Canon 30D AI Servo AF function

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited August 8, 2006 in Cameras
Anyone used this yet? I am photographing a bicycling event this weekend an I think it is going to be a helpful feature.

Doug

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 4, 2006
    It works well. Just be sure to know what AF zone you're set to and frame accordingly.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    truth wrote:
    It works well. Just be sure to know what AF zone you're set to and frame accordingly.

With the 20D the AI Servo serves me well! The 20D allows you to select any of the 9 sensors, and as long as you keep the sensor over your subject you'll have success. Or, it allows you to activate all 9 sensors, and you start by focusing on your subject with the center sensor, and as long as you are shooting, or holding the shutter release halfway down, the lens will track your subject, even if it wanders off the center sensor, and on to another.

I'm sure the 30D should do the same. Maybe Truth knows for sure.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    With the 20D the AI Servo serves me well! The 20D allows you to select any of the 9 sensors, and as long as you keep the sensor over your subject you'll have success. Or, it allows you to activate all 9 sensors, and you start by focusing on your subject with the center sensor, and as long as you are shooting, or holding the shutter release halfway down, the lens will track your subject, even if it wanders off the center sensor, and on to another.

Very cool! Can't wait to try it out. Should be useful with oncoming riders.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 4, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

It does. But depending on how tight the shot is or if there are multiple moving tagrets the af can be tricked and track tagrets other than the one you want. I found this out shooting my finacees triathalon a week or so after I got the 30D. Not a big deal if you know to look out for it.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

Jeffro.

Great tip. You have already told this somewhere but this time you did it very plane and simple.

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    dugmar wrote:
    Very cool! Can't wait to try it out. Should be useful with oncoming riders.

I've never used it for oncoming objects but I've heard it's not as accurate as side to side movement.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I've never used it for oncoming objects but I've heard it's not as accurate as side to side movement.

Eric

It does this just fine too, but it puts more demands on the focusing speed of your lens.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    How about an example of AI servo with the 20D?

86166298-L.jpg86166456-L.jpg86166621-L.jpg86166782-L.jpg86166979-L.jpg86167087-L.jpg86167252-L.jpg86167392-L.jpg86167505-L.jpg86167652-L.jpg

How's that? It should give you an idea of the performance, at nearly straight on....and he was flying!

Edit: P.S. this was with the 70-200 f2.8L IS.
    edited August 6, 2006
    Nothing better than an example.

:): . thumb.gif
    Obrigado Jeffro
    edited August 6, 2006
    How about an example of AI servo with the 20D?

86166298-L.jpg86166456-L.jpg86166621-L.jpg86166782-L.jpg86166979-L.jpg86167087-L.jpg86167252-L.jpg86167392-L.jpg86167505-L.jpg86167652-L.jpg

How's that? It should give you an idea of the performance, at nearly straight on....and he was flying!

Edit: P.S. this was with the 70-200 f2.8L IS.
    from Jeffro in
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39636&page=2

I shot these seagulls this afternoon
    86360241-M.jpg

86350544-M.jpg

Jeffro: How do you place the pics side by side ? Please. Obrigado.
    86350544-M.jpg
    Jeffro: How do you place the pics side by side ?

Nice capture! Oddly enough they don't show up side by side on my screen. But if they are on yours, here's what I did. I entered the first link, space, entered second link, space...and so on.
    edited August 8, 2006
    Thank you Jeffro.
    Image - space -image -space.
    It worked on a post I did where the photos were small.
    Doesn't matter now.

The second shot of the seagull was done the way you taught.
    I need practice. :):

Obrigado. thumb.gif