Working in RAW

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited August 6, 2006 in Finishing School
Hello all,

I shoot with a Canon 20D and am really getting into photo finishing (color correction, b/w conversion, etc.). I've always shot as JPG, but I hear a lot of talk about shooting in RAW. What are the benefits of this? I know the file size is larger, but the photos do not seem to look any different (at least to the naked eye). Do the files clean up better? Do the inherently look better?

For the record, I use Picasa a lot. I know it's not the best, but it's free.

Thanks!
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    Hello all,

I shoot with a Canon 20D and am really getting into photo finishing (color correction, b/w conversion, etc.). I've always shot as JPG, but I hear a lot of talk about shooting in RAW. What are the benefits of this? I know the file size is larger, but the photos do not seem to look any different (at least to the naked eye). Do the files clean up better? Do the inherently look better?

For the record, I use Picasa a lot. I know it's not the best, but it's free.

Thanks!

This is the kind of information request that is broad, and easily found via search. For instance, googling raw vs. jpeg brought up these results.

Not that we aren't happy to help answer your questions, but a little legwork on your part, a little self-education, goes a long way to making you self-sufficient. Come back with specific questions or things you don't understand, but at least try to find the answers yourself. Don't be a Help Vampire.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is the kind of information request that is broad, and easily found via search. For instance, googling raw vs. jpeg brought up these results.

Not that we aren't happy to help answer your questions, but a little legwork on your part, a little self-education, goes a long way to making you self-sufficient. Come back with specific questions or things you don't understand, but at least try to find the answers yourself. Don't be a Help Vampire.
    Well said! This is the second question this week, which had the OP googled for primary information - or even just visited the relevant website in the other case - their question would have been answered.

Yes, I am a grumpy old man.

Anthony.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    NewCreation, here's a Google search for RAW on smugmug. Lots of good stuff there.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    NewCreation, here's a Google search for RAW on smugmug. Lots of good stuff there.

er...dgrin

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Yeah, what he said. :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au