Options

Mt. St. Helens Climb (15 pics)

SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited September 29, 2006 in Journeys
7/25/2006 9:26:53 PM

Climbing crew of seven arrived at the Mt. St. Helens climbers bivouac from Bremerton Washington at about 8:30 pm, a four hour drive (including a stop for a fast dinner). Setup tents right away. Stars were bright along with a few shooting stars. What a difference it makes to get away from city lights!

85288638-L.jpg

7/26/2006 5:33:50 AM

Early rise. Alarm went off at 3:35 am and was at the trail head by 4:05 am. First two miles are through the forest to the tree line. The boulder field is right above the tree line and while there are many ways to ascend, the poles you can in the mid-field are the guideposts.

85288767-L.jpg

7/26/2006 6:17:16 AM

After a few hours Steve’s new boots and the angle of ascent have caused some warming on the heels…nothing some mole skin won’t take care of.

85288931-L.jpg

7/26/2006 6:39:46 AM

As we are heading up after two plus hours of hiking a look back reveals hiking bivouac, Mt. Hood, and in the far distance to the right is Mt. Jefferson.

85289022-L.jpg

7/26/2006 6:44:20 AM

The boulder field varies in size and provides a good scramble. Some boulders are not stable and are as large as Volkswagens so secure footing is key.

85289070-L.jpg

7/26/2006 7:14:53 AM

Traveled along a large snow field more than half way up the mountain. Steam was coming out most of the time and can be seen to the upper right. A little dark, but there are three members of our team in front the large rocks to the left of center, one has a white shirt.

85289258-L.jpg

7/26/2006 7:34:32 AM

If it were not for the snow, it looks like something from the moon. At this point, the incline increases, rocks get smaller, and there is more ash, making it even more difficult to climb.

85289384-L.jpg

7/26/2006 8:38:13 AM

Several hundred yards from the top and for some (like me!) this was a tough final push. The rim is where hikers are sitting at the top on the crater’s edge.

85289588-L.jpg

7/26/2006 9:20:14 AM

Hikers sitting on the edge of the volcano crater rim after a good hike. The seriated edge of the rim trails to the left towards the north under the watch eye Mt. Adams.

85289629-L.jpg

7/26/2006 10:14:10 AM

Looking northward towards Mt. Rainier, the direction of the blast and line of destruction is still evident. Logs are still floating on refashioned Spirit Lake and move at mass as the wind blows through the valley below. In the foreground, the lava dome with smoke/steam is growing at a rate of an equivalent dump truck load of rock every 15 seconds. It was hard to get a good perspective of how large the dome actually is. I could not convince anyone from our team to go down to the dome to provide a human scale perspective. I heard a recent news report (7-30-06) that stated the height of the dome to be as high as the Empire State Building and growing.

Constant rockslides could be heard echoing and occasionally seen rolling off the dome. We did not experience any particular smells, but when the winds would gust blowing fine ash was irritating.

85289738-L.jpg

7/26/2006 10:37:35 AM

Four of the team preparing to head back down. It was pretty windy while we were on top. Good goggles helped. Some put on gaiters, some did not. I did not put on gaiters but had higher hiking boots that worked ok in the soft ash and rocks.

85289811-L.jpg

7/26/2006 10:50:18 AM

Several of us attempted to glissade on the snow and speed our way down the mountain. I am sure the glissading would have been better in the spring. The snow was a little slushy and dirty from the ash being blown around the mountain side. Warning, when glissading in shorts they act as scopes to funnel all snow in the path directly up your shorts, but after about twenty seconds you cannot feel anything from the waist down.

85289911-L.jpg

7/26/2006 11:09:12 AM

As we head down the mountain the temperature increased. It was time to practice some clothing management and shed. Sun screen and bug spray was applied as we got close to the tree line and biting flies were beginning to feast.

85290027-L.jpg

7/26/2006 12:51:01 PM

A view back up the mountain at the tree line shows the boulder fields.

85290180-L.jpg

7/26/2006 1:43:40 PM

Nine hours and forty minutes later most of us were back at camp. I consumed all but a few sips of a three liter hydration pack. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful (in its own way) climb. Good weather, good friends, good to see the mighty hand of God at work.

85290273-L.jpg
Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Excellent story & shots...tks thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Great journey, Steve!
    Thank you for taking us with you! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    I read every word and thoroughly enjoyed every photograph. Very excellent photo story.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Holy smokes! That is one intense view. I'm awed by your journey . Thanks for letting us all share your experience !85289738-L.jpg
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 2, 2006
    For those that don't know, Mt. St. Helens was recently re-opened to these
    climbs after a two year closure.

Very nice shots and thanks for taking us along on a beautiful climb!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    what an adventure! almost feel i was there!
    thanks for sharing and beautiful shots!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Thanks for posting those shots, it's great to get a close up view of what's going on there now. I love the shot of the new cone forming, excellent!
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks all for sharing in the journey! Did I mention that ash was in every orifice of human and machine...including my camera! We had to clean everything.[/FONT]
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 2, 2006
    Very cool...I had some friends that recently did a long mountin bike loop around the the Mt and the pics were amazing as well. Very surreal landscape.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited August 2, 2006
    7/26/2006 10:50:18 AM

Several of us attempted to glissade on the snow and speed our way down the mountain. I am sure the glissading would have been better in the spring. The snow was a little slushy and dirty from the ash being blown around the mountain side. Warning, when glissading in shorts they act as scopes to funnel all snow in the path directly up your shorts, but after about twenty seconds you cannot feel anything from the waist down.

"Ladies and gentleman, take my advice:
    Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice."
    You forgot the "pull down your pants" part.

Great story and great images.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Outstanding story!

I had the privilege of flying over the area in a helo a couple of times, always wanted to do the hike. What great weather, clear skies!

And your crater shot is really good.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 3, 2006
    :jawdrop bowdown.gif not much else to say.. this would be a dream come true..... love the pix..

little something for all.. that has worked for me breaking in new cleets for football and not getting blisters (college days) .. is to wear socks inside out.....?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Enjoyed it, Thanks
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 4, 2006
    As an avid hiker I have really enjoyed your story and photos. Good work!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Thanks for sharing!

-Dante
    -Troy (Dante)
    edited August 4, 2006
    Incredible journey. I've only been to St. Helens once, and it's one of the most awe-inspiring places (to me) on the planet. To look into the crater at the growing dome must have been incredible. Great shots and story!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Thanks everyone! I actually will be taking a youth group to the north side of Helens in a few weeks . . . we will see what comes of that.
    Steve

Ansel Adams
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Awesome shots and the story that went with them.

Now if only I would have had a camera and knowledge with me the day the Mt St Helens errupted. I was camping upwind when she blew. Long time ago and we were lucky the wind didn't change direction.

Moved away before I got to see her up close like you did after. Thanks so much for sharing the adventure with us.

I miss seeing Mt Rainer. I didn't see Hood and Adams as much from our house but occasionally when traveling, camping, etc in parts of the state.

I do miss the majestic mountains of Washington State, but not the rain.

Now you should share your next trip on the ferry in the San Juan Islands with the dgrin folks. All my shots are from either 1996 or 2001 before I went digital and haven't found much time to scan negatives lately. Plus I just have a few, not really a day story like you so nicely did.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Very nice.
  • Options
    mccafmccaf Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    That was an awesome documentary. I have been there 2 times but never climbed. I really enjoyed the image looking N from the crater. Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Awesome journey thanks
    Two photos stand out for me the Mt.Hood photo and the Mt. Rainier both great.

But like they say at the old music house here "it's all good"

Fred
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    Thank you very much for sharing the climb with us! I especially liked the shot of the lava dome, Spirit Lake, and Rainier.