30D producing?

CloudkickerCloudkicker Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited August 8, 2006 in Cameras
Hey All I just got a 30d couple of months ago and it seems like its producing very grainy (noisy pictures). Is this a common problem on 30d's? What can I do about this? Thanks
Canon 30D, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L USM, Canon 580EX

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 6, 2006
    Hey All I just got a 30d couple of months ago and it seems like its producing very grainy (noisy pictures). Is this a common problem on 30d's? What can I do about this? Thanks

It helps us considerably if you post examples or links to full resolution examples with EXIF. Also please give a description of the conditions at the time of the shot and the camera settings.

The 30D is normally a very good camera with little visible grain from ISO 100-400.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006

I shot with my 30D for the first time this weekend. A lot of my images are VERY grainy. Some much more than my Digital Rebel on the same settings. I haven't uploaded any yet, I will post here when I do.

Doug
    edited August 6, 2006
    I have found that when browsing raw files with the Canon software they look very grainy. Once converted to TIFF files however the grainy feeling pretty much disappears.

This shot was in low light, appeared to be very grainy in RAW. It smoothed right out aferwards. Not a particularly good shot, especially with the blown out sky but I am just using it as an example...

86390194-L-0.jpg
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    IThe 30D is normally a very good camera with little visible grain from ISO 100-400.
    Problem is, the 20D did this up to 800. It does seem to be far more pronounced with the raw files, in fact if I shoot jpg from the camera the noise level is about half. Everything I have tried does a piss poor raw conversion from the 30D at high isos. Is something lost in translation here? Doug, I'm guessing you use the Canon software for the conversion? I'm just speculating, but it seems like all the 3rd party conversions, including Adobe even are using a variant of the 20Ds RAW spec, when in fact it seems Canon may have changed it more than that.
    edited August 8, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    Doug, I'm guessing you use the Canon software for the conversion? I'm just speculating, but it seems like all the 3rd party conversions, including Adobe even are using a variant of the 20Ds RAW spec, when in fact it seems Canon may have changed it more than that.

I did, my current version of PhotoShop CS will not convert my RAW files from my 30D, so it is my only option right now. Still getting used to it. I have been strictly PS before the 30D.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    I have not noticed such problems on my 30D - however, I always shoot in JPEG anyways, I haven't quite converted to RAW yet...I might work on that soon. :)

I shoot in ISO 1600 all the time, and it's hard to tell changes in the graininess or clearness or sharpness.

I can't tell you how to fix it, but I can tell you that it's not a common problem.

ne_nau.gif

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4