Options

SOLD: Off to Ebay Apple Quad G5, 4.5GB Ram, 500Gb HD, Applecare

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 10, 2006 in Flea Market
OK You Dgrinners get a chance at this before I go off to Ebay.

[imgl]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/85136351-L-0.jpg[/imgl]

Apple Quad G5, 2.5GHz
* 4.5Gb DDR2 Ram (4x1gb and 2x256mb)
* 500Gb 7200rpm S-ATA
* GeForce 6600 w/ 256mb VRAM
* Optical Drive - 16x SD DL (DVD-R/CD-RW)
* Latest version of OS X
* Apple Keyboard
* Apple Mighty Mouse
* AppleCare - 2+ years remaining on full Applecare warranty (until October of 2008)

This machine is REALLY FAST with Photoshop!

This machine is LIKE new, there has been no damage or abuse whatsoever. It's sat comfortably under my desk since last October. All factory papers, manuals, CDs, and packaging is included.

I will sell for $2500. Buyer pays insured UPS Ground shipping. Payment is by check or bank check. I will ship when funds clear. Buy with confidence from me, this machine is absolutely as described - calling it *mint* is an understatement! I have bought and sold many items here in the flea market, including my prior Apple Desktop.

It's back on Ebay (buy it now for $2600. LOWER PRICE FOR DGRINNERS now $2500, Save Me The Ebay Hassle :D but hurry :deal

Reason for sale: I've upgraded.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Nice!

BTW, Andy didn't post his speed results on this machine, but they're impressive.

And I hear that the machines are pretty hard to get new, even, that the demand outstrips the supply right now.

EDIT: Andy added the speed results to his original post. Before or after I posted this, I don't know. It doesn't matter, because the speed of this machine is that impressive.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    holy really fast computer batman!

i'm a pc guy, but if i had the cash i'd grab this in a heartbeat and start swinging both ways. mwink.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    This depresses me knowing that I am stuck with a 4-5 year old+ SLOW computer with 256 ram.:(:

I would buy this thing in a heartbeat if I had the money.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    This depresses me knowing that I am stuck with a 4-5 year old+ SLOW computer with 256 ram.:(:

I would buy this thing in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Upgrading the RAM is the cheapest and most effective way of increasing the speed on any machine. Buy more RAM. crucial.com
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK You Dgrinners get a chance at this before I go off to Ebay.
    ... and sign up for a replacement machine on Monday!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 31, 2006
    Is that machine maxed out as far as RAm Andy? I'm running a dual 1.4 G4 with 2gb and I'm not sure that box is worth moving into. If it can handle more RAM I might be interested.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Is that machine maxed out as far as RAm Andy? I'm running a dual 1.4 G4 with 2gb and I'm not sure that box is worth moving into. If it can handle more RAM I might be interested.

It'll take 16GB.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    truth wrote:

You can have up to 16gigs in this box. I've got 6 of 8 memory slots used up right now (2x256 and 4x1gb). You can easily yank the 2x256 out, and put in 4gigs more, or you can put in any combination of 2gb chipsets, aslo. Or, you can swap out all the ram and have 16gigs if you like :D
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    Damn, looking closer I'd need to upgrade the video card as well. Nice machine Andy...what the hell are you upgrading to?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Damn, looking closer I'd need to upgrade the video card as well. Nice machine Andy...what the hell are you upgrading to?

Why?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why?
    It would be a HD video editing station running dual 30" monitors.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited July 31, 2006
    truth wrote:
    NASA must be retiring one of their supercomputers?

jump.jpg

(See them purty red doors. Could be one of those new Canon "L" series supercomputers?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    truth wrote:
    It would be a HD video editing station running dual 30" monitors.

Well, that would be an added cost no matter what, no?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, that would be an added cost no matter what, no?

Sure, but the benefit of buying new vs used decreases with every change. Buying the card from Apple at the build is cheaper than buying Andy's and then replacing it. It's also less nebulous for tax reasons to buy new since this is a biz machine.
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Upgrading the RAM is the cheapest and most effective way of increasing the speed on any machine. Buy more RAM. crucial.com

I heard with regular 32 bit processors all you need is about 2-3gb of ram anything more is a waste. The exception is the 64bit processors that AMD make can handle more ram.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I heard with regular 32 bit processors all you need is about 2-3gb of ram anything more is a waste. The exception is the 64bit processors that AMD make can handle more ram.

1) Red Bull is running with 256MB, which is woefully insufficient.

2) The G5 is 64bit.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    (Snip)
    I will sell it for 85% of the cost, or $3600. Buyer pays insured UPS Ground shipping. Payment is by check or bank check. I will ship when funds clear. Buy with confidence from me, this machine is absolutely as described - calling it *mint* is an understatement! I have bought and sold many items here in the flea market, including my prior Apple Desktop.

(Snip)

Particularly because you are asking the buyer to pay the shipping, why not let them decided on carrier? In some areas of the country (including mine) UPS Ground is know for rough treatment of the packages sent via their service.

I am in no position to buy this; but couldn't resist seeing what Andy is selling now!
    Jane B.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I pulled out the ram in my computer to find out what kind it was. It has a sticker that says "DDR 266 256 mb". Went to crucial, found this. http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC2700

The 184-Pin DIMM looks like what I have. I do have a question though. Is it possible to use one 256 (like I already have) and then stick in say a 1 gig so I have 1280 mb total? Or do I have to keep it synchronized for lack of better term? Like 2 x 256mb and so on?
    -Steven

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Not sure, it probably depends on your computer.
    Red Bull wrote:
    I pulled out the ram in my computer to find out what kind it was. It has a sticker that says "DDR 266 256 mb". Went to crucial, found this. http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC2700

The 184-Pin DIMM looks like what I have. I do have a question though. Is it possible to use one 256 (like I already have) and then stick in say a 1 gig so I have 1280 mb total? Or do I have to keep it synchronized for lack of better term? Like 2 x 256mb and so on?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    I do have a question though. Is it possible to use one 256 (like I already have) and then stick in say a 1 gig so I have 1280 mb total? Or do I have to keep it synchronized for lack of better term? Like 2 x 256mb and so on?
    You do not usually have to keep it synchronized, but that can depend on the motherboard. You *will* lose speed if they are not synchronized. DDR works because it spreads the load between two chips.

If it's old, you also should make sure that your motherboard can support 1 Gig chips. It may or may not, and might require a BIOS upgrade.

Edit: Since you only have one 256 now, you're not currently gaining a DDR advantage. Adding 1 Gig would definitely outweigh any speed increase through DDR. But it would be better to get two matched 512s or 1 Gigs.
    Chris
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    wow, crucial is expensive...if you somewhat know what you're doing and know what ram to get...or just look at crucial and figure out what you need...it might be worth it to check out www.pricewatch.com

a 1gb stick at crucial is $176
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT12872Y335

at price watch, its only $68
    http://www.pricewatch.com/memory/363654-1.htm

make sure you check the reviews when you use price watch, but if you shop smart, you can save a lot of money.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    I checked on newegg and I found a 2x512mb package for $90. I think I will go ahead and order that to be on the safe side. (becuase I don't know if my motherboard will support a 1 gig stick). Here's the item. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141218

Reviews are good for the product and someone said (in a review) it is a good choice for older computers. I'll just ditch the 256 and use the two 512's.

P.S. - Sorry for the thread hijack.:uhoh
    -Steven

• Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Jane B. wrote:

Particularly because you are asking the buyer to pay the shipping, why not let them decided on carrier? In some areas of the country (including mine) UPS Ground is know for rough treatment of the packages sent via their service.

I am in no position to buy this; but couldn't resist seeing what Andy is selling now!
    Jane B.

wave.gif Hi Jane :D

I'll happily ship Fedex Ground, also. No worries deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Going to Ebay in 24 hours.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's sat comfortably under my desk since last October.
    lol3.gif It didn't even last a year lol3.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol3.gif It didn't even last a year lol3.gif

Yeah, but it did outlast 3 of his cameras :lol

I'm still wondering what he's upgrading to? A Cray? rolleyes1.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006

Yuk, yuk. You get to buy lunch on Sunday for that crack lol3.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006

We should play guess the specs on Andy's new Mac. I'm guessing the (as yet unreleased) Mac Pro, Dual Intel Xeon chip (aka Woodcrest) at 3.0 Ghz each, 16GB of RAM, and a iBrain direct human interface module. Keyboards are so last century Laughing.gifZ!!1!!!1!!!111
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Price lowered just prior to sending it out for auction tonight.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006