What does Smugmug have that Zenfolio does not - let's make a list...

2»

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    We used to lose a few customers to Flickr because you could get a lot of comments on your photos there. And it had buzz & a coolness factor. And they got amazing traction because they were willing to go free.

But I notice we're getting Flickr customers now and one reason they tell us is:

"I was a Flickr user, but what I have been seeing there is a flood of absolute garbage all over the site. I blame the free version for this. It's easy to post your crap snapshots of your drunken buddy passed out on the floor. I don't believe for a minute they would pay money to post this kind of material."

For this reason, I hope there's never is a free version of Smugmug. I like that you have a natural filter because you charge some money and that you're not always looking for "other" ways to make money off us like so many other web properties.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    From the standpoint of feature-set, Smugmug clearly bests Zenfolio. In my mind, the question is what does Zenfolio have that Smugmug does not, and the answer is only one thing - super-slick and super-fast image browsing. I think this feature alone is what people end up liking about Zenfolio so much. I know I personally was taken aback at how much looking at photos on Zenfolio felt like using a local image-browing application.

So, I sat down and made a list of what I wish Smugmug had in terms of browsing functionality. That list became this post, where I suggest a new (or alterations to a current) gallery style.

So, that's my hat thrown into the ring. :D
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Here ya go!
    Andy wrote:
    It's on Anne's List :D
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2006/05/16/new-features-may-16th-2006/
    for now, you use the release notes.

I've been adding more to my post above..

You asked... we delivered. http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-photo-sizes

I'm glad you like this feature. It definitely deserves its own help page :D

-Anne
    edited August 21, 2006
    Needs full URL examples
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    You asked... we delivered. http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-photo-sizes

I'm glad you like this feature. It definitely deserves its own help page :D

-Anne

Anne, thanks for putting up that page. After reading it, I would suggest that you include a couple full URL working examples. The page as it is now only discusses the new suffix but leaves it to the reader to figure out what a full URL looks like. I think it would be significantly clearer if you put a few full URL working examples in there like this:

The normal large size URL to the image is: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/51379971-L.jpg.

The URL to a new image that has the same aspect ratio, but a width of 1000 pixels looks like this:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/51379971-1000x656.jpg. The "-L" suffix in the URL is replaced with "-1000x656". You only really need to specify the longest dimension since aspect ratio is preserved, so using "-1000x1000 "will return the exact same image as "-1000x656" as the longest dimension will be made 1000 pixels in size and the other will be scaled according to the aspect ratio of the image. Likewise "-1000x100" will make the height be 100 pixels and scale the width accordingly.

I pulled this image from one of the dgrin tutorials that didn't have image protection on.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 21, 2006
    Smugmug vs. Zenfolio thread on dpreview
    FYI, here's a thread on dpreview that started out with a user question:

"Smugmug v. Zenfolio - which do you prefer?".

The thread is just getting started and I added the list of things from this thread that I thought Smugmug has that Zenfolio doesn't have. It will be interesting to see what other postings show up in the thread and if anyone cares to trumpet some Zenfolio advantages.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 21, 2006
    You rock!
    jfriend wrote:
    Anne, thanks for putting up that page. After reading it, I would suggest that you include a couple full URL working examples. The page as it is now only discusses the new suffix but leaves it to the reader to figure out what a full URL looks like. I think it would be significantly clearer if you put a few full URL working examples in there like this:

The normal large size URL to the image is: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/51379971-L.jpg.

The URL to a new image that has the same aspect ratio, but a width of 1000 pixels looks like this:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/51379971-1000x656.jpg. The "-L" suffix in the URL is replaced with "-1000x656". You only really need to specify the longest dimension since aspect ratio is preserved, so using "-1000x1000 "will return the exact same image as "-1000x656" as the longest dimension will be made 1000 pixels in size and the other will be scaled according to the aspect ratio of the image. Likewise "-1000x100" will make the height be 100 pixels and scale the width accordingly.

I pulled this image from one of the dgrin tutorials that didn't have image protection on.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll make sure we beef that page up! thumb.gif

-Anne
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    This sentence is a little confusing -- "If you specify 1200x600, which is a 2:1 ratio, we have to pick either 1200x800 or 900x600." OK, which one did smugmug generate? I assume it is constrained by the smallest dimension, but this doesn't make it clear.
    edited August 22, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    This sentence is a little confusing -- "If you specify 1200x600, which is a 2:1 ratio, we have to pick either 1200x800 or 900x600." OK, which one did smugmug generate? I assume it is constrained by the smallest dimension, but this doesn't make it clear.
    Good catch. When I update that page, I'll be sure to clarify. It returns a 900x600 with a landscape-oriented photo, and 400x600 with a vertical photo.

-Anne
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    The key quality my clients want is good quality pictures dispayed fast.
    Zenfolio is slick, smooth and has a beautiful big picture display. And its fast. Did I mention that its fast?

One thing to keep in mind about this is simpy that Zenfolio is relatively new. There's a period early in the development of nearly every web company where they're going to be blazing fast simply because they don't have enough users to fully use their infrastructure. At some point they will begin to outgrow their infrastructure, and they will need to respond in some way.

Smugmug appears to be encountering those problems, and I think they're responding pretty well to the challenge. I don't know (yet) how well Zenfolio will response to the same challenge.
  • kevin.coppalottikevin.coppalotti Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    One thing to keep in mind about this is simpy that Zenfolio is relatively new. There's a period early in the development of nearly every web company where they're going to be blazing fast simply because they don't have enough users to fully use their infrastructure. At some point they will begin to outgrow their infrastructure, and they will need to respond in some way.

Smugmug appears to be encountering those problems, and I think they're responding pretty well to the challenge. I don't know (yet) how well Zenfolio will response to the same challenge.

Yes, I agree, the future is uncertain, but right now I do not enjoy using Smugmug because it is too slow and the picture display is too small. Zenfolio is a pleasure to use and view pics, and that is what my clients are telling me. I notice Pbase is feeling the heat as well, I had this email from them:

Hi,

We would like to inform you about some of the many new features we have been adding to PBase in recent months. You can also view more detailed information in the News Forum.

Increased Storage Space - You now receive 400 MB for the same $23/year.
    New Hardware - We have added a new, top of the line database server for greater reliability.
    PBlog Gallery Template - Display blog-style gallery entries with or without an accompanying image.
    New Help Pages - New searchable system to help you find exactly what you are looking for.
    Statistics - See a summary of your gallery and image hit counts.
    Slideshow - View images in a gallery as a slideshow by clicking the slideshow link at the top right of any gallery page.
    Upcoming PBase Printing Service - PBase looks forward to offering high quality, framed prints of your images in the near future.

Also, we encourage you to check out the most recent issue of PBase Magazine where you can find out about new features and read informative articles about everything from inspiring professional photographers to useful Photoshop techniques.

We hope that you enjoy these new features. We continue to appreciate any suggestions we receive on how to better serve your photo hosting needs.

Thanks,
    The PBase Team

If you cannot see the poll below, go to http://www.pbase.com/polls/pbase/4&account_id=666956&verify_key=3562b22e

Why didn't you upgrade to a full PBase account? You may select up to 5 options Missing features. I chose a different photo hosting site. Which one? I wanted to order prints of my photos. I have my own website. I wanted more storage space for my money. I was looking for a free site. Other
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Yes, I agree, the future is uncertain, but right now I do not enjoy using Smugmug because it is too slow and the picture display is too small. Zenfolio is a pleasure to use and view pics, and that is what my clients are telling me. I notice Pbase is feeling the heat as well, I had this email from them:

Hi,

We would like to inform you about some of the many new features we have been adding to PBase in recent months. You can also view more detailed information in the News Forum.

Increased Storage Space - You now receive 400 MB for the same $23/year.
    Wow, a whopping 400MB storage. :nah I just dont know how Pbase expects to stay competitive with updates like that.

And I agree with you. One of the things I asked myself before moving all my stuff to Zenfolio was...which site is just more enjoyable to use overall? While I dont think Smugmug is terrible to use mind you, but its just Zenfolio was soo good & such a breath of freshness. For me, the features at Smugmug werent enough to keep me (I didnt use most of them anyways), so all myself & most people saw was the user interface, which I think is the most important thing with any website or OS. It doesnt matter what features you throw at me, if the UI dont measure up, its all for nothing. I could use online printing & paid downloads, but I knew it was coming to Z pretty soon.

The internet is changing. Many sites are going through a transition right now & getting hip to the web 2.0 stuff, not just feature wise, but with user interface & the whole shebang inside & out.

Pbase sounds like they just arent getting it.
  • fashionfashion Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2006
    Both zenfolio and smugmug need something new ...
    I've been asking for flash based templates for ever ... it can't be that hard to offer users a flash version front end for their smugmug photos ... even if you made it a pro++++ account for an even higher fee, people would definitely pay, since we all know how expensive it is to create flash based front ends, specially if this small company serving a few thousand members can do it, I don't see why smugmug can't build one in a few days!!!

For example, check this sample for example ...
    http://www.solomodels.com/creative/index.cfm?fid=14353

I much prefer smugmug because of its expanded feature set, but neither the smugmug or zenfolio templates quite do it for me ... what I want is a smooth flash interface that I can use as my own website with my own photos ... www.phanfare.com seems to have created a flash version but its not done too well and I don't like the fact that you have to use a downloable software to use it.

Whichever company, smugmug, zenfolio, pbase, etc. builds a cool flash front end first will come out the leader in my opinion.