Camera shops in Chicago

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited August 3, 2006 in Cameras
Hey all, I'm in Chicago for a couple months working, and I'm looking to buy a Canon 20D sometime soon. I'd like to avoid the hassle and wait of buying a camera online, so I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good local camera shop that might have a good price on a 20D? I'm sure there's gotta be a couple, and I figured someone here would know where... :):

Thanks in advance!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 29, 2006
    Helix Camera has stores all over the city but I'd go to the one downtown. The suburban stores are not nearly as useful as the main site in the city.

I bought my 30d from them (and a CoolPix 5000 years ago) and try to buy as much as possible there so long as they are close on price.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    I have ordered from Calumet Photo. They have a location not far from downtown and do offer a few events/clinics that might give you something to do while you are in town. I went to their Cherry Street several years ago when I went to a photo convention in Chicago. Their prices are decent, but in the past, I have been able to talk to the right person and get them to match B+H's pricing. I don't know if they still do that or if they would match a price if you come in person vs calling, but it might be worth a shot. :D
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    I agree with Calumet Photo. But you will really get it cheaper on-line. I have been to Helix and at lest the one in Yorktown has never had what I was looking for, but I haven't been to the other stores. If you ever want to go and shoot or need anything while you are here just send me a PM.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    I recommend Calumet, the main store on Cherry St.. Their price should be competative with any other brick and mortar store in town and they have a 14 day return policy. 9x outa 10 I buy from them rather than online because I don't have to worry about shipping a return back and forth if there's a problem. They are also very good folks. The big Helix on Racine Ave. is good, too. Don't even think about Central Camera unless you just want to look in the window at the classic cameras.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I agree with Calumet Photo. But you will really get it cheaper on-line. I have been to Helix and at lest the one in Yorktown has never had what I was looking for, but I haven't been to the other stores. If you ever want to go and shoot or need anything while you are here just send me a PM.

nod.gif Also remember free shipping from B&H to NAPP members too

Fred