Multi-ethnic family skin tones?

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited August 3, 2006 in Finishing School
What to do with a situation like this? For starters I unfortunately over-exposed by half a stop, and added half a stop of flash (still finding my way in different lighting situations). Then to top it off I've got a dark skinned baby; her mother-a little lighter; the grandparents-one with a very red face, the other with a light mask around her eyes and forehead from sunglasses; and a pale-faced uncle. Oy vay! 85597740-M.jpg

Comments

• JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    I wish I had an answer for you... I had a similar situation when shooting a play rehearsal... except the "contrast" was even higher in my case! Here's a bump in hopes someone else has some advice.

jamie
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    One thing that may help for a nice portrait is to have the family coordinate outfits. Perhaps putting each member of the family in a similar colored shirt will serve to contrast the difference in their skin tones by providing a consistent color to bounce of off.

In terms of actual white-balance, etc. I don't think there is an easy solution. It may be tricky, but perhaps aiming your flash-head more towards the darker skin tones can give you the right lighting, or even consider a b/w photo so contrasts can be sharper?
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...