Problems Saving a "Quick Settings" in Gallery Customization...

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited July 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi there -

I'm following these steps to save a quick settings profile in gallery Customization:

Quick settings (in the box along the top): it always defaults to set options manually.
You can create your own templates that you can use each time you create a new gallery. Choose save settings below as ... from the pull-down menu in the gray box. Type in a name for your new template. Set your gallery options. Then click save.

But after I click "save", I go to a new gallery and hit "Bulk Settings" to apply the new saved settings to other galleries, but alas - the new profile I just saved isn't coming up as an option.

Please help. Thanks...
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Oakley wrote:

Please help. Thanks...

Are you clicking the save button on the right? What is your browser and system? Are you sure you are logged in as account owner and not guest? ear.gif
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Are you clicking the save button on the right? What is your browser and system? Are you sure you are logged in as account owner and not guest? ear.gif

Hey Andy - yeah, I'm logging is as the owner of the site. And I was clicking the save button on the right.

System is Windows XP - and I've tried it in FireFox and IE6 now.

Thanks for looking into it...
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
    edited July 31, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Hey Andy - yeah, I'm logging is as the owner of the site. And I was clicking the save button on the right.

System is Windows XP - and I've tried it in FireFox and IE6 now.

Thanks for looking into it...
    Working fine here, all browsers. Can you try clearing all your cache, temp files, logging out, closing browser and try again?
    edited July 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Working fine here, all browsers. Can you try clearing all your cache, temp files, logging out, closing browser and try again?

No dice, Andy.

I had a previously saved quick setting which I just deleted (with the thought that perhaps there's only room for one special saved setting). It deleted all right, but I still can't save a new setting...

ne_nau.gif
    edited August 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Hey Andy - I wanted to bring this up again, cause it's still not working. How can I get this fixed??? Has anyone else had this problem?

Please help. Thanks,
    edited August 20, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Hey Andy - I wanted to bring this up again, cause it's still not working. How can I get this fixed??? Has anyone else had this problem?

Please help. Thanks,
    Hm. It's working for me. Please list all the steps, exactly, that you are taking, and also the browser you are using.
    edited August 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hm. It's working for me. Please list all the steps, exactly, that you are taking, and also the browser you are using.
    1. I am starting with this gallery which is password protected.
    2. Then to "Customize Gallery"
    3. Then "Quick Settings" -->"save settings below as..."
    4. Giving it a name like "auto"
    5. Then I make sure all my settings are how I want them
    6. Then I hit "save" at the top of the page
    7. Nothing shows up as saved so I go to another gallery to see if I can apply the new saved setting and nothing shows up.
    I have also tried moving step 5 to just after step 2 --- same result. I am using IE6, but like I mentioned earlier, I have also tried with FireFox. I have tried clearing my cache --- and still nothing. And I can't think of any other problems I've had of this nature when browsing...

I can try it on a different computer at work tomorrow if you can't think of anything. It is very frustrating though as I would like to use the "bulk settings" feature on my plethora of galleries.

Thanks for looking into it Andy.
    edited August 20, 2006
    Oakley wrote:

I can try it on a different computer

Do that please, the feature is working properly for us on all browsers.
    edited August 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:

No problem. I let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Question --- what site are you using to check the feature? Mine, yours, or what?
    edited August 20, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Question --- what site are you using to check the feature? Mine, yours, or what?
    Yours, and three of mine.
    edited August 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yours, and three of mine.

hmmm...how odd.
    edited August 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Andy - just tried it on my work computer --- and no dice. I'm still not getting it to save...

ne_nau.gif

Bummer
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    How frustrating!
    Oakley wrote:
    Andy - just tried it on my work computer --- and no dice. I'm still not getting it to save...

ne_nau.gif

Bummer

I'm sorry this feature isn't working for you. Just to clarify, there should be no problem in creating more than one quick setting. This feature appears to be functioning to both me and Andy, but if it's buggy... we'd love to find out how so we can fix it!

Please try this:
    1) Go here:
    http://thepupil.smugmug.com/gallery/settings.mg?AlbumID=813631&ImageID=
    2)Toggle the "geography" option to "yes".
    3)Click on "Set Everything Manually" to open that dropdown menu. Can you see "annetest" as an option?
    4)Scroll down to "save settings below as..."
    5)Type in "test".
    6)Click "save"
    7) You should be taken back to your gallery. Go into customize gallery again and look for your new quick setting.

Thanks for your patience in helping us get this pinned down.

-Anne
    edited August 21, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I'm sorry this feature isn't working for you. Just to clarify, there should be no problem in creating more than one quick setting. This feature appears to be functioning to both me and Andy, but if it's buggy... we'd love to find out how so we can fix it!

Please try this:
    1) Go here:
    http://thepupil.smugmug.com/gallery/settings.mg?AlbumID=813631&ImageID=
    2)Toggle the "geography" option to "yes".
    3)Click on "Set Everything Manually" to open that dropdown menu. Can you see "annetest" as an option?
    4)Scroll down to "save settings below as..."
    5)Type in "test".
    6)Click "save"
    7) You should be taken back to your gallery. Go into customize gallery again and look for your new quick setting.

Thanks for your patience in helping us get this pinned down.

-Anne

Anne

OK, that worked in that public gallery.

But I tried the same thing in this gallery and it didn't work - http://thepupil.smugmug.com/gallery/settings.mg?AlbumID=1751307&ImageID=

Does it not work on password protected galleries???

Thanks,
    edited August 21, 2006
    Stand by...
    Oakley wrote:
    Anne

OK, that worked in that public gallery.

But I tried the same thing in this gallery and it didn't work - http://thepupil.smugmug.com/gallery/settings.mg?AlbumID=1751307&ImageID=

Does it not work on password protected galleries???

Thanks,

Whew! I'm glad you stuck to your guns on this one. It looks like a bug, but a very elusive one. I haven't heard anyone else come across it. I'll work on getting it pinned down. It's not as simple as password-protected or not, unfortunately. headscratch.gif

-Anne
    edited August 21, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Whew! I'm glad you stuck to your guns on this one. It looks like a bug, but a very elusive one. I haven't heard anyone else come across it. I'll work on getting it pinned down. It's not as simple as password-protected or not, unfortunately. headscratch.gif

-Anne

Cool - sounds like I done good. Do I get a treat??? Huh, do I do I???
    edited August 21, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Cool - sounds like I done good. Do I get a treat??? Huh, do I do I???

Ok here you go, it's summertime, so let's enjoy the best of summer!

Fresh tomato, basil, mozzarella
    89739094-L.jpg

Corn on the cob
    89739159-L.jpg

Beef tenderloin, and marinated shrimp
    89739276-L.jpg

Strawberry cheesecake
    89739328-L.jpg
    edited August 21, 2006
    Triumphant!
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    It's not as simple as password-protected or not, unfortunately. headscratch.gif

-Anne

This bug was a *cough* bugger to pin down... but it looks like having an apostrophe (') in either your gallery password or gallery password hint causes the quick setting feature to choke. I've reported it and we'll look into fixing it. clap.gif

Thanks for your patience!

-Anne
    edited August 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ok here you go, it's summertime, so let's enjoy the best of summer!

Fresh tomato, basil, mozzarella

Corn on the cob

Beef tenderloin, and marinated shrimp

Strawberry cheesecake

Great - now that I've licked my computer screen......shesh.....
    edited August 23, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    This bug was a *cough* bugger to pin down... but it looks like having an apostrophe (') in either your gallery password or gallery password hint causes the quick setting feature to choke. I've reported it and we'll look into fixing it. clap.gif

Thanks for your patience!

-Anne

Anne - do we have an update on this bug?

Thanks,
    edited August 23, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Anne - do we have an update on this bug?

Thanks,
    We've got quite a few bug fixes in the works and this one's on the list. I'm sorry I don't have a timeline for you. This one is relatively low-impact compared to some of the others, but we won't overlook it, I promise!

EDIT: If it needs to be said, in the meantime if you need to make a quick setting, you can make sure you don't have apostrophes in your password and password hint. :)

-Anne
    edited August 23, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:

EDIT: If it needs to be said, in the meantime if you need to make a quick setting, you can make sure you don't have apostrophes in your password and password hint. :)

-Anne

Do I understand that right? If I get rid of any apostrophes in my password and/or password hint, then quick settings will work just fine?

Well that's no problem at all!
    edited August 23, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Do I understand that right? If I get rid of any apostrophes in my password and/or password hint, then quick settings will work just fine?

Well that's no problem at all!

You got it! And that is why it isn't really a huge-impact bug. Still... we'll get it fixed.

-Anne
    edited August 23, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    You got it! And that is why it isn't really a huge-impact bug. Still... we'll get it fixed.

-Anne

OK, I've made the changes to my galleries using "auto1" and "true1" - and everything worked fine.

thanks Anne....
  • statsmanstatsman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2006
    Me too!
    Oakley wrote:
    No dice, Andy.

I had a previously saved quick setting which I just deleted (with the thought that perhaps there's only room for one special saved setting). It deleted all right, but I still can't save a new setting...

ne_nau.gif
    I've had precisely the same problem - that's why I just registered for DGrin. :)

I also submitted a help request, and am copying below my speculation.

Update: I see that I also had an apostrophe in the password hint. My bad. :(

David

________

So, it seems that if a user has no templates, creates a template,
    deletes it, and then attempts to set up a new template, they're unable
    to do so. I suspect the other accounts used for testing had already
    had multiple templates, and that somehow it wasn't possible to
    reproduce his (or my) settings.

Maybe there's something in the code regarding counting the number of
    templates that's buggy? (E.g. starts @ 0, then goes to 1, but then
    goes down to, say, -1, and is unable to go up to 1, because it
    increments to 0? I've done that. :) foo = foo - 1, but instead
    mistyped foo = 1). Just an idea.
  • jdhilljdhill Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    Hi. I'm new to SM (power user level) and I'm also having a problem with quick settings as follows:

I have a single quick setting named "default".
    I go to one of my test galleries and under the "set everything manually" setting, change the "ext. links" from yes to no.
    I select "save settings below as ..." and enter "defaut" and click on the "save" button to the right.
    So far so good.
    Then I go to bulk settings to apply this to all my test galleries.
    And, lo and behold, when look at my gallery my change has reverted to yes.
    Clicking on the "default" quick setting also shows the reversion, just as if the change were never really saved.

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks. Jeff Hill.
  • gilbertgilbert Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Grr...
    Okay...Can this be done?

Quick settings with all the options I want, and a new theme (chosen from list)...saved as a new name (appears they do not overwrite if you try to change setting or two and save with same name ?)...anyway, saves...but...

What am I missing about bulk settings?? Shouldn't I be able to go in and choose all the galleries I want to have these settings/new theme and then hit "apply" ??

It takes me back to the customize gallery screen and no changes there....and none in all the galleries I just checked in bulk settings.

What did I miss? Isn't that what the feature is for? Please tell me it's something simple...I have a dozen galleries I want to change to this other color theme...not one by one though :cry

BTW, the galleries I am trying to change have my custom theme (sitewide) chosen for the theme option.

Thanks.
    edited October 9, 2006
    gilbert wrote:

What am I missing about bulk settings??

http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage
    Note: Quick settings do not save gallery title, description, keywords, category, subcategory, or theme.

And you'll need to apply the new template you make, to each gallery you want to have these settings. OK? ear.gif
  • gilbertgilbert Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage

And you'll need to apply the new template you make, to each gallery you want to have these settings. OK? ear.gif

Thanks...Was defaulting to checking DGrin before SM help pages...oops!

You mean I have to go into the customize gallery to change those things that do not get changed by quick settings? Not sure what you mean by "template"...my new theme, or quick setting? I was using the bulk settings and choosing all the galleries that would need those settings...this should still work, right? I would just need to go in to change the theme etc (what's not changed with quick settings)...?
    edited July 7, 2007
    This apostrophy bug in the quick settings hasn't been fixed apparently. It's not a problem (pretty easy workaround)...but it certaintly hasn't gone away.