Small Town Little League

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited August 11, 2006 in Sports
My son made the Junior All-Stars this year (he's 9) so I took tons of photos of the games. I was pretty happy with this one; I'd be interested to hear your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

85608276-L.jpg

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    My son made the Junior All-Stars this year (he's 9) so I took tons of photos of the games. I was pretty happy with this one; I'd be interested to hear your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

84050195-L.jpg

oops - I don't think you want our opinions of the dreaded red xne_nau.gif
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Doh! I'll fix it, hang on...:D

{does smugmug scramble}

OK, is that better?
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Is your son the pitcher (and hopefully on the home team:D )? I like shots like that where you see the ball coming from pitcher - but might suggest next time you try to stand on the other side of the batter so it looks more like he's going to throw a strike (and not behind the battermwink.gif ) There are also some tricks you could use in photoshop to help make it pop a bit better (make the whites whiter, for example)

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    I like it. I agree moving over would help. The batter tends to draw my eye away, I do like seeing the scoreboard . However....I always get yelled at about the background not being blurred enough. ne_nau.gif sooo, I would suggest that also.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Thanks for the comments guys.thumb.gif I shot it from this side because there are buildings on the left side that wouldn't have made a good background. I know it looks a bit different from here; I usually try to get more directly behind home plate but they had a large backdrop tied up there.

I could have blurred the background more but I wanted the scoreboard and the flag to be in focus - I was more going for the feel of a small town little league game than making the pitcher stand out by himself.

I actually just converted the raw file without doing any photoshop, I should go back and mess with it a bit - you are suggesting to maybe brighten it? This was the championship game and I wanted to post all the photos on my website quickly so I did little post work.

My son is not in this photo. Yes, we are the home team (although we were on the other team's field - you flip a coin for home/visitor). We ended up losing a heartbreaker 10-9 but the kids played great and we are very proud of them!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    comments
    Well I like the concept and the results for the most part. A couple suggestions though:

The shot looks underexposed by 2/3 to full stop. The pitcher's face is a little too dark and the colors are a little dull - if you adjust the levels you'll get more pop from the colors.

For me, a tighter crop would work much better. I can understand if you want to keep the scoreboard in the frame but the flag doesn't add anything - the shot is about the pitcher and batter so keep the emphasis on them - maybe crop from the left side of the scoreboard over - which will also bring the bottom up above the knees of the batter. You've chosen to focus on the pitcher so I think he needs to fill more of the frame for this shot to really be better. But that's just my opinion - not saying it's the only way to do things. Just another way to look at it and something else to contemplate.