Enjoying my new 85mm f/1.8

John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited August 1, 2006 in People
Hello all,

Just thought I'd share some images with my brand new Nikon 85mm f/1.8 lens (the old threads in this forum were quite helpful). It's really a revelation for me to be able to work with natural light indoors! However, also challenging to work at 1.8 with the super-shallow DOF.

Here's some images of one of my favorite subjects - my 2-yr old daughter. Challenging subject (she thinks it's really funny to run straight at me whenever I point my camera at her), but I take the work very seriously - as a busy dad, I have no other portrait opportunities (and mom is slightly more approving of my habit if I collect some good shots of the kiddos).

Blowing bubbles - I'm finding I like the look of these shots better when I desaturate a bit.
85230894-M.jpg

Laying on the bed - window light only! :clap . For this one, I also desaturated slightly, then applied some softness (everywhere but her eyes) using a 30% overlay of a Gaussian-blurred copy (radius = 25).

84934161-M.jpg

And on the more abstract side :scratch :

84934545-M.jpg

Any comments welcome. BTW, so far I'm really liking the lens, sharp, fast AF, nice bokeh. But frustrating to get an in-focus shot at f/1.8.
John Desjarlais
macrophile.smugmug.com

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    The last one is precious. Well done.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 31, 2006
    Great shots. Amazing clarity and sharpness. I love the way you've used the dof. The reduces saturation gives them an angelic light, very pleasing. Eventually I'll have some "prime" glass to work with.
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    The last one is precious. Well done.
    15524779-Ti.gif I love this one!
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Beautifull shots, I like all three, great composition clap.gif ...
    I've got the same lens....one of my favorites...
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Both photos are spot on. I'm considering either a 50mm 1.4 or 80mm 1.8 later this year. Good to see some practical application.
  • James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    The 85mm IMO is a much better lens.
    Both photos are spot on. I'm considering either a 50mm 1.4 or 80mm 1.8 later this year. Good to see some practical application.
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Shame on me - I've kept my 85 1.8 in my bag in favor of my 50 1.8. I think you've given me a reason to use my 85mm lens. Beautiful captures - I love the last two. I also agree with the desat.
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    I love love love this one!!!!! I love the focus on the eyelashes. Blow this up and hang it on the wall!!!!!!
    Mandi

84934545-M.jpg
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. As for 85mm vs. 50mm, I'd still like to get a 50mm f/1.8 (price really isn't too bad). For kids, however, I really like the extra working distance of the 85. The less aware they are of me the better shots I get.
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com