Options

The Backprinting Thread (Tips, and Questions)

2»

Comments

• Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    SamirD wrote:
    He's probably sleeping right now. It's pretty late for the eastern half of the US to be up. :uhoh
    :confused Sleeping... what's that? headscratch.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Of course I'm kidding. I wasn't expecting an answer right now (even days would be okay here)... but knowing Andy & the team they'll have an answer or update of some sorts asap. That's one of the many greatest blessings I love about smugmug is their awesome support. thumb.gif
    Speaking of sleeping..... guess I'm up later/earlier than the rest of the mid US... Night all. :snore
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    :confused Sleeping... what's that? headscratch.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Of course I'm kidding. I wasn't expecting an answer right now (even days would be okay here)... but knowing Andy & the team they'll have an answer or update of some sorts asap. That's one of the many greatest blessings I love about smugmug is their awesome support. thumb.gif
    Speaking of sleeping..... guess I'm up later/earlier than the rest of the mid US... Night all. :snore
    Stay tuned, I'll nail this down as fast as I can.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Stay tuned, I'll nail this down as fast as I can.
    Right now, there's a technical limitation on the transmitting and printing of the ©, and so that's why (c) is used. I'm still investigating options and possibilities.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    If I am logged in, have something specific set for backprinting (in this case, the comment), when I order, will it be used? Or do I have to be logged out and ordering as a customer?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    If I am logged in, have something specific set for backprinting (in this case, the comment), when I order, will it be used? Or do I have to be logged out and ordering as a customer?

Thanks!
    Hi Andi, you will get the backprinting, also when you are logged in thumb.gif
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Andi, you will get the backprinting, also when you are logged in thumb.gif

Coolio! That's the answer I wanted!!!
  • Options
    SteveLajoieSteveLajoie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Another request for "Year" please
    Another request for that.
    Another request for "Year" please
    EOS 30D | EOD 20D | S50 | EFS 18-55 | 28-300 L | 24-105 L | 50-500 APO/HSM | 580EX | Hoya UV | Manfroto Mono | Velbon UltrMax Tri | Don't forget the Tokina 28-210 I use as a paper weight
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Right now, there's a technical limitation on the transmitting and printing of the ©, and so that's why (c) is used. I'm still investigating options and possibilities.

Andy,

Is your investigation complete? Any updates?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Andy,

Is your investigation complete? Any updates?
    (c) only, sorry.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    (c) only, sorry.

Thanks. I still think this is a cool feature. And hey-- using opt-g or alt-0169 saves a couple of characters over typing (c), right? Or does it? I wasn't clear on that. headscratch.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    (c) only, sorry.
    Given that, I recommend that people use Copr. instead of (c). It's only two characters longer and it actually means something, as explained here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=368659&postcount=28
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    Is this still true? I entered an 0169 into my backprint string, and it was accepted, and displays on the control panel...
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    Is this still true? I entered an 0169 into my backprint string, and it was accepted, and displays on the control panel...
    © won't work, I'm sorry.
    (c) will work.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    © won't work, I'm sorry. (c) will work.

Alas, (C) is of no legal impact.

If we can't convince the backprinters to print the copyright symbol, then let's a) get a lab with a clue (with all due respect to EZ, that's moronic), or b) forbid it's entry in the UI, please?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    Alas, (C) is of no legal impact.

If we can't convince the backprinters to print the copyright symbol, then let's a) get a lab with a clue (with all due respect to EZ, that's moronic), or b) forbid it's entry in the UI, please?
    Hi Imaginc-
    Our lustre finish also has a copyright notice on it.

I'm afraid that it's not EZP's issue - and they are not moronic.

We'll keep after another solution though!
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Imaginc-
    Our lustre finish also has a copyright notice on it.

I'm afraid that it's not EZP's issue - and they are not moronic.

We'll keep after another solution though!

Errr... a few things. The Fuji Frontiers and many other lab printers don't support the circle-c copyright character '©'. It's a code hack at the lab to turn that character into the (c) that gets fed to the printers otherwise if just sent to a Frontier you get a bunch of garbage characters in the backprinting. I've run tests on this. It is not a lab issue. It's a printer issue.

I won't go into if you need to state the copyright or not. It matters if you feel YOU need to have it. '©' and (c) and Cpyrght and (C) and COPR all mean the same on a backprint.

I'll bet Andy gets lots and lots of requests for this. I used to get these requests all the time from my business customers at ClubPhoto (a now bankrupt contract printing company) because their customers wanted them. That's why I know about the Frontier backprinting. Cyras and old agfas have the ability to backprint. Backprinting was originally done as a way to identify prints with an order at a lab level. It's nice that SM offers this customization. Useful for lots of things other than ©. :D

BTW: most of the time, making a print or even a photobook is not equal to publishing, so the year + copyright isn't needed either.