A cute little SCORPION

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited August 4, 2006 in Holy Macro
I thought I'd try and finally get some quail shots (right, Harry?) but they were shinneying deeper and deeper in the catclaw for the night. So on the way back to my house, I turned over a piece of plywood, and found this scorpion, complete with venom dripping from its tail.

And yes, I just had to "live on the edge" and get within an inch or so with the ol' camera lens!
Steve-o

Comments

• ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    This little fella was maybe three inches long.

Forehead wrote:
    I thought I'd try and finally get some quail shots (right, Harry?) but they were shinneying deeper and deeper in the catclaw for the night. So on the way back to my house, I turned over a piece of plywood, and found this scorpion, complete with venom dripping from its tail.

And yes, I just had to "live on the edge" and get within an inch or so with the ol' camera lens!
    Steve-o
    edited July 31, 2006
    Here's one more of a dozen shots I took, REALLLLLL close-like.

You know, I was actually going to walk away from that scorpion but, after the last shot, it charged at me.

CHARGED at me, mind you!

Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. But I think I should start wearing my steel-toed hiking boots again, and stop trapesing around in my sandals!
    Forehead wrote:
    This little fella was maybe three inches long.
    Steve-o
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Excellent shots! There are some black scorpions at my mother in law's farm -about a centimeter and a half long. I may go looking for some this week.

So, where is the dragonfly? Sorry -had to be done rolleyes1.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Forehead wrote:

We have Scorpions here too, I personally have not seen them around my house, but a friend from work who lives not far from me gets them quite a bit.

They look great..... I love how they hold their sting above their head if they feel threatened, and their pinches on the ready to tackle anything that gets in their way......and best of all they glow under Ultra Violet lights :D
    Nice series Forehead thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 1, 2006
    I was born in San Antonio, Lackland AFB, and when I was really small, my folks moved back to Illinois.

A couple of years later, I was watching TV with my folks and a scorpion showed on the screen. I asked my folks if they were all yellow colored? My folks were a little taken back because it was a B&W TV, and the only way I could have known about the color of the scorpion is if I had seen one in Texas, of which they were never aware. It could have even been in the house?

These images give me a chill.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    so, how close did you get (there is an advantage to zoom lensesmwink.gif ) I like the 1st two best and the way you can see the individual "hairs" on its tail.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited August 1, 2006
    Hi Froggy!

You know that I escaped from Fontana last week for good. Me and bronchitis don't get along, you know.

My lens was within two inches of that critter, and I had my eye on that TAIL the whole time :uhoh but, sometimes you just gotta get right in there and push the envelope. With the rapidly-fading light level, using zoom would have required flash, but sometimes I want to be "all natural"--even if there's that menacing TAIL to contemplate nervously!
    Frog Lady wrote:
    so, how close did you get (there is an advantage to zoom lensesmwink.gif ) I like the 1st two best and the way you can see the individual "hairs" on its tail.

C.
    Steve-o
    edited August 1, 2006
    Well, with the heat wave gripping most of the nation, I thought you might appreciate a "chill" here and there to take the edge off the burn :D
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I was born in San Antonio, Lackland AFB, and when I was really small, my folks moved back to Illinois.

A couple of years later, I was watching TV with my folks and a scorpion showed on the screen. I asked my folks if they were all yellow colored? My folks were a little taken back because it was a B&W TV, and the only way I could have known about the color of the scorpion is if I had seen one in Texas, of which they were never aware. It could have even been in the house?

These images give me a chill.

ziggy53
    Steve-o
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    You are brave great photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 1, 2006
    I bet those Eastern Water Dragons you have over there just LOVE to munch on them!
    Skippy wrote:
    We have Scorpions here too, I personally have not seen them around my house, but a friend from work who lives not far from me gets them quite a bit.

They look great..... I love how they hold their sting above their head if they feel threatened, and their pinches on the ready to tackle anything that gets in their way......and best of all they glow under Ultra Violet lights :D
    Nice series Forehead thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Steve-o
    edited August 1, 2006
    Not nearly as brave as people who ride CAMELS, what with the way they spit on you all the time.

Not that YOU have any camels, I'm sure :D
    You are brave great photos
    Steve-o
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Hi Froggy!

You know that I escaped from Fontana last week for good. Me and bronchitis don't get along, you know.

My lens was within two inches of that critter, and I had my eye on that TAIL the whole time :uhoh but, sometimes you just gotta get right in there and push the envelope. With the rapidly-fading light level, using zoom would have required flash, but sometimes I want to be "all natural"--even if there's that menacing TAIL to contemplate nervously!

hopefully you got out before the worst of the heat and ended up some place a bit cooler (AZ mtns?). Sorry the smog didn't agree w/ you; but you're lucky you weren't here 20-25 yrs ago when we actually had stage 3 smog alerts!

lookin' forwards to see what else you can find in cottonwood to capture in "electrons".

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Not nearly as brave as people who ride CAMELS, what with the way they spit on you all the time.

Not that YOU have any camels, I'm sure :D

headscratch.gif beleive it or not i am totaly confused i do have seen camal been slughtered but i didn't got you :uhoh
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 2, 2006
    Some people ride camels, you know. They've even been tried here in the US but, for some reason (maybe they SPIT on people too much and offended Yankee sensibilities!), they didn't work out that well.
    headscratch.gif beleive it or not i am totaly confused i do have seen camal been slughtered but i didn't got you :uhoh
    Steve-o
  • CindaCinda Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:uhoh
    "Photography teaches that how well you see has nothing to do with how well you see." Anonymous
    edited August 3, 2006
    Now, now. Count your blessings.

At least you don't have to KISS it to see if it becomes a handsome prince! naughty.gif
    Cinda wrote:
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:uhoh
    Steve-o
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    You know a nice 22oz framing hammer will solve that little problem you have there. eek7.gif
    edited August 3, 2006
    Sorry. The only thing I have on hand is a 10-pound sledge hammer.

But that would work too, RIGHT???yelrotflmao.gif
    fire1035 wrote:
    You know a nice 22oz framing hammer will solve that little problem you have there. eek7.gif
    Steve-o
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Sorry. The only thing I have on hand is a 10-pound sledge hammer.

But that would work too, RIGHT???yelrotflmao.gif

That's even better. You don't have to get as close. :deadhorse (sorry they don't have a guy beating a scorpion to death)
  • Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    There are more than 30 species of scorpions found in Arizona, but only three of them are considered common. Yours is a Striped Tail Scorpion (Vaejovis spinigerus), the most common, and not considered very dangerous. The Striped Tail Scorpion’s sting only produces localized pain and swelling, comparable to a bee sting. The one that you have to be very careful of, is the Bark Scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda), which happens to be the smallest of the three common scorpions found in Arizona. The Bark Scorpion is straw colored and seldom grows to more than an inch. The third common scorpion is the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) which gets to about 6 inches, but is seldom seen as it burrows and only comes out at night.

All the same those are some excellent pictures. Even knowing they are not dangerous, I don’t think I would want to get too close with a camera. I have handled them, allowing them to crawl from one hand to the other, it was a requirement back in the Fifties and early Sixties in Arizona schools. They got passed from student to student (hand to hand) and I never heard of anyone getting stung.
    edited August 4, 2006
    Thank you for the entomology lesson!

Now, what in the heck are you doin' in Lemon Grove? Not many scorpions there :confused
    Brooks P wrote:
    There are more than 30 species of scorpions found in Arizona, but only three of them are considered common. Yours is a Striped Tail Scorpion (Vaejovis spinigerus), the most common, and not considered very dangerous. The Striped Tail Scorpion’s sting only produces localized pain and swelling, comparable to a bee sting. The one that you have to be very careful of, is the Bark Scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda), which happens to be the smallest of the three common scorpions found in Arizona. The Bark Scorpion is straw colored and seldom grows to more than an inch. The third common scorpion is the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) which gets to about 6 inches, but is seldom seen as it burrows and only comes out at night.

All the same those are some excellent pictures. Even knowing they are not dangerous, I don’t think I would want to get too close with a camera. I have handled them, allowing them to crawl from one hand to the other, it was a requirement back in the Fifties and early Sixties in Arizona schools. They got passed from student to student (hand to hand) and I never heard of anyone getting stung.
    Steve-o
  • Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Thank you for the entomology lesson!

Now, what in the heck are you doin' in Lemon Grove? Not many scorpions there :confused
    Dreaming about the day I can move out of California, and back to Arizona.

Not many at all. I have lived here for thirty-years and I have never seen a single one. Lots of Black Widow spiders but no scorpions.