need to upgrade ps

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited August 4, 2006 in Finishing School
Okay, I have a couple of new books--Scott Kelby, etc--and clearly it's time to upgrade my antique (v. 5) version of Photoshop. What am I looking for? CS2? Elements? What is the difference between the two? And where is the best place to purchase? Thanks for your help, much appreciated, as always.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    G'day sara...i just google cs2 v's elements & got this...havnt read it myself though.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    It'd be a great help if you let us know what it is you want to accomplish, what your goals are as a photographer, and what your budget is. Without that kind of information we're just shooting in the dark.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I seem to recall you saying you get hired for shoots. So if you're doing pro work, then you should cough up the dosh for CS2.

Nice job on the books, Kelby's great! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    It'd be a great help if you let us know what it is you want to accomplish, what your goals are as a photographer, and what your budget is. Without that kind of information we're just shooting in the dark.

Been trnsitioning into digital over past couple of years. I shoot for a local newspaper, also do family and wedding photography, part time. I don't support myself entirely but it's a big love, and I like to do things well. Have darkroom experience, am very interested in upgrading my ps skills, and while I don't expect I will need every single feature in CS2 I think I would like the options. I've been slogging along with basic ps skills for several years, have only just recently begun delving beneath the surface. No turning back now. :):
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I seem to recall you saying you get hired for shoots. So if you're doing pro work, then you should cough up the dosh for CS2.

Nice job on the books, Kelby's great! thumb.gif

I also have Rick Sammon's Digital Editing Workshop book. Have not heard him mentioned here, but I am enjoying it. I found a source for a student discount for CS2 Premium--$389, including training dvd's. Found it via the link provided by Gus, above. I'm a student, so I believe I qualify for an academic discount. But there's no manual--that's the deal with the student rate. Whaddyah think?
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    sara505 wrote:
    Okay, I have a couple of new books--Scott Kelby, etc--and clearly it's time to upgrade my antique (v. 5) version of Photoshop. What am I looking for? CS2? Elements? What is the difference between the two? And where is the best place to purchase? Thanks for your help, much appreciated, as always.

A good compromise would be go to ebay and pick up a used version of CS (not CS2) - I've found it's the perfect set of functions for my needs.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    sara505 wrote:
    I also have Rick Sammon's Digital Editing Workshop book. Have not heard him mentioned here, but I am enjoying it. I found a source for a student discount for CS2 Premium--$389, including training dvd's. Found it via the link provided by Gus, above. I'm a student, so I believe I qualify for an academic discount. But there's no manual--that's the deal with the student rate. Whaddyah think?

$389 should get you the entire CS2 Suite, which you most likely don't need. Photoshop CS2 is $300
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops