
    thanks so much Steve.. I've got some thinkin to do
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Oh boy....

I'm prepared for addiction... I'm addicted to most things most of the time so whats one more...

Thanks all so much .. I'm gonna read again, and then again..hmmm

I'll try not to be implusive and do my homeowork (nearly impossible)

1drink.gif

ya know? I've bin thinkin.... you've all seen the shots I take.. do you honestly believe that I'll really "see" the difference if I buy another lens... do you think I'm at that level.. I'm not sure I am.
    Be honest... it's no crime to be a novice :D
    Damon where did you find your lens for $70 and is it a Canon?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4687&item=3854697856&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

OK I've been doing some homework and now see why I desperately need a faster lens than 5.6.. which lens is everyone talking about for $80??? AND just to show you how dumb I am... what does L glass mean????ne_nau.gif and no Pathfinder I don't know anything about nuttin... less than nuttin actually...

YOU WILL SEE THE DIFFERENCE! That as they say, is the problem. Of course I have no idea who "they" is. ne_nau.gif

Sam
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2004
    Are you feeling strong, lynnma? You could get a Canon 24-70/2.8L. What a sweet and versatile lens. I just got one and I can't wait to see the kind of damage I can do with it. deal.gif

Then again, it may be too heavy for the drebel. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Are you feeling strong, lynnma? You could get a Canon 24-70/2.8L. What a sweet and versatile lens. I just got one and I can't wait to see the kind of damage I can do with it. deal.gif

Then again, it may be too heavy for the drebel. ne_nau.gif
    This is now by far my favorite lens.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    This is now by far my favorite lens.
    Rutt are you talking of this one?? If so it's too expensive for me...

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=8881&start=1&OVRAW=Canon%2024-70%2F2.8L&OVKEY=canon%2024%2070%202.8l&OVMTC=standard
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    I'm narrowing down....

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

this would be good on my rebel right??? and... I love wide angle...I"m not sure.
    Comments please on both these lenses.. I can't go for the "expensive" ones yet... (unless someone has a perfect "used" one for sale?)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=284399&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

or 50mm F1.8 Mk II prime... I think I already know...talk to me one more time dear ones.
    Thanks
    Lynn ne_nau.gifmwink.gif

I think I may order it today...
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    I was looking at this one for me Lynn...but I've decided on the expensive one...oh well. Rutt spoiled me with the 200mm f/2.8 L. Now I'm a junkie.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I was looking at this one for me Lynn...but I've decided on the expensive one...oh well. Rutt spoiled me with the 200mm f/2.8 L. Now I'm a junkie.
    hmmmm...I don't think I'm in that league yet... maybe one day

:D
    this is an interesting link on the less expensive lens..

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    I guess noone else owns any Sigma Lenses. Lynn, I own two Sigma zoom's that I think are right in the ranges that you are looking for. The Sigma 15-30 f3.5-4.5 EX and Sigma 28-70 f2.8. The 15-30 is an awesome lens. Its a litte longer than you might expect but it takes some awesome shots. May be a little more expensive than your looking to spend at around $580 but it is the lens that I use the most by far. The 28-70 is a very versitile lens but it is my least favorite of the three Sigma lenses that i own. It runs about $330. I have heard incredible things about the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX though. The 28-70 has some CA problems wide open but have never heard this about the 24-70. It is also about $100 more though. If you would like to do some research on Sigam lenses and would like to see some shots borken down by the lens they were taken with check out this site.
    http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/lens_gallery
    All these lens tests were done with either Sgma SD9's or SD10's. Gives a good idea of the capabilities of most of the available Sigma lenses though.

Now if your looking for a longer zoom and are willing to splurge a litte I would have to recommend the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM. EX is Sigmas top lens line. The 70-200 is incredibly sharp with fast and very quiet focus. Plus all the zoom is internal so the lens does not change length when you zoom. The Pidgeon shots in my latest post in the landscape section called A Couplt Shots from Today were taken with this lens at f8. It is just as sharp at f2.8. Now I said splurge a little because this lens runs $800 new. I bought mine off ebay for $640.

Just wanted to give you a couple more options to confuse you some more :D . Good luck with your choice.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    "I guess noone else owns any Sigma Lenses. "

I do Mike, but I didn't want poor Lynn to break her arm wrasslin' with the Bigma rolleyes1.gif

"Now if your looking for a longer zoom and are willing to splurge a litte I would have to recommend the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM. EX is Sigmas top lens line. The 70-200 is incredibly sharp with fast and very quiet focus. Plus all the zoom is internal so the lens does not change length when you zoom. The Pidgeon shots in my latest post in the landscape section called A Couplt Shots from Today were taken with this lens at f8. It is just as sharp at f2.8. Now I said splurge a little because this lens runs $800 new. I bought mine off ebay for $640."

Yes, I agree. I have this one too and it's a super lens :-) Fast, fairly quiet, extremely sharp and very nice color and contrast. Problem is, it weighs more than 3 pounds. It's only about 3 oz's lighter than Canon's 70-200mm F2.8L IS. A bit on the heavy side for a walkaround, but a lightweight compared to the Bigma....lol. Picked up my 70-200mm new from Delta Intl, for like $670. Ordered on a Thurs evening, it was waiting at my door on Mon morn thumb.gif

I highly recommend that place for lens purchases. They have really good prices on Sigma lenses and a, well deserved, superior rating.

Lynn, you really can't go wrong with any of the lenses mentioned in this thread. I guess it all boils down to what focal length(s) you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm narrowing down....

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

this would be good on my rebel right??? and... I love wide angle...I"m not sure.
    Comments please on both these lenses.. I can't go for the "expensive" ones yet... (unless someone has a perfect "used" one for sale?)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=284399&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

or 50mm F1.8 Mk II prime... I think I already know...talk to me one more time dear ones.
    Thanks
    Lynn ne_nau.gifmwink.gif

I think you will find that 28mm is not very "wide" on your rebel. I have a 28-80mm sigma zoom. I use it all the time, but I am in the market for something widers, the 28 aint cutting it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 24, 2004
    Lynn,
    With the 1.6 mag factor of the 300D, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di is actually a 44.8mm to 120mm in 35 mm format, so no, it is not a wide angle - I called it a normal or mid range zoom and maybe it is a little longer than that but it is great for indoor candids as well as outdoor scenics. Like I said, ~80% of my images were shot with it.
    Fish actually PM'd me that he has a used one for sale yesterday. He replaced it with a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L - a lovely lens but larger, heavier and 2 or 3 times the price. It does focus faster and quieter than the Tamron. Nothing in life is free, remember? As for wider, you own the kit lens 18-55 don't you? The Tamron 28-75 focuses fairly close and takes reasonably nice near macro shots also.

If you prefer the wider version, the the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 Di LD aspherical lens is the ticket - B&H has it for $479.95 But it is not a constant f2.8 throughout its range.

If you want to shoot in near dark, the Canon 50mm f1.4 is the ticket , then.

Since I do not know your budget constraints, it is hard to know what else to suggest.
    ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm narrowing down....

Thanks
    Lynn ne_nau.gifmwink.gif

Lynn,

If that money hasn't burned a hole in your pocket yet why not let us know what the budget is?

Also include some of your thoughts about what you want the new lens to do. If your looking for wide angle, your not going to be happy with 28mm.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Sigma 18 mm -125 mm. Just wanted to muddy the water a little more. :D

Choosing a new lens has to be one of the hardest thing to do.

Good luck with your choice.

Sam
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    Steve,

Just curious, which lens were you referring to when you said Bigma? I have heard this over on the sigma forum on dpreview and I think it was used in reference to either the Sigma 500 or Sigma 800. Just curious.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    Steve,

Just curious, which lens were you referring to when you said Bigma? I have heard this over on the sigma forum on dpreview and I think it was used in reference to either the Sigma 500 or Sigma 800. Just curious.
    Mike,
    I was referring to the BIG sigMA, the 50-500mm F4-F6.3 lens. Which on a 1.6X camera equates to 80-800mm. But, it's over 4 pounds and tough to handhold, when zoomed :lift It's more of a tri/monopod sort of lens. Definitely not a walkaround lens...lol It's a decent alternative to the 100-400mm Canon. A little less expensive and an extra 100mm's of focal length. I really like it so far.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Lynnma,

Hhahahahah! This nearly made me spit my coffee out! It is soooo true! It started with the 50mm... then came the 100mm.. now I'm flying halfway round the globe to get the 15mm and 300mm... and nearly bankrupting myself in the process.

The zooms do have their place, especially if travelling, but ooooooh, once you've seen how lovely and sharp those shots come it.. you just droool...
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    Motorbike pictures
    Now if your looking for a longer zoom and are willing to splurge a litte I would have to recommend the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM. EX is Sigmas top lens line. The 70-200 is incredibly sharp with fast and very quiet focus. Plus all the zoom is internal so the lens does not change length when you zoom.

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions... I bought a canon 20d to take pictures of motorbike racing... I have been using an Olympus C-300 and this was the best result I could get

12538888-M.jpg

I want a zoom lens that can get good quality pictures of the riders. I don't want to spend a lot of money to start with and I also take scenery shots...

6835150-M.jpg

I don't know what type of lens I need to take reasonable quality pictures of these types. Thanks for your help.

Shay.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 10, 2004
    Lynn, did you end up buying something? I would be surprised if you hadn't pulled the trigger yet, but I thought I'd throw in another vote for the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Best (small) money spent I've spend on glass.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I thought I'd throw in another vote for the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Best (small) money spent I've spend on plastic.
    Fixed it for ya, doc. :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson