Idea for new gallery style

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited July 30, 2006 in SmugMug Support
After spending a week with a trial Zenfolio account, I found some things I liked about their UI. This of course got me thinking about how Smugmug might improve on its UI a little bit. Here's what I'm thinking...
  • Start with the smugmug gallery style.
  • Make the thumbnail grid dynamically scale based on browser window width - maybe 3 columns minimum (a la smugmug small) to a max of 6 or 7. The number of gallery pages would also have to change dynamically, since the total number of thumbs could change.
  • Allow the displayed photo to scale dynamically with browser width, taking up the rest of the available space.
  • Prefetch adjacent images.
  • Get all the image switching to happen without moving the browser page.
  • Allow image switching with right/left arrows.
These, for me, are the ONLY five things Zenfolio has over SM. If I were to make a list of the things ZF would have to offer to match SM... Well, I'm not willing to type that long.

I know there's been a lot of thought given to not having too many gallery styles, which makes great sense. This "new and improved" smugmug gallery style could potentially take the place of both smugmug and smugmug small (and even the hinted-at smugmug XL). On the other hand, you could make it new and call it smugmug auto or some such.

So, that's all I've got. Take it as you will. :wink And keep up the good work. :thumb

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    wellman wrote:
    After spending a week with a trial Zenfolio account, I found some things I liked about their UI. This of course got me thinking about how Smugmug might improve on its UI a little bit. Here's what I'm thinking...
    • Start with the smugmug gallery style.
    • Make the thumbnail grid dynamically scale based on browser window width - maybe 3 columns minimum (a la smugmug small) to a max of 6 or 7. The number of gallery pages would also have to change dynamically, since the total number of thumbs could change.
    • Allow the displayed photo to scale dynamically with browser width, taking up the rest of the available space.
    • Prefetch adjacent images.
    • Get all the image switching to happen without moving the browser page.
    • Allow image switching with right/left arrows.
    These, for me, are the ONLY four things Zenfolio has over SM. If I were to make a list of the things ZF would have to offer to match SM... Well, I'm not willing to type that long.

I know there's been a lot of thought given to not having too many gallery styles, which makes great sense. This "new and improved" smugmug gallery style could potentially take the place of both smugmug and smugmug small (and even the hinted-at smugmug XL). On the other hand, you could make it new and call it smugmug auto or some such.

So, that's all I've got. Take it as you will. mwink.gif And keep up the good work. thumb.gif

Thanks Greg thumb.gif