Options

Q: Pricing digital download.

flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
edited November 8, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello fellow smugmuggers,

Now that digital downloads are implemented in Smugmug, i'm wondering how to price these downloads.

For example for 'personal downloads':
- Would it be prudent to just price them accordingly to my regular print-sizes (e.g. take the price of a comparable print-size and deduct my costs for printing)?
- If so, what are comparable print-sizes? (download-size versus print-size)?
- Or is a totally different pricing scheme more effective?

For 'commercial downloads':
- Its seems wise not to set prices for these option, but instead negotiate a price with the buyer. Or am i mistaken?

Thanks!

Update:
These are the download sizes (besides the original):
Low-Res (1Mpix)’,
‘Hi-Res (4Mpix)’
Is the MPix number indicating JPEG quality or the estimated pixel-size (WidthxHeight)?

-- Anton Spaans.
I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
in two billion years,
all I can think is:
    "Will that be on a Monday?"
==========================
http://www.streetsofboston.com
http://blog.antonspaans.com

Comments

• Options
    CelsoDinizCelsoDiniz Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Same question here... I've been paid cents on stock web sites but...
    ... this is different... Any guidelines, standards, real life examples to be followed ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Get this book, it's critical to the pricing process :)

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1097113
  • Options
    videooppvideoopp Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    How are digital downloads now implemented? I have checked the news, and saw no mention of this. How do you get it set up?
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    How are digital downloads now implemented? I have checked the news, and saw no mention of this. How do you get it set up?
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2006/07/28/new-features-july-28-2006/
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    I've scanned the book and don't really see where it points to pricing of digital images compared to prints??

Anyways..and I know that everyone has differing thoughts on what is "fair", etc.

I thought our priority would be of selling prints. D/load discourages them to buy prints. D'l also allows them to go and print them on their own. However, I do see this as a big plus, as I'm sure everyone gets those requests for an emailed version, etc. But I just want to be fair to the customer and myself.

In my case, I'm fairly cheap and charge $2/$5/$8. I'd like to offer the digital download, but what is fair to the customer and myself? It's easy to take a 4mp photo and make nice 8x10's. Should we price the d'l (hi-res) in between the cost of a 5x7 and 8x10? or above? What about the low res? Would something between the 4x6 and 5x7 be a fair guideline?

As in. low res in my case would be roughly $3.50 and the hi res would be $6.50... I won't offer an original if its over 4mp.

I think I've rambled on enough and probably confused myself more too.. eesh.eek7.gif
  • Options
    gouldphotogouldphoto Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Digi-Downloads
    j-bo wrote:
    I've scanned the book and don't really see where it points to pricing of digital images compared to prints??

Anyways..and I know that everyone has differing thoughts on what is "fair", etc.

I thought our priority would be of selling prints. D/load discourages them to buy prints. D'l also allows them to go and print them on their own. However, I do see this as a big plus, as I'm sure everyone gets those requests for an emailed version, etc. But I just want to be fair to the customer and myself.

In my case, I'm fairly cheap and charge $2/$5/$8. I'd like to offer the digital download, but what is fair to the customer and myself? It's easy to take a 4mp photo and make nice 8x10's. Should we price the d'l (hi-res) in between the cost of a 5x7 and 8x10? or above? What about the low res? Would something between the 4x6 and 5x7 be a fair guideline?

As in. low res in my case would be roughly $3.50 and the hi res would be $6.50... I won't offer an original if its over 4mp.

I think I've rambled on enough and probably confused myself more too.. eesh.eek7.gif

I have had a few customers ask about digital sales. So I setup 1 gallery as a test for a customer that just asked the other day about getting files. I set the pricing as follows: 1mb $2 4mb $10 Orig $20

I think these prices are reasonable if not cheap. 1mb file = desktop wallpaper. 4mb = customer unlimited 8x10. Original = whatever size customer wants up to 24x36. So the file may reduce print sales, since most of my sales seem to be multiple sizes.

Will see if there is any interest before I open up more galleries.

Steve G
    http://www.gouldphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    gouldphoto wrote:
    I have had a few customers ask about digital sales. So I setup 1 gallery as a test for a customer that just asked the other day about getting files. I set the pricing as follows: 1mb $2 4mb $10 Orig $20

I think these prices are reasonable if not cheap. 1mb file = desktop wallpaper. 4mb = customer unlimited 8x10. Original = whatever size customer wants up to 24x36. So the file may reduce print sales, since most of my sales seem to be multiple sizes.

Will see if there is any interest before I open up more galleries.

Steve G
    http://www.gouldphoto.com

For 2x3 prints (most DSLRs)
    1MPixels (not MByte... if i am correct): about 800 x 1200 pixels
    4MPixels : about 1600 x 2400 pixels.
    Original: anything.. :)

If you use print-dpi of 300, that would be (closest largest regular sized pic):
    1MPixels: 4x6 print.
    4MPixels: 8x10/8x12 print.

But i found out that a print-dpi around 100 gives decent quality as well:
    1MPixels: 8x10/8x12 print.
    4MPixels: 16x24 print.

I also wonder:
    What JPEG quality is downloaded for 1MPixels and 4MPixels (quality number ranging from 1 through 12)?

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    [disclaimer: I haven't yet really looked into SM's new option]

In the past when I've been asked for digital image, I've charged them my 8x10 price and explained/verified that it's just for their use (digital frame, make a collage, etc) and that they're not printing a copy for everyone else on the team.
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Hmmmm...
    I guess I'm looking at this from a different perspective. If I make digital downloads available, they will be more expensive than a comparable print. Probably considerably more.

My reasoning: It's called buying the rights.
    1 - They can make unlimted prints.
    2 - They can use the image(s) in multiple places.
    3 - Each use of my image(s) is worth something to me.
    4 - To be hardcore, if they want multiple use of my image(s) they should pay a premium or invest in the equipment, learn how to take pictures, and go take their own.

You are not just selling a digital download. You are renting your equipment and an operator to them. It is worth something too.

Even film photographers charge extra for the negatives.

Am I wrong? Is that the wrong way to look at it? I'm willing to listen. ear.gif
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    I somewhat agree with you.

However, thinking on the reality side of things.

If one were to purchase a simple 4x6, scan it in, they also could print unlimited copies for cheap.

So. To me, pricing this is correctly is of some importance. Too high, and no extra sales to those that just don't want to buy a print. Too low, and you get taken advantage of on prints.

Uggh. I thought of making it a $5 for the 1mp and much higher (say $20) for the 4mp. I mean, getting to the "real" side of things again. Why would someone want a 4mp size if they WEREN'T going to make unlimited prints?
  • Options
    Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    JBurt wrote:
    I guess I'm looking at this from a different perspective. If I make digital downloads available, they will be more expensive than a comparable print. Probably considerably more.

4 - To be hardcore, if they want multiple use of my image(s) they should pay a premium or invest in the equipment, learn how to take pictures, and go take their own.

You are not just selling a digital download. You are renting your equipment and an operator to them. It is worth something too.

This is how I'm thinking too. But I'm still not sure what I would charge, and if I would make digital downloads available right away, or after a certain $ amount purchased in prints.???
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    This is how I'm thinking too. But I'm still not sure what I would charge, and if I would make digital downloads available right away, or after a certain $ amount purchased in prints.???
    and

So, i'm really curious what other peoples experiences are in pricing digital downloads.

I tried to Google for some info on this, but to no avail... ne_nau.gif

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Something other things to consider when selling the digital copy of the photo:

Are they going to use it to promote their business?

Are they going to use it in advertising to promote their friend's business? Their client's business?

Are they going to use it to print marketing materials?

Are they going to turn around and SELL it themselves?

Will you be adding your logo to the digital file and require that it remain intact?

Are they going to pay you $20 and turn around and make 30 prints for their closest friends instead of ordering 30 prints from you? (Yes, they can scan in the print, but unless they are very good and have a scanner, software and some skills of their own, it's not likely to be as nice as your prints - and it will require additional money and effort on their part to accomplish this).

I know that people will find a way to rip off our work no matter what types of protection we put in place, but I don't think we should make it any easier for them.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    My experience as a customer buying digital files
    and

So, i'm really curious what other peoples experiences are in pricing digital downloads.

I tried to Google for some info on this, but to no avail... ne_nau.gif

Here's my view from being a customer. I was skiing last winter. There were photographers taking pics of people going off one of the jumps with a sign posted about where you could go to see the photos. I noted the time of day (that's how you find your photos) and we went to look at the photos at the end of the day.

I found a pretty good photo of me catching some air. Since I'm the photographer in the family, I had plenty of good skiing pics of the rest of the family, but none of me. My first thought was to order an 8x10, scan it in and then I could add it to my digital album like the pics of the rest of the family. Ahh, but they had a price for buying the digital file that was about double the price of an 8x10. If it had been more than double, I probably wouldn't have bought the digital file. I didn't have that much planned for the image that I could justify that. But, at just double the price, the added flexibility and quality of getting the original file was enough to justify spending double (in this case, the file was priced at $25) and then I could make any prints I wanted.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    I'm still contemplating whether to offer them and on the amount to charge also. It is tempting and I'll probably give it a try.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's my view from being a customer. I was skiing last winter. There were photographers taking pics of people going off one of the jumps with a sign posted about where you could go to see the photos. I noted the time of day (that's how you find your photos) and we went to look at the photos at the end of the day.

I found a pretty good photo of me catching some air. Since I'm the photographer in the family, I had plenty of good skiing pics of the rest of the family, but none of me. My first thought was to order an 8x10, scan it in and then I could add it to my digital album like the pics of the rest of the family. Ahh, but they had a price for buying the digital file that was about double the price of an 8x10. If it had been more than double, I probably wouldn't have bought the digital file. I didn't have that much planned for the image that I could justify that. But, at just double the price, the added flexibility and quality of getting the original file was enough to justify spending double (in this case, the file was priced at $25) and then I could make any prints I wanted.

I see that as reasonable at the venue. Quik & Dirty burnit to a CD with the proper release signed. and awayyago...

I just don't see a lower than print price for a non-commercial use DD as worth it. Or a commercial DD for that matter.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    More thoughts .... I think it also depends on what type of photography you do, your focus.

If I do a wedding package and the customer has already spent x amount of dollars, I can see selling the downloads. Or if a portrait customer has spent x amount. But I can't see selling a portrait digital download, and I end up making beans because they go print all the photos themselves.

But for fine art prints its different because they may just want something for their laptop or website.????

We are in the digital age. The music and movie industry face the same thing. I download mp3's off limewire. You either embrace it or resist.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    JBurt wrote:
    I see that as reasonable at the venue. Quik & Dirty burnit to a CD with the proper release signed. and awayyago...

I just don't see a lower than print price for a non-commercial use DD as worth it. Or a commercial DD for that matter.

FYI, this was a "download from the internet", not a CD to take away. You could buy it there (fill out a form and give them your email address) and they would email you a link for the download. Or you could buy it later on the internet and they'd give you a link to download from then.

When comparing to the various options Smugmug offers, this was most like the full resolution, personal use version that Smugmug offers. They were 6 MegaPixel originals taken with a Nikon D100.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    Mostly, I'm trying to figure out the personal download options.

I won't offer the commercial download options. It depends on the company/institution that wants the pics. If they make a lot of money with it, if they are a big company, i may want to ask more than when a small mom-and-pops company wants to use the picture. They'd have to send me an e-mail.

I think i will price them as a print. But what size? Should i assume 300 dpi or 100 dpi for print-resolution. 300 dpi is a standard, but 100 dpi prints look pretty good too! :D

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    good points, all. My "same cost as an 8x10" was on a personally-negotiated basis, and I knew they were just for an individual's use. Using SM's service to purchase digital downloads certainly changes the landscape - you just don't know who's doing the purchasing or what they're going to do with it. I'm not going to use this service right away, but I'll be watching these forums to see how it all shakes out.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006

But i found out that a print-dpi around 100 gives decent quality as well:
    1MPixels: 8x10/8x12 print.
    4MPixels: 16x24 print.
    I think you answered your own question.

I still think convenience and expertise is worth something. You pay more for food at a 7-11, because it's convenient, than you will at Von's or Albertson's.
    But for fine art prints its different because they may just want something for their laptop or website.????
    I mostly agree with both of your posts but, I believe I still want more control over how my art prints are processed. I do a lot of custom shots of high end cars and the owners spend a lot for the prints. I do make a low-res screensaver of their car(s) and put it on a CD for them but, that is after they have spent hundreds of dollars with me. I will also print and give them 100 personalized courtesy cards with their car and info on them when the $'s spent starts getting up there. I'm building a demand for my highend work. I don't want to give it away or make it easily accessible for corruption.

Great thread and lots of food for thought.

Edit to add: Now I really need to get to work on my site. Don't let me back on for awhile.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    My print prices are

4x6 @ 2.50
    5x7 @ 3.50
    8x10 @ 9.99

I'm thinking I'll price the digital downloads at 2x the print size it can do, so.

1mp @ 5
    4mp @ 20
    Original @ 25

I know what your thinking "Who would buy multiple prints if they can just get the digital file?" My thinking is that this will entice people to spend MORE on the same picture! They already can get one 4x6 and go down to CVS and copy it multiple times. Those customers might think it more worthwhile to get the download instead!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 2, 2006
    How many times has this issue been raised before? YIKES!

You want to run a business, check out your competition.

www.gettyone.com

www.eyewire.com

Those are just two of the sites I frequent, where I purchase digital images regularly for advertising and marketing. I'll pay anywhere from $29 to $2000 for an image depending on the licensing rights I'm requesting. And I usually pay between $39 and $99 for royalty-free (unlimited use) images.

If you want to expand your business and cater to art directors and graphic artists in need of images you'd better get on the digital bandwagon.

If I'm on deadline and hunting for an image and I had to listen to anyone whining about their precious freakin' prints I'd hang up the phone.

Oh and BTW, scanning is NOT the same as a digital file. Only a clean, uncompressed, RAW or TIFF file will work for anyone prepping a piece for a print run such as a magazine ad or brochure.

It's not worth my time to buy a print, messenger it over to a file house to have it drum-scanned at a cost of $50 - $100, just to get the same quality an original digital file would have garnered.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    Well put, Angelo.
    Angelo wrote:
    You want to run a business, check out your competition.

It also helps to understand what your business is and who your expected customers are.

If Angelo is your potential customer, pay attention to him. (Heck, pay attention to him anyway, we can all learn something here.)

If you're just hoping to sell a few prints here and there to Aunt Sally, and you know darn well that she'll scan her little heart out, that's a whole different ballgame.

Personally, I'd love to be have Angelo as a customer and Getty as a competitor. :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 3, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Well put, Angelo.

It also helps to understand what your business is and who your expected customers are.

If Angelo is your potential customer, pay attention to him. (Heck, pay attention to him anyway, we can all learn something here.)

If you're just hoping to sell a few prints here and there to Aunt Sally, and you know darn well that she'll scan her little heart out, that's a whole different ballgame.

Personally, I'd love to be have Angelo as a customer and Getty as a competitor. :D

There's a very different lesson to be learned here as well and perhaps it's for the powers-that-be at SmugMug, who can also be looking at "their" competition.

Other pro sites designed for high volume sales of photography, stock or otherwise, combine the work of all associated photographers.

When I'm shopping an image I will visit a site like GettyOne, open my lightbox page and enter a keyword and get back hits for every image that matches, regardless of the photographer.

In the SmugMug world, everyone is competing with each other. If I'm shopping an image do you think I really have time to google my search to find everyone? Hell no!

Maybe SmugMug can create a way to superimpose a search engine that will return hits for images in the same way I've outlined.
  • Options
    wetsandswetsands Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    ^ great idea!
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    They could add that to their search field at smugmug.com, besides just the keywords, they could have where you cold check a box for print available for sale, and digital download available. That is a GREAT IDEA.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    DTMPhotosDTMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Another way to approach it...
    I took all my sales over the last 18 months and then determined the average value per sale (average of $7 profit per item with an average of 3 items per customer = $21 profit per customer). Based on that, I decided that if a customer wanted to "make their own prints", then I wanted to average the same profit per customer. For original size, I set my price to $25 (which gives me $21.25 after SM fee). Some of my customers (especially the teens) just want a pic for their phone/PDA/desktop. For those, I only sell 1mp versions for $10 (really not suitable for quality prints of size).

It helps to have a sales history to do this sort of analysis (I have a bit over 2700 items sold so that gives me a reasonable base).

Just a thought...

D.
  • Options
    karkarkarkar Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2006
    I'm with Burt. The requests I've received for digital files were for headshots and sales brochures. All will be reprinted thousands of times by my customers at no extra cost. I normally charge a 100% premium over my 8x10 size and provide hard copy, digital file and a limited release. This new feature of Smugmug really simplifies the whole process. It is just priceless. iloveyou.gif I just wish there was a way to customize the verbiage of the releases.headscratch.gif
    JBurt wrote:

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    How many times has this issue been raised before? YIKES!

Those are just two of the sites I frequent, where I purchase digital images regularly for advertising and marketing. I'll pay anywhere from $29 to $2000 for an image depending on the licensing rights I'm requesting. And I usually pay between $39 and $99 for royalty-free (unlimited use) images.

If you want to expand your business and cater to art directors and graphic artists in need of images you'd better get on the digital bandwagon.

If I'm on deadline and hunting for an image and I had to listen to anyone whining about their precious freakin' prints I'd hang up the phone.

Oh and BTW, scanning is NOT the same as a digital file. Only a clean, uncompressed, RAW or TIFF file will work for anyone prepping a piece for a print run such as a magazine ad or brochure.

It's not worth my time to buy a print, messenger it over to a file house to have it drum-scanned at a cost of $50 - $100, just to get the same quality an original digital file would have garnered.

Just my thoughts FWIW:

- this (above) about sums up my POV, ...
    ... which means.... that it would be better really - if SM is to take DD seriously, that (like the prints) some better rights differentiations are set

e.g. link

One of the reasons I scratch my head so hard over setting prices is that the rights are too all encompassing e.g. you set an image in personal at the price of a couple of 10 by 8s, great for friends and family but if the shots are likely to get made into prints for the whole school then thats not afair price is it?

With commercial there is a big difference if someone wants to make a one off poster to if someone wants to run an ad campaign ( I should be so lucky!)

As far as 'personal DD pricing goes my attitude is to price so encourage buying prints. It has to be worth their while to pay for DD if they are going to get a LOT of prints - otherwise - get the prints ;-)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..