Options

tic tic tic, slow uploads, tips/tricks?

j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited August 5, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'm having slow upload times. Although, maybe I just have a boatload of photo's and it just takes this long.

I'll do a line quality test once these ever finish uploading.

I've been uploading about 1.0 or so gigs? I'm not really sure though. (roughly 300 photo's ranging from 2.4 to 5.5MB each) I have had 4 seperate folders uploading through the "send to smugmug" uploader. I have tried the drag and drop before, but get the java error thingie after awhile.

I'm on the 16th hour. 2 folders have finally finished and 2 are still going. One is 85 of 130 and the other is 86 of 114.

I uploaded more than this a week or two ago and it also took a long time, but not this long! I think that took all of 6hrs+.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to uploading a lot, 2gb's or so? I would assume some event people take a lot more than me and upload a bunch more.

HELP please!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    j-bo wrote:
    I'm having slow upload times. Although, maybe I just have a boatload of photo's and it just takes this long.

I'll do a line quality test once these ever finish uploading.

I've been uploading about 1.0 or so gigs? I'm not really sure though. (roughly 300 photo's ranging from 2.4 to 5.5MB each) I have had 4 seperate folders uploading through the "send to smugmug" uploader. I have tried the drag and drop before, but get the java error thingie after awhile.

I'm on the 16th hour. 2 folders have finally finished and 2 are still going. One is 85 of 130 and the other is 86 of 114.

I uploaded more than this a week or two ago and it also took a long time, but not this long! I think that took all of 6hrs+.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to uploading a lot, 2gb's or so? I would assume some event people take a lot more than me and upload a bunch more.

HELP please!

Hi J-bo

Yeah. First, do that line quality: www.dslreports.com
    Second, you're uploading A LOT. That's cool :) For that many photos, and "set it and forget it" you might consider trying www.starexplorer.com it's a great tool for that sort of heavy lifting.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    I just found this thread. I regularly upload around 2gb+ a week. eek7.gif

To do this within the 6-8hrs in which I sleep, I had to increase my upload bandwidth. I did that by getting 3 cable modems capable of 512k upload and bound them together using a Linksys rv016 multi-wan router. The router can handle 7 different wan connections of different speeds and automatically load balances them.

As a side benefit, downloading anything with multiple objects (like the "all thumbs" style) takes no time at all since I get the benefit of 8mb x 3 = 24mb download speeds. thumb.gif

So now that you have the bandwidth, you need some software to take advantage of it. To be able to take advantage of the bandwidth, you need 3 or more independent streams to upload simultaneously.

I used to use StarExplorer and 3 different systems for this, but it became a real pain to work on 3 systems each time. Plus, it started taking forever (sometimes up to 30 minutes) for StarExplorer to be ready to send due the large number of albums I have.

So I changed over to Send to Smugmug, which worked great until yesterday. Send to DM allowed me to set up multiple uploads on one computer quickly and easily.

Using this system, I can upload about 632MB/hr or about 3.7GB in 6 hours. I haven't had a problem so far waking up before the upload finishes. clap.gif

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!