30D RAW files with Photoshop CS

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited August 11, 2006 in Cameras
I am trying to open my RAW files in CS and I am getting a "not the right kind of document" error. Is this an known incompatibility? I have shot in both sRGB and Adobe RGB.

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    You need
    Camera Raw 3.4 update

This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and 4.0 software. Visit the Camera Raw page for a complete list of supported cameras.

Important notice:
    Read the following installation instructions carefully. Incorrect installation will prevent Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw 3.4 from reading raw images correctly.

Support for the following cameras has been added in this update.

Canon EOS 30D
    Leaf Aptus 65
    Leaf Aptus 75
    Olympus EVOLT 330
    Olympus SP-320
    Pentax *ist DL2
    Samsung GX-1S

I believe it only runs in CS2. That is what I use and it works fine.

Source
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    You need

I believe it only runs in CS2. That is what I use and it works fine.

Source

I was afraid of that. I guess until then I will use Canon's software. It does let me transfer to PS, which is nice. It converts the file to a TIFF when it opens in PSCS. The only problem there is that PS won't let me save it as a JPEG file. Any ideas there? If I save it to the desktop for example in a TIFF file, open in PS I then can save as JPEG, but this is turning into way too may steps. I'd prefer to transfer directly from Canon to PS but I cannot if I want to save as a JPEG. headscratch.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 5, 2006
    dugmar wrote:
    I was afraid of that. I guess until then I will use Canon's software. It does let me transfer to PS, which is nice. It converts the file to a TIFF when it opens in PSCS. The only problem there is that PS won't let me save it as a JPEG file. Any ideas there? If I save it to the desktop for example in a TIFF file, open in PS I then can save as JPEG, but this is turning into way too may steps. I'd prefer to transfer directly from Canon to PS but I cannot if I want to save as a JPEG.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you headscratch.gif. PS will let you save anything you open as a JPG. Go to File->Save As and change the file type in the drop-down box. You may have to scroll to see the JPG option.
    edited August 5, 2006
    I wonder if you can use the most current DNG converter with CS? You could take the 30D from raw to dng then process the dng in CS? ne_nau.gif Just a thought and it might work. ne_nau.gif
    edited August 5, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you headscratch.gif. PS will let you save anything you open as a JPG. Go to File->Save As and change the file type in the drop-down box. You may have to scroll to see the JPG option.

I wish that were true. When transferred to PS from the canon raw software it comes up in PS as TIFF. But when I choose "save as" in PS, JPEG is not in the list of choices in the pull down menu. I'm scratching my head too.
    edited August 5, 2006
    dugmar wrote:
    I wish that were true. When transferred to PS from the canon raw software it comes up in PS as TIFF. But when I choose "save as" in PS, JPEG is not in the list of choices in the pull down menu. I'm scratching my head too.
    What version of PS are you using? I know it was there in PS7 but don't know anything about earlier versions. Did you scroll the list of choices up?
    edited August 5, 2006
    dugmar wrote:

is it a 16 bit tiff?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 5, 2006
    Convert the 16bit TIFF to 8 bit, and you will get a menu that includes jpgs, gif, pngs etc in PSCS2 Save As commnd.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 5, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Convert the 16bit TIFF to 8 bit, and you will get a menu that includes jpgs, gif, pngs etc in PSCS2 Save As commnd.

Right...same in PS7. That must have been the problem.
    edited August 6, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

BINGO. Thanks guys. First time using this Canon software.
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I wonder if you can use the most current DNG converter with CS? You could take the 30D from raw to dng then process the dng in CS? ne_nau.gif Just a thought and it might work. ne_nau.gif

Yes you can ... I do this all the time.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Just a quick claraification on the original question. PS CS only uses up to ACR 2.4 which does not support the 30D files. CS2 uses ACR 3.x, which newer versions should support it. You need a separate converter to save to TIFF, PSD, or JPG. It sounds like you found the DPP disk included with the camera which will do the job. There's a number of converters that you can try out (see here for reviews of a few: http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/rawconverters/rawconverters.htm

I personally prefer Bibble.