BW Conversion of my daughter Hannah

rbsmithrbsmith Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited August 7, 2006 in People
What is your opinion of this BW conversion of my daughter Hannah.
85808907-L.jpg

Comments

• John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Beautiful girl, interesting pose. I like the conversion a lot - nice tones and interesting contrast. But the background is kinda busy with the keyboard, etc. I'd explore a few crops to see if you can reduce the background distractions.
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif with all the above save the comment about the contrast. IMO, the contrast is a touch too high - it appears to me that some detail is getting lost in the darker tones. But, if that's what you were going for - great job.
  • rbsmithrbsmith Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Thanks for the comments. I don't really know what I'm going for. BW conversion is new to me. I am going to work with it some more this weekend.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I agree that the black and white contrast is a little overdone, but sometimes that is the goal. To me, it just seems a harsh treatment on someone so young. Pretty daughter! :D
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I Love your B&W conversion. I don't mind the deep blacks, in fact I love them. That might just be my personal taste coming from the world of film and silver gelatin paper but I think you did a great job. Though I too, would see what it looks like with the piano cropped out. The only other composition aspect I would suggest maybe some negative space in the direction she is looking rather than behind her.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    I Love your B&W conversion. I don't mind the deep blacks, in fact I love them. That might just be my personal taste coming from the world of film and silver gelatin paper but I think you did a great job. Though I too, would see what it looks like with the piano cropped out. The only other composition aspect I would suggest maybe some negative space in the direction she is looking rather than behind her.
    I couldn't agree more. The conversion is very nice and I agree about cropping the piano and more space on the left. Right now the piano draws my attention, being the brightest part of the image but then I find her face and look to see what she is looking at and that leads me out of the frame.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    Nice Conversion.... I agree about posibly cropping out the pianoclap.gif
  • Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    Please don't touch this photo.

The keys of the piano are in B&W and give a great reference point for the rest of the conversion. The pose is introspective and moody. No cropping required.

I really like it just the way it is.
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    oo i love the contrast in this photo! don't listen to the rest of 'em! lol . the backround is a little distracting i suppose, but you've got a good model to work with so show us some more!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • rbsmithrbsmith Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I really like the shot and so does mom. But thats the great thing about digital. I can easily have several versons of the same shot. I will try some of the suggestions. Thanks again.
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    [Please don't touch this photo.

The keys of the piano are in B&W and give a great reference point for the rest of the conversion. The pose is introspective and moody. No cropping required.

I really like it just the way it is.]

15524779-Ti.gif
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    I also thing no cropping is required, the conversion is great and the piano works great with the mood, nice job !
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.