Challenge 70: My First Challenge Entry

meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited July 30, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I wasn't planning on entering the challenge, but happened upon this oversized chessboard today and found that it portrayed the concept of "contrast" in several ways. I have a few other shots and I may have overdone the PP.

Feedback? (exif)

84691522-M.jpg

Mary
Brecksville, Ohio

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    The idea of an over-sized chessboard is great, and I love black and white. However, there isn't anything in the shot for perspective to indicate what size it is. It appears as a normal-size board to me. And as far as meeting the theme, what are you comparing it to for contrast? It appears to be on the floor...any chance of re-shooting? I would have to think about what you could add. Perhaps some feet, maybe a parent and a child (for more contrast). Or maybe someone's arm reaching into move a piece? Again, I'm not sure of the size here, so it is hard to come up with an idea.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 29, 2006
    I suppose the black and white motif could be considered contrast, but I agree with Susan that the shot needs something additional to give a sense of scale. If you can re-shoot, you might want to include one of the players. Or maybe put a nornal sized chess set down in the corner. ne_nau.gif

Regards,
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. It's so funny how having the experience of taking the picture influences perception.

Those pieces are each about three feet tall - and I purposely cropped out the picnic tables in the background because it was not very interesting to look at.

Since I was there - it seemed perfectly obvious that the foreground was made of big cement block pieces. With fresh eyes, I realize that it's not as apparent as I would have thought :D.

Thanks for your feedback. I was really fascinated with the contrast in "color" - black and white pieces on a black and white ground - nothing more clever than that!

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    I like the idea and the picture, but I agree with the others - something missing to make it really stand out.
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    its a great idea clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii