My favorite subjects

John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited August 4, 2006 in People
A few new ones of my daughter and son. Taken with my new 85mm f/1.8 at 1.8.

85871342-L.jpg

85871180-L.jpg

in my faces gallery:
http://macrophile.smugmug.com/gallery/1022723

Any comments welcome.
John Desjarlais
macrophile.smugmug.com

Comments

• Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I like the natural poses in both pictures. The images are a touch soft for a lens that is acclaimed for sharpness. Mind you ,probably for kids, that just fits the bill.

I like shooting my kids too but usually it is due to them doing some sport or other performance. Rarely I photograph them just like that. I won't mention my wife who hates being photographed with passion.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I like both images. The first is just superb. The B&W conversion I think could not be any better. All kinds of tonality in it!

The appearant softness is due, I believe, to a focus issue. I think you have focused on the near shoulder in each case. That shoulder is tack sharp!
  • John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Thanks, guys. Good points on the softness. These kids move so fast I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about the shoulder focus. This was also at f/1.8 so not much room for error.
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Very cute shots and I like your conversion especially in the first shot. You are right about kids "moving". That wonderful shallow DOF leaves very little room for error! You'll have fun with this lens though!
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Nice shots. You've captured some wonderful expressions. I love the first one.