Options

Paris at night

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited February 4, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mssr Werner must have much better shots but I liked Paris at night and I hope it shows. Of course romance helps... I was visiting a young lady that I had spent some days with in Japan. She had been accepted to the Sorbonne for her doctorate in art history so it seemed a nice excuse to visit Paris.

paris99dec022_s.jpg

ISO Speed: 200
Aperture: f3.5
Shutter: 0.3s
Focal Length (mm): 28
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    Nice shot. No I Don't make night shots, No patience
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    camera shake

Nice shot...I need advice Charles. So far I've been taking daylight outside snow shots (practising) and I want to take some indoor shots of say dancers in the studio etc. I notice on your Paris shot shutter speed is 3seconds. Obviously you must have used a tripod or something. My question (and beginner dilemma) is, how do I take indoor shots without using the built in flash (only one I have) and NOT use a tripod. If I go with tv priority I don't have a clue what speed to start, (film speed) 100? or if I go with AV priority shutter speed is always so slow so I have camera shake... Oh dear, I'm getting confused. Too much to learn too quick maybe. Any help would be appreciated. AND, when ever I use my 300mm lens with no tripod, (sometimes with one) I get a blurr... as shown with my Woodpecker attachment.

Lynn
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Nice shot...I need advice Charles. So far I've been taking daylight outside snow shots (practising) and I want to take some indoor shots of say dancers in the studio etc. I notice on your Paris shot shutter speed is 3seconds.
    0.3 secs actually
    lynnma wrote:
    Obviously you must have used a tripod or something. My question (and beginner dilemma) is, how do I take indoor shots without using the built in flash (only one I have) and NOT use a tripod.
    Actually I almost never use a tripod, although I should. I brace the camera against light poles, railings, put it on top of parked cars, sometimes just hold my breath. My 100-400 has an image stabilizer and that is a big help when I am using those focal lengths. The moon at http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/moorea_moon_cropped.jpg was handheld at 1/60 at 400mm with the IS but with nothing to lean on or brace against. The normal rule-of-thumb for camera shake (with no IS) is to shoot at the inverse of the focal length. So if you are using a 300mm lens you would need a shutter speed of 1/300th. A 28mm lens would be fine with 1/30th. If you have IS then cut those to 1/2 or with practice to 1/4th. So then a 300mm with IS would be good to 1/75th after some practice.

lynnma wrote:
    If I go with tv priority I don't have a clue what speed to start, (film speed) 100? or if I go with AV priority shutter speed is always so slow so I have camera shake... Oh dear, I'm getting confused. Too much to learn too quick maybe. Any help would be appreciated. AND, when ever I use my 300mm lens with no tripod, (sometimes with one) I get a blurr... as shown with my Woodpecker attachment.

Lynn
    The other thing is to use fast lenses and high ISO's. The shot at http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/turkishdancer02_s.jpg was with an ISO of 500 and a shutter speed of 1/90th but that was only possible because the lens was an f1.2 85mm

So... set the ISO as high as you can and set the shutter speed to the inverse of the focal length and you will solve your shake problem. Of course that won't solve the problem of the dancer's motion blurring. That really needs a 1/250th or faster. (see her hair)

Hope this helps.

#Note: I only put the links for the 2 shots since I have already displayed them in other threads.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    help
    cmr164 wrote:
    0.3 secs actually

Actually I almost never use a tripod, although I should. I brace the camera against light poles, railings, put it on top of parked cars, sometimes just hold my breath. My 100-400 has an image stabilizer and that is a big help when I am using those focal lenghts. The moon at http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/moorea_moon_cropped.jpg was handheld at 1/60 at 400mm with the IS but with nothing to lean on or brace against. The normal rule-of-thumb for camera shake (with no IS) is to shoot at the inverse of the focal lenght. So if you are using a 300mm lens you would need a shutter speed of 1/300th. A 28mm lens would be fine with 1/30th. If you have IS then cut those to 1/2 or with practice to 1/4th. So then a 300mm with IS would be good to 1/75th after some practice.

The other thing is to use fast lenses and high ISO's. The shot at http://www.iisc.com/dgrin/turkishdancer02_s.jpg was with and ISO of 500 and a shutter speed of 1/90th but that was only possible because the lens was an f1.2 85mm

So... set the ISO as high as you can and set the shutter speed to the inverse of the focal length and you will solve your shake problem. Of course that won't solve the problem of the dancer's motion blurring. That really needs a 1/250th or faster. (see her hair)

Hope this helps.

#Note: I only put the links for the 2 shots since I have alread displayed them in other threads.
    Yes it does help... a lot. Thanks so much. I shall start experimenting right away.
    Lynn