Options

20d ISO

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited November 26, 2004 in Cameras
Im still trying to figure out how to max the iso.. I have only 1 times used it at 1600 but I read some were it can hit 3200? how do i reach this?
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    On the 10d (I assume the 20d will be pretty much the same) you have to go into custom functions on the menu and turn on ........I can't remember the phrase............ I think its something like ......erm.........something expansion :D

someone help me out here !
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    Consequently, I didn't hesitate to use ISO 1600, and even "H", which is ISO 3200 – set via a custom function, when needed.
    Got that from Luminous Landscape. Does it help?
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    I will try it... I have been in the setting but maybe over looked it.
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    Im still trying to figure out how to max the iso.. I have only 1 times used it at 1600 but I read some were it can hit 3200? how do i reach this?
    On the 10D go to Menu, ISO Expansion, make it On. Now you'll have an ISO setting of H which is 3200.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    I was looking at the Cannon 20D today wtih the 18-55 kit lens. Nice camera, light and fluffy. I also like the 28 - 200 lens. This would be a major investment and I do not want to make a mistake, so any advice is welcome.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    that is the kit I got.. $100.00 for a lense I will take that any day. I got it from wolf because they offer a insurance on it and if you get the package the lens as well. I have had a few great shoots and love my camera.. I just wish i didn't have to work so i can shoot more. I don't recumend getting a micro drive unless you have a warrenty with or on it. I for the 1st time the other day used the 1600 iso because I forgot my try pod but I do a lot of shooting in 200 or 100.,... very rare that I hit or use the 400 iso. the cam i really wanted is the mark2 but am very happy with this one.
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    custom function 8, set iso expansion to on.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    I was looking at the Cannon 20D today wtih the 18-55 kit lens. Nice camera, light and fluffy. I also like the 28 - 200 lens. This would be a major investment and I do not want to make a mistake, so any advice is welcome.
    I went down to my local camera store last weekend when they had the Cannon factory people there. I put that damn
    20D in my hands, and proceeded to fiddle with it. The really sad part of this is now I just have to have one!!!

The features that really stood out for me just holding the camera, was the fast turn on, almost instantanious, and the blazingly fast LCD photo display with histogram. The Rebel is very slow with this. The controls / wheel seem to be a real upgrade as well.

The additional megapixels won't hurt ether.

If this is within your budget, I would say go for it. I can't believe you would be disapointed.

Andy will be able to provide a more detailed report based on experience.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    thank you andy and....
    Thank you any... After playing with it I found it... wish I read your post first. I put the book that came with it in a very safe spot... so safe that I can no longer find it. :(ne_nau.gif I see there are a few other things I turned on hope by just there titles I turned on the right ones.. I have the pdf book now.. but not as easy to flip thru the pages as a real book.

Andy on your 20D did you set the WB by take a picture of a white sheet of papper like they said in the book? Was wondering if that actually really help or not.
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 25, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Sandy,
    3 words of advice "Go Buy It" rolleyes1.gif

You will not regret it. If you are looking to take your photography to another level and want a full featured body to help you do this, the 20D is a great choice. Even the $100 18-55mm kit lens takes awesome pics. Of course, better lenses (read more expensive lenses) will give you even better results. With the kit lens, the 20D is even lighter than my 828. I dunno about "light and fluffy" though....lol It's definitely built very well. Don't let the "20D problem" posts scare you. While there are some issues, or defective cameras, out there. The overwhelming majority of 20D owners are ecstatic clap.gif I know I am iloveyou.gif

This is my first Dslr and I am having a blast with it. For the first couple of weeks, I was stuck with only the kit lens. Well, other then when Andy visited and let me use his L glass mwink.gif I have posted some of my first snaps, many taken with the kit lens, here.

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/20d

The 1st 4 images, in this gallery, are unedited, full sized originals using the kit lens.

Good luck with your decision,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    If you get a microdrive, consider not removing it often. If possible (and it is in my F828) use the camera to computer USB cable. Basically the microdrive is a Hard Drive and more sensitive to abuse than a CF. You won't have problems if you are always careful but to avoid mishandling. I have heard of some who carelessly killed there md. One point to continue, the md had 32 pins to connect/damage while the USB plug has far fewer and is more rugged. Just my opinion.
    Mel
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    even better:
    Set your ISO to 3200, underexpose a full stop and shoot :D that got me this result: (20D, 70-200 f/4 L, 0.65 stop pushed in post-processing so ISO 4800 is an estimation)
    36624244.jpg
    Enjoy that 20D!!!!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl