Help! Weird issue with friends 20d

JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Cameras
A friend of mine bought a used 20d. Takes great pictures, but there's 3 weird issues with the camera..

1) When you take pictures with it, sometimes the shots remaining starts to blink. If you shut the camera off it still blinks the shots remaining. My 20d doesn't show the remaining shots when off.

2) It has some weird USB behaviour. A Mac will not recognize it at all. Windows XP, 2000 and NT will see a USB device, but identifies it as a "DCP device". Yes, I tried it in PTP, and Normal mode. What's even more interesting is what happens under Linux: when I hook my own camera up to my Linux box, I see the following in /var/log/messages:
usb 1-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-3: Product: Canon Digital Camera
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
But my friends shows:
usb 1-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-3: Product: DCP CONNECT
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
and his is not mounted, whereas mine gets mounted as a removable drive.

3) Finally, on one occasion it displayed "BUSY" when you try to use it. It seems re-seating the CF card fixed that.

It's got firmware 2.0.3 (as does mine), is using a 2G Sandisk Ultra II card, and is serial #062031####

Any ideas?

Jamie

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Best advice I can give is buy a card reader - forget connecting the camera directly to the PC. They're cheap and much more convenient to use.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Is the access light on the back blinking also? Sometimes the buffer takes a bit to clear.

As for downloading, just get a card reader. Canon is notorious for being a PITA to direct connect. If you insist on doing it direct from the camera, I know there's a setting to transfer protocol with two choices (WIA, and something else). If it's set wrong it can cause issues. Check the manual for specifics (I never mess with it, so cannot help other than opinting you to that possibility).
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Is the access light on the back blinking also? Sometimes the buffer takes a bit to clear.

As for downloading, just get a card reader. Canon is notorious for being a PITA to direct connect. If you insist on doing it direct from the camera, I know there's a setting to transfer protocol with two choices (WIA, and something else). If it's set wrong it can cause issues. Check the manual for specifics (I never mess with it, so cannot help other than opinting you to that possibility).

I spent forever trying to get my D60 to direct connect and haven't tried any of the newer bodies.

The solution I like is those integrated card reader and floppy drives from mitsumi which are $30 bux and you get everyone one 1 usb cable. It gives me an A drive for the floppy, and a G and H drives for the card readers. Pretty slick.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    While I agree about using the card reader, he just bought the camera used, and we're trying to figure out why his camera won't do this... I mean, it should work... mine does!

Jamie
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Check to be sure that the camera is not in 'printer connection " mode. On the camera, go to the second tools menu (T2). Choose Communication, then make sure it is on "PC Connection".
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    To me, it sounds like the issue is with his memory card, not with the camera itself. Have you tried using a different memory card, see if you can run a Scan Disk utility on the old one. May just have some corrupt sectors.
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...
    cmason wrote:
    Check to be sure that the camera is not in 'printer connection " mode. On the camera, go to the second tools menu (T2). Choose Communication, then make sure it is on "PC Connection".
    Hmm.. that sounds like a possibility.. I will check that out.. thanks!

Jamie
    edited August 4, 2006
    To me, it sounds like the issue is with his memory card, not with the camera itself. Have you tried using a different memory card, see if you can run a Scan Disk utility on the old one. May just have some corrupt sectors.

But the camera reports itself as a different device, and the card works fine in the reader. I am thinking it's the printer issue cmason suggested.. I hope so anyway!

jamie
    edited August 4, 2006
    cmason wrote:

Neither my friends camera, nor mine has a "Tools menu" that I can find, let alone a second one! I have "Shooting Menu" (red), "Playback Menu" (blue), and "Setup Menu" (yellow). How do I get to the tools menu on a 20d?

Jamie
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    JamieC wrote:
    Neither my friends camera, nor mine has a "Tools menu" that I can find, let alone a second one! I have "Shooting Menu" (red), "Playback Menu" (blue), and "Setup Menu" (yellow). How do I get to the tools menu on a 20d?

Jamie

Hit the menu button, scroll down to the yellow area. There will be a tab that says "Communication". Make sure it says "Normal". Let me know what happens.
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...
    Hit the menu button, scroll down to the yellow area. There will be a tab that says "Communication". Make sure it says "Normal". Let me know what happens.

I have already tried it in normal and PTP mode.. same thing. Turns out that the camera is in "service mode". This is some mode that the Canon service center put it in, and neglected to put it back! Now all we have to do is find a place that will put it back for him. He will be in Boston Labour Day weekend.. any good shops there that might be able to help?

Jamie
    edited August 25, 2006
    JamieC wrote:
    I have already tried it in normal and PTP mode.. same thing. Turns out that the camera is in "service mode". This is some mode that the Canon service center put it in, and neglected to put it back! Now all we have to do is find a place that will put it back for him. He will be in Boston Labour Day weekend.. any good shops there that might be able to help?

Jamie
    Any recommendations for Boston area repair centers? Anyone?

jamie
  • BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I don't know anything about Canons; but, is the firmware up to date?
    Just a thought.
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
    edited August 25, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    I don't know anything about Canons; but, is the firmware up to date?
    Just a thought.
    Kat
    Yep. Like I said, it's stuck in service mode... trying to find someone who can get it out of that mode in Boston, before sending it back to Canon.

jamie