*Almost* perfect navigation with the Lightbox hack!

DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I know there is already a post about this on the bug thread, but I wanted to make this into a thread to emphasize how important this issue is and to spread awareness of BigWebGuy's hack. I thought I was pretty active on these forums and I just found out about this hack yesterday! You guys need to check this out!

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32708

With this hack implemented, I am now browsing in the All Thumbs view. This allows me to see all of the pictures in the gallery at the same time and see a big version at the click of a button.

Look at this gallery (hack applied) both in All Thumbs and in Smugmug view to see what I mean.

http://www.frelowphotos.com/gallery/1211619/

The only thing missing from this hack to make it PERFECT is having to scroll back down after clicking on a picture. It seems that the Lightbox needs to be fixed so it doesn't scroll back to the top of the page after each viewing.

This would be the best navigation I've ever seen (beating Zenfolio IMO) if this is fixed. What do you guys think?

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    example gallery?
    Someone care to post a link to this hack in action? I checked out BWG's link but it wasn't an all thumbs view and was kind of slow to open up larger images. It is just a test gallery, though. I'd love to see another example.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Someone care to post a link to this hack in action? I checked out BWG's link but it wasn't an all thumbs view and was kind of slow to open up larger images. It is just a test gallery, though. I'd love to see another example.

I gave you a test example :)

You can change between All Thumbs and Smugmug at will in this gallery.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    whoops...
    Looked right over that link for some reason. Where's the tired emicon?
    eek7.gif?
    But now I can see exactly what you're talking about. Pretty cool. I read these forums regularly too and overlooked this hack-- so thanks for pointing it out. I can see how it would be useful.:D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    I know there is already a post about this on the bug thread, but I wanted to make this into a thread to emphasize how important this issue is and to spread awareness of BigWebGuy's hack. I thought I was pretty active on these forums and I just found out about this hack yesterday! You guys need to check this out!

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32708

With this hack implemented, I am now browsing in the All Thumbs view. This allows me to see all of the pictures in the gallery at the same time and see a big version at the click of a button.

Look at this gallery (hack applied) both in All Thumbs and in Smugmug view to see what I mean.

The only thing missing from this hack to make it PERFECT is having to scroll back down after clicking on a picture. It seems that the Lightbox needs to be fixed so it doesn't scroll back to the top of the page after each viewing.

This would be the best navigation I've ever seen (beating Zenfolio IMO) if this is fixed. What do you guys think?

Great hack. I'm going to consider that one especially for my show galleries.

Some of those galleries have a hundred + images. A place marker to go back to would be nice.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
    edited August 2, 2006
    Any word on when/if this will be fixed? This is a bug, not a new feature, you should be able to talk about this ;)
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Any word on when/if this will be fixed? This is a bug, not a new feature, you should be able to talk about this ;)

Sorry, what's a bug? This thread is talking about a user-created javascript hack for enhancing lightBox.

How is this our bug?

Don
    edited August 3, 2006
    Taken from BigWebGuy's post in the bug thread...

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=294226&postcount=339

not really a bug, but kinda annoying

lightbox doesnt remember scroll position. if you're in a gallery and scroll down then activate lightbox, when you close lightbox the page is scrolled all the way to the top instead of where you were previously.

p.s. JT if you fix this i'll change my avatar :D

Weither its a bug or not, it doens't seem like its something that BigWebGuy can implement, because Lightbox doesn't do it. If you guys can set Lightbox to remember where on the page you are, this will be the BEST.NAVIGATION.EVER!!! ;)
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    I'd also like to see the basic Lightbox behaviour (hack or no hack) changed, specifically, for the focus to be on the last image viewed and not the first.

I use smugmug view and might start lightbox on pg 1, then find a caption I want to change for an image on pg 3. I exit lightbox and have to advance the smugmug view until I find the last image I viewed.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 3, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    I'd also like to see the basic Lightbox behaviour (hack or no hack) changed, specifically, for the focus to be on the last image viewed and not the first.

I use smugmug view and might start lightbox on pg 1, then find a caption I want to change for an image on pg 3. I exit lightbox and have to advance the smugmug view until I find the last image I viewed.
    ahh, but wouldnt it be nice if the tools were available in lightbox? just sayin thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    ahh, but wouldnt it be nice if the tools were available in lightbox? just sayin thumb.gif

That was my point indeed. smugmug's implementation of lightbox should leave the focus on the last image viewed, regardless of where it is at in the gallery.
  • chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    is it possible to perform this hack with a standard account? I can't seem to find anywhere to enter javascript.
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing what this hack does when I follow the link. It appears to act just like any other gallery. What am I missing?

Thanks!
  • chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    I believe it enables lightbox from "all thumbs" view...
    edited August 18, 2006
    afarber wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing what this hack does when I follow the link. It appears to act just like any other gallery. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sorry about that! I didn't realize people were still reading this thread :uhoh

Unfortunately I had to disable the lightbox hack, because it doesn't let you view videos if in Traditional viewing mode. I use this mode for my video galleries because it shows the caption under the thumbnail which is crucial. :cry