Separate Support Forums

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited July 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Has having separate Support Forums for Pro, Power, and Standard users been considered? Discussion threads would pertain to the features available to that type of user account, and be less confusing to more restricted accounts.

I have a Power User account (at least paid for one...not sure I qualify as a power user, though), and all the Greek-To-Me support threads about stuff the pro-users find important (watermarks, buying digital downloads, etc) are confusing, intimidating, and not relevant or applicable to me.

I can still recall how overwhelming visits to Dgrin were (and still are, to a lesser degree) when I first signed on. A new Smugmugger with a Standard account would, I think, find it even more challenging.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Has having separate Support Forums for Pro, Power, and Standard users been considered? Discussion threads would pertain to the features available to that type of user account, and be less confusing to more restricted accounts.

I have a Power User account (at least paid for one...not sure I qualify as a power user, though), and all the Greek-To-Me support threads about stuff the pro-users find important (watermarks, buying digital downloads, etc) are confusing, intimidating, and not relevant or applicable to me.

I can still recall how overwhelming visits to Dgrin were (and still are, to a lesser degree) when I first signed on. A new Smugmugger with a Standard account would, I think, find it even more challenging.
    Hi Papa,

Thanks for posting. We appreciate your suggestion, but since so many topics transcend all levels of subscription, we'll probably leave things the way they are for now. We do, for example, have a separate customization forum, which is Power and Pro only.

I think you're noticing today, new threads about the new features, and they'll likely be active for a while as folks get used to them.

In the meantime, have you tried "Search>advanced search?" Also, site search with Google is *wonderful* - the way you do it is to put the following in the search box on Google:

site:www.dgrin.com keywords private

(for example) and you'll only be given search results from dgrin, that have those words in them :D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    A new Smugmugger with a Standard account would, I think, find it even more challenging.

We hope we're friendly and non-intimidating! TO ALL YOU NEW FOLKS: Please, delurk, and if you have a question - ANY question at all, just post it - we'll help :D Especially if you can't find something, make a post, ask where can I find.... and you'll have an answer in no time deal.gif
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Papa,

Thanks for posting. We appreciate your suggestion, but since so many topics transcend all levels of subscription, we'll probably leave things the way they are for now. We do, for example, have a separate customization forum, which is Power and Pro only.

I think you're noticing today, new threads about the new features, and they'll likely be active for a while as folks get used to them.

In the meantime, have you tried "Search>advanced search?" Also, site search with Google is *wonderful* - the way you do it is to put the following in the search box on Google:

site:www.dgrin.com keywords private

(for example) and you'll only be given search results from dgrin, that have those words in them :D

Andy:
    Gee...whatever made you think of that example?rolleyes1.gif (like I didn't know!)
    No..was not aware of "site search" tool, and must say it's pretty cool.thumb.gif

I see your point re crossover between user levels. Too many forums might be a bigger problem than too few.
    Maybe custom "post" icons could help...one clap.gif(not this one, of course) that says, in effect, "this post/thread pertains to a feature applicable only to pro user accounts", a second :): for power, and a third :uhoh for standard...or something like that. Just a thought.