Your opinion please...

FocalPlaneFocalPlane Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 3, 2006 in Cameras
Hi....
I was hoping some of the more experienced users here could take a look at the following image and give me their technical opinion on something. If you zoom in on the boy's arm and hand what do you see? Is this caused by a lens defect, CMOS noise, Other? I would most appreciate your opinions and comments on this. Here are some of the image parameters:

SS 1/60th
FS: f3.2
ISO: 400
FL: 200mm
Flash: Fired
Metering: Pattern

Here's the link to the image
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/view/29295/IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Well, I presume that you're referring to the right arm/hand, that is out of focus? That is specifically because your DOF is so shallow @ f3.2 and is referred to as bokeh. The smaller your aperture, the wider your DOF.

Other than what I've said here... I see no other issues with the shot. Someone who is more discerning may point out other things.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 3, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, I presume that you're referring to the right arm/hand, that is out of focus? That is specifically because your DOF is so shallow @ f3.2 and is referred to as bokeh. The smaller your aperture, the wider your DOF.

Other than what I've said here... I see no other issues with the shot. Someone who is more discerning may point out other things.

15524779-Ti.gif Seymore nailed it!

Now pay him $100,000 USD and welcome to Digital Grin. :D (Just trying to help you out Seymore.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FocalPlaneFocalPlane Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2006
    Clarification
    Hi Seymour...
    Thanks for your feedback. It wasn't so much the bokeh I was refering to as the quality of the image in that particular area. Its degraded when compared to the brighter areas of the image, and I'm trying to determine the reason why? Thanks again.

Mark
    Seymore wrote:

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 3, 2006
    FocalPlane wrote:
    Hi Seymour...
    Thanks for your feedback. It wasn't so much the bokeh I was refering to as the quality of the image in that particular area. Its degraded when compared to the brighter areas of the image, and I'm trying to determine the reason why? Thanks again.

Mark

FP,
    There's no degradation that I can see. What I see is what you've already been told. Your "in focus" area on this shot looks to be about 8 inches or less. Everything outside that narrow window (in front and behind) will be out of focus. As the right and left arm areas are.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Most of the image appears underexposed to me, and particularly the boy's right arm. The degradation that I see is noise, which I normally see in my (many) underexposed shots. Using fill light seemed to make the problem a bit less noticeable -- maybe a pass thru Noise Ninja or Neat Image would help.
    FocalPlane wrote:
    Hi Seymour...

Mark
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    What was your ISO, FocalPlane?

The entire shot has noise, you just notice it more in the out of focus bits.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

from the OP:
    SS 1/60th
    FS: f3.2
    ISO: 400
    FL: 200mm
    Flash: Fired
    Metering: Pattern
  • FocalPlaneFocalPlane Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2006
    Hi Sid...
    Thanks for your feedback. The image was shot at 400 ISO

Mark

wxwax wrote: